• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

rotuts – here’s the link to the chicken recipe: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/CASSEROLES/Pecan_Chicken_Casserole.html - the topping is just more of the pecan crust crumbled.

BonVivant – gorgeous mussels!  One of my favorite summer meals. 

CatPoet – the same thing that happened to your rogan josh happened to Rachel on Friends and she ended up with a meat trifle.  Your ‘mistake’ looks MUCH better :smile: !

liuzhou – your crab and your salad are both just absolutely beautiful.  Pristine!

huiray – I love the look of the crust on your salt and pepper shrimp.  How do you do that?

Mark – Mr. Kim is extremely intrigued by your smoked chuck!  I think he’s going to be giving that a try.  Love the bark you got.

Kelly – lovely first post!  That steak is stellar.

Mr. Kim’s office picnic was Saturday.  I made a brown sugar pound cake and a wild rice salad with balsamic vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_114_135384.jpg

I was very flattered – a number of people came up to me to ask what I had made and then went right to them to help themselves!

A recent pre-dinner ‘snack’ was inspired by this cheese that we got from Relay Foods:

med_gallery_3331_114_148618.jpg

I made a tomato/basil bruschetta topping:

med_gallery_3331_114_88576.jpg

Split open the cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_81562.jpg

And made these:

med_gallery_3331_114_35565.jpg

So good and filling that we scrapped our dinner plans!

• Like 8

patrickamory: Oh we love the Madhur jaffery Keema. But we wanted something new so we went for something  that was really different.  I think the amount of Mace, star Anise, fennel and  ginger was made it smell like old biddy according to my husband. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Kim Shook, I'm not sure I can answer your question properly... The shrimp were just battered and deep fried in vegetable oil.  They were battered a bit heavily, yes, but I wanted to try to keep a bit more batter between the heads and the bodies to try to stem seeping of head cream from some of them (noticed after the first few went into the oil).  The batter was a 2 AP flour : 1 corn starch : 2 water mix with a bit of baking soda, some vegetable oil, an egg white and a bit of salt.  After deep frying and draining they were tossed in the pan w/ the scallions and chillies being sautéed/"stir-fried" with oil (plus salt & pepper) - so they get a fresh slight sheen of oil, maybe that is what you are thinking of?

"O, for a draught of vintage! that hath been

Cool'd a long age in the deep-delved earth,

Tasting of Flora and the country green,

Dance, and Provençal song, and sunburnt mirth!

O for a beaker full of the warm South,

Full of the true, the blushful Hippocrene,

With beaded bubbles winking at the brim,

And purple-stained mouth;

That I might drink, and leave the world unseen,

And with thee fade away into the forest dim:"

Spag Bol.

spag bol.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Spag Bol.

attachicon.gifspag bol.jpg

Your dish looks delicious but spag bol brings on a severe case of nausea.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pseudo 'Banh Mi'. Vietnamese food is mostly unknown in my food hell. 

We ate it with a tomato, cucumber, corriander salad. And 4 different beers. Too hot to cook!

(pics in .gif )

iqjGlUc4sAcxH.JPG

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 5

14707506606_4bce174122.jpg

14544055227_7d04195984.jpg

shrimp pasta, very last thing from Georgia.  We bought a bunch from this place that processed fresh shrimp off the boat.. they were unloading 15 k pounds off a shrimp boat when we went.. they kicked us a free pound on top of the 2 we asked for

a stick of butter, a quick shrimp stock of boiled shells, a tomato, garlic,wine, tomato paste, salt and pepper, cabbage and onion, Georgia shrimp.. homemade pasta, rolled out to second thinnest.. the pasta was perfect.

a little chile pepper, a little pasta water. 

so basically, cook up shredded cabbage in butter and onion, add salt to wilt, then slowly add shrimp stock, then half the glass of white wine you are drinking, then drop the fresh pasta in salt water, drop the shrimp with the cabbage, cover cabbage and shrimp , add the pasta to the cabbage and shrimp, some chili flakes,  a little pasta water, let them meld, life is good. 

14730498505_892f0baabf.jpg

I placed the steak in a vacuum chamber, cooked it in water for 13.5 hours, soaked it in a brine of champagne vinegar and beet juice..dipped it in liquid nitrogen before, i used a torch to char the outside. 

or maybe i just cooked it on the grill.

14730493155_2c007750dd_c.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 10

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

• Chanterelles, parsley, butter, salt, angel hair pasta.

DSCN2223a_800.jpg

Later on:

• Sockeye salmon, poached in Riesling w/ parsley, fennel & tarragon.  (and salt)

• Baby new potatoes, boiled & buttered.

• Baby Zephyr squash, sautéed.

DSCN2232b_800.jpg

• Like 6

Couscous with pomegranate seeds, mint and coriander (cilantro), served with braised duck. The duck marinated all day in red wine and garlic with chili pepper and S&P.

To contrast the relatively sweet flavours, there was also some bitter melon stuffed with pork and shiitake mushrooms, carrot and water chestnuts.

Pomegranate Couscous with Mint and Coriander.jpg

Duck with Couscous.jpg

Stuffed Bitter Melon with Pork and Shiitake Mushrooms.jpg

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Your dish looks delicious but spag bol brings on a severe case of nausea.

I meant the abbreviation NOT the food! Just realized how it might be interpreted! Damn.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

LOL I googled to see what illness is called spag bol but I couldn't find anything.

spag bol = spaghetti bolognese, thanks to Jamie Oliver who calls it that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/05/dining/the-chef-jamie-oliver-spag-bol-for-italians-real-and-imagined.html

personally speaking, the thought makes me gag but for other people, that's probably not so bad. de gustibus, etc.

It was called spag bol in the UK long before Jamie Oliver turned up. Even my mother calls it that, but she is French so what does she know.

That may be so, but it was only when JO appeared on the scene that I first heard of the term. Anyway, whenever I hear "spag bol", JO is the first person who comes to mind.

That may be so, but it was only when JO appeared on the scene that I first heard of the term. Anyway, whenever I hear "spag bol", JO is the first person who comes to mind.

Strange. When I hear "spag bol" I always think of Heston Blumenthals "In search of perfection". Excellent read ...

Spagbol is what  the Scottish side  calls what the Swedish side calls  Köttfärsås, I rather say spagbol  since  translated  köttfärsås means    Meat mince sauce and that sounds boring,

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

So, I had pasta e ceci last night.

I was craving lentils but I didn't have any in the pantry and opted for the next best thing.

Normally this is something folks usually have as the weather cools down, in the autumn and winter. For me, it's just an excuse to eat more carbs. I never met a carb I didn't like. :wink:

14728431414_61321c040e_z.jpg

Canned chickpeas are fine; soaked and cooked from dried is even better. If using canned, drain and rinse the chickpeas.

Clockwise from left: chickpeas; 1 clove garlic (sliced); 3 heirloom tomatoes, coarsely diced; 1/4 cup fresh heirloom parsley, finely chopped.

14544125370_abbb6c4f60_z.jpg

Warm garlic in olive oil....

14544124950_43d66568f5_z.jpg

Add parsley and fry for a bit...some recipes add rosemary and parsley, or rosemary, oregano and parsley; use whatever you've got on hand.

Adding some chopped pancetta (bacon) or red pepper flakes adds more layers of flavor.

14727612821_5f7592cfc3_z.jpg

Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt and black pepper. The tomatoes will eventually break down...

...and look like this:

14544123930_e6cb5378d5_z.jpg

You can leave the tomato coarse or break them up with a wooden spoon.

Then add the chickpeas, a little more salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes so that the flavors blend.

Then add enough water to cover the chickpeas and simmer for 5 more minutes.

14727612061_d2c66fd495_z.jpg

Then add cooked pasta that's slightly underdone; it will finish cooking in the pot. I like orzo or ditalini; you see twists because that's what I had available.

Taste for salt and pepper, then serve at once. Some people drizzle extra-virgin olive oil while others (like me) pass cheese at the table.

14728428914_7ceee0c8ac_z.jpg

14750653053_a0e618f4fc_z.jpg

Pasta e ceci ("pasta and chickpeas")

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 5