• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Soba put it up for next season. It said to be lovely, how ever I am  highly intolerant to roses so  I have only sniffed it.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Soba put it up for next season. It said to be lovely, how ever I am  highly intolerant to roses so  I have only sniffed it.

It'll have to be a trial and error run and a limited small quantity.

Those roses aren't cheap. You're looking at approx. $5 for a box that contains about 1/2 cup of miniature edible roses. I tried to convert that quantity to the metric system but I'm not sure of the weight.

I'll keep it in mind for the future though. (Is there a canning/preserving thread? Might want to split this off. I'm starting to explore canning in baby steps; I want to make jam, jelly and canned tomato confit.)

In celebration of Bastille day I went all out yesterday -

Bone marrow, lemon and thyme gremolata, chive salad. The bone marrow was cooked (from frozen) on the grill in a cast iron skillet. The gremolata and chive salad (dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar, s&p) is a vague attempt at cutting some of the richness from the marrow.  I was already comatose after this but so happy.

14635783156_a45b252352_z.jpg

Then I had a hanger steak with Bordelaise sauce. I used the cast-iron skillet that still had the marrow juices to cook the steak. Once it was done (which took about 5 minutes - just enough time to get a good sear), I put the skillet back on the grill while the meat was resting, added a ton of thinly sliced shallots and a good amount of butter, caramelized the shallots a bit, deglazed with red wine vinegar, added red wine that I reduced, added more butter to emulsify the whole thing, finally adding chives, and the juices from the meat. Sounds complicated but this only took a few minutes.

I really like hanger steak - it's flavorful (some might say, slightly gamey) and tender at the same time. This one from one of my favorite butcher's shops was a prime example.

14658810105_fd2e953a55_z.jpg

• Like 7

Mm84321 – another masterpiece.

FrogPrincesse – Great way to celebrate Bastille Day.

Kim – Love everything that comes out from your kitchen. A big Wow for the burger!

Shelby – A perfect pizza is a home made pizza, like yours.

SobaAddit – consistently beautiful pictures.

Huiray – That is one amazing Linguine alle zucchine e fiori di zucca..

Patrickamory – I always admire your pasta dishes.

Liuzhou – A perfect summer dinner.

-       - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Went to the farmers market, Yellow squash looked nice, and rainbow trout smelled fresh. So it was Rainbow trout on squash. Compatible food pairing? Who cares. I was hungry.  :raz:

dcarch

troutsquash2_zps275fb901.jpg

troutsquash_zps2781c0fe.jpg

• Like 16

Grilled chicken and vegetables just minutes away from the table.  The chicken was seasoned with a spice blend from World Spice (Khmeli Suneli) consisting of basil, savory,fenugreek seed & leaf, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and coriander mixed with Rouses's cajun seafood boil.  A little unconventional but the flavor profile is fantastic.  Served with a mixed greens salad.

P1020945r.jpg

• Like 3

dcarch thanks - and I had to laugh! brilliant.

Paul I tried not rinsing the meats this time and it was just as good. so I think that part of the recipe can (thankfully) be discarded.

So would you conclude then that it WAS nonna laughing into her sleeve? ;-) :-)

• Like 1

So would you conclude then that it WAS nonna laughing into her sleeve? ;-) :-)

My guess is, Nonna lived in a time & place (and climate) where minced meats were less reliably hygienic than those in a modern American supermarket.

• Like 2

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

darch,

I can't stop smiling at your squash.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My guess is, Nonna lived in a time & place (and climate) where minced meats were less reliably hygienic than those in a modern American supermarket.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147265-dinner-2014-part-2/page-15?p=1962282#entry1962282

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147265-dinner-2014-part-2/page-15?p=1962297#entry1962297

• Wild-caught US prawns stir-fried w/ ginger, scallions, hot long green chillies, shallots, Redmond salt, white pepper, and Shao Hsing Hua Tiao rice wine.

Yu choy sum stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice.

DSCN2139a_800.jpg

DSCN2140a_800.jpg

Stuff for the prawn dish (minus the wine)

DSCN2131a_600.jpg

• Like 5

Nice, Shelby. Did you form the taco bowls yourself, and are those standard flour tortillas? They look like they have an extra color/flavoring.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown