• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo LXXXVIi July 2014 Theme – The Smash

stacymarkow

Hi folks! 

I’m proud to announce that July’s theme is all about the Smash, those ice-laden, refreshing concoctions designed to celebrate my favorite things about life: stiff drinks and warm weather.

Let’s get ultra creative, smash things, and then drown them in alcohol and ice. Allow your creativity take flight and concoct sweet and/or savory combos to remember using any fruit or herbs you can get your hands on. Make your Smash and share it with us! 

Are you interested? If so, please join this awesome online cocktail party with us! 

Here's a link to the full announcement post! Please submit your drink to us by midnight on Monday, July 28, 2014 

http://www.stacymarkow.com/2014/07/13/mxmo-lxxxvii-the-smash/

Cheers!

Stacy Markow

Click here for the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums.

Edited by Mjx
Event terms link added. (log)

Nice topic although not seasonal in this hemisphere.  Still, one of the odd things about our Mediterranean climate is that my raspberries started to produce in early winter.  The frost has curtailed that but I managed to get about a cup of late berries so I had something to start with.

Fizzy Raspberry Rosemary Smash (for 2)

Place raspberries and 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves* in cream siphon with 4 oz reposado tequila

and charge with 1 CO2 cartridge

Shake and leave in fridge for 2 hours or so. 

Discharge siphon and shake with  2 teaspoons syrup and ice.

Pour over crushed ice

Garnish with rosemary sprigs

* All measures approximate because, well, I'm winging it anyway.

IMGP0015.JPG

Very pretty, quite refreshing. Pro tip: shakers don't seal worth a darn when the contents are degassing carbon dioxide.

Thanks for hosting, Stacy!

ETA: a tiny touch of lime might go well.

Edited by haresfur (log)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Nice topic although not seasonal in this hemisphere.  Still, one of the odd things about our Mediterranean climate is that my raspberries started to produce in early winter.  The frost has curtailed that but I managed to get about a cup of late berries so I had something to start with.

Fizzy Raspberry Rosemary Smash (for 2)

Place raspberries and 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves* in cream siphon with 4 oz reposado anejo tequila

and charge with 1 CO2 cartridge

Shake and leave in fridge for 2 hours or so. 

Discharge siphon and shake with  2 teaspoons syrup and ice.

Pour over crushed ice

Garnish with rosemary sprigs

* All measures approximate because, well, I'm winging it anyway.

attachicon.gifIMGP0015.JPG

Very pretty, quite refreshing. Pro tip: shakers don't seal worth a darn when the contents are degassing carbon dioxide.

Thanks for hosting, Stacy!

ETA: a tiny touch of lime might go well.

edit: I used anejo tequila, sorry.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Stuck at home browsing through my Twitter feed full of folks having tons of fun, I came up with what I'll call the:

"Who Needs Tales of the Cocktail?" Smash

Bs7NdhDIQAAuB_u.jpg

60 ml Inner Circle Blue Dot Rum

15 ml Yellow Chartreuse*

10 ml Mezcal Vida

1/2 of a Lemon, quartered (plus a wheel for garnish)

12 Blueberries (plus a few for garnish)

7 Mint Leaves (plus a sprig for garnish)

Everything but the mint was muddled in a tin, then the mint and ice were added, and the mix well shaken. I double strained onto crushed ice, added a mint sprig, lemon wheel and a few blueberries.

*The bottle in the picture (vintage 1999) is nearly full. It's just so pale that it's closer to the quasi-mythical White Chartreuse than any other bottle of Yellow I've ever seen. I have it on good authority that the monks may have been experimenting with alternate, less successful methods of imparting yellow color around this time period (possibly due to saffron price hikes).

Edited by KD1191 (log)
  • Like 3

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It's an old thread, but it seems to be the only one we have about the Smash!

Here is Dale DeGroff's Whiskey Smash with Rittenhouse rye, lemon, simple syrup, Angostura bitters, mint. Like a more refreshing, lighter weight version of a Julep.

Dale DeGroff's Whiskey Smash with Rittenhouse rye, lemon, simple syrup, Angostura bitters, mint #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #whiskey #smash #daledegroff #rye #ryewhiskey #mint #lemon

And here is the Gin Basil Smash (Jörg Meyer) with 33 Portland dry gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, basil. It's super refreshing and basil marries really well with gin.

Gin Basil Smash (Jörg Meyer) with 33 Portland dry gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, basil #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #gin #basil #smash #jorgmeyer

I was inspired to make both while reading Robert Simonson's A Proper Drinkir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=160774754 (also by Santa Ana/ the heat wave in San Diego a couple of weeks ago).

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)