• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How can I fix my granola to make it clumpier?

Kim Shook

If you're willing to re-bake it a bit, a drizzle of honey or agave syrup will make clumps. Just bake for about 20 minutes, and start with hot syrup. You want to make sure to get some water evaporating and sugars changing. It will solidify as it cools.

The March/April 2012 issue of Cook's Illustrated had a recipe for 'super chunky' granola; PM me if you'renterested, and can't access it. The gist of the recipe is you bake it in an unbroken mass, then break it up when it's cooled.

KCET in Los Angeles has the recipe on their web site: 

"Weekend Recipe: Almond Granola with Dried Fruit"

Since it aired on the ATK show this season, the video episode where they made this recipe may be on the ATK web site free for viewing (I haven't checked it out to see if this is true).

I think they ended up using the flat side of a meat tenderizer to tamp down the granola before baking. It's broken into clumps after baking, as Mjx indicated.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Adequate sugar in whatever form plays an essential role and in addition, pulsing a small portion of the oats to make them finer and baking the mix between a couple sheet pans results in a clumpy, crisp and craggly granola.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I did try Lisa’s technique and it worked pretty well.  I baked it again at a very low temp for as long as it seemed to be safe and they were still a bit sticky, but held together very well.  I actually had to cut them with a bench scraper – too sticky to break apart.  They tasted great, but I won’t be able to reproduce them.  I used a kit that someone gave me.  It was crazy expensive – not something I’d spend my money on when I can buy the components for about 1/4 the price (though, very much appreciated as a gift, of course):

med_gallery_3331_119_129933.jpg