• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Fired up the smoker and did some beef ribs.

I picture you casually wandering out to the patio/deck on a moment's notice and doing this BBQ magic. You make it look so easy, but I know it's not! (definitely not easy for me) 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

I picture you casually wandering out to the patio/deck on a moment's notice and doing this BBQ magic. You make it look so easy, but I know it's not! (definitely not easy for me) 

Yeah, you definitely don't on the spur of the moment decide to smoke anything :)  But, IME, it's SO worth it.  The best meat ever.

• Like 1

Blether – another delicious sounding quiche.  I love the sausages perched atop.  And I also love the bottom of your crust.  I’m always aiming for that color, but usually get a much more pale bottom crust.

Patrick – your Maine meals have me dreaming of a trip!

Shelby – you should try using egg roll wrappers for lasagna sometime.  Use a couple in place of one sheet of lasagna.  Incredibly tender and the perfect thinness.

dcarch – Thank you!  And I laughed at the rest of your comment, because I said almost the same thing when I saw the set in the store.  It came with 2 others – a longer knife and a teardrop one for making Parm shards, but they all have that wooden handle that makes them look like some kind of woodworking tool.  What is that that your beautiful salmon is resting on? 

Tonight was breakfast for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_15610.jpg

Eggs, great peaches, hash browns and some wonderful local sausage that we got from the farmer’s market.  Served with freezer biscuits:

med_gallery_3331_114_45342.jpg

And the best strawberry preserves I’ve ever tasted:

med_gallery_3331_114_93061.jpg

Time to tuck myself into bed.  Mr. Kim’s Fantasy Football draft party is Wednesday night and tomorrow is the big prep day.

• Like 7

Those look really pretty, mgaretz. Sorry for asking, but have you posted the recipe and/or method before? It looks like a rub on fairly thick chops. Do you have to watch out for the chops being too lean?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The meals here just keep getting better.

Huiray,  I'd like to thank you for giving a basic outline to go with your photos.  I really appreciate it.   So many of your meals I want to try and make.

A few of our recent meals.

00%20flour%20Pizza%20August%2022nd%2C%20

Finally found some Caputo 00 Flour.  Pizza dough made the night before.

00%20flour%20Pizza%20August%2022nd%2C%20

Topped with fresh mozzarella , Italian Sausage and sauteed mushrooms.

Antipasto%20Platter%20August%2016th%2C%2

Antipasto%20Platter%20August%2016th%2C%2

We have been having some hot days this summer.   So one night we had an antipasto dinner.

Grilled%20Pork%20and%20Indian%20Pilaf%20

Pork tenderloin rubbed with a mixture of cumin, cardamom, coriander, turmeric, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzled with olive oil and the juice of a lime and put it in the fridge for an hour. Cooked on the grill.

Grilled%20Pork%20and%20Indian%20Pilaf%20
Rice Pilaf and  picked some beans out of the garden and made a Green bean and potato curry.

• Like 17

Oh I wished you could have seen the glory of my dinner today but I had guest and I dont take pictures then, unless they are food nerds too.

A lovely Beef stew, thick gravy made out of caramelised onions, mustard, cloves, all spice, bay, dark beef stock and Trappist beer , slowly simmered for 4 hours, perfectly risen  yorkies and golden brown  rosties and   peas and pickled cucumber.

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Due to circumstances entirely within my control, dinner tonight was a sandwich.

image.jpg

In the making.

image.jpg

Ready to eat with a side of Kerry Beal's luscious candied tomatoes.

The other half will make:

A). A late night snack

Or

B). Breakfast

Or

C). Lunch

Depending very much on my will power.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Those look really pretty, mgaretz. Sorry for asking, but have you posted the recipe and/or method before? It looks like a rub on fairly thick chops. Do you have to watch out for the chops being too lean?

Probably have, but pretty simple:  The chops are oiled with EVO and the rub is Meathead's Memphis Dust (I use the version with salt - he has since taken it out of the recipe and advocates dry brining with just salt and then applying the rub just before going on the smoker).   The smoker is set to 225F (it's a Rec Tec pellet grill and will hold that temp within a degree or two).  Smoke to an IT of 145F.  I use a leave-in remote thermometer (a Maverick 732) so I have a constant readout of the temperature.  Since the chops are cooked low and slow (well they only take about 90 minutes, but that's slow compared to direct heat), no need to worry about how lean they are.  They come out moist and tender.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

it looks like I have this steak thing down

14855174679_2124b85b8c_z.jpg

15041810751_9dbf0e5ddc_z.jpg

Golden egg potatoes stuffed with cream fraiche.  Brussels sprouts fried then topped with a sriracha honey sauce..

Bernaise and bordelaise..  To start we had bone marrow salad.. Homemade peach and blackberry pie..  It was an awesome night with one of my best friends growing up and his husband, who I  met for the first time.     

Always a good night, when your dinner guests end up sleeping over.. 

• Like 14

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Another simple dinner.

• Deep-fried soft tofu chunks.  Chopped scallions.  (The oil was turmeric and shrimp infused, though, from 2 retained batches used previously)

• Sautéed zucchini.  Garlic (Siberian Red) & salt.

• White rice.

DSCN2525a_800.jpg

DSCN2530a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

Ann,

That's how I like my pizza,  not a big fan!!  of the balloon edged pies. my self

Hand shaped or rolled?

Cheers

Hand shaped Paul.

Our 35th Anniversary Dinner.

Chicken%20Breasts%20Perigord%20August%20

Chicken Breasts Perigord. The chicken breasts are boneless, with a mushroom Duxelle stuffed under the skin. Based on a  Lucy Waverman recipe that has been a favourite of us both for many years.

• Like 11

Anna, can I find the recipe of the candied tomatoes somewhere?

I don't have the recipe. But I will pass your request on to Kerry who does.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14863395938_307078be3f_z.jpg

"A Play on Caprese"

Pan-toasted shishito peppers, heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, dressed with sea salt, black pepper and extra-virgin olive oil

My basil went south so it was time to improv.

14863336100_e476784d50_z.jpg

Pasta with uncooked tomato sauce

Begin with finely chopped onion and minced fresh parsley (proportions are up to you but a good rule of thumb is 1 medium onion and 1/4 cup fresh parsley), slowly cooked with 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over low heat, in a covered saucepan for 30 minutes.

While the onion is cooking, chop your tomatoes. For this dinner which served two hearty eaters, I probably used 4-5 medium heirloom tomatoes. Chop them -- whether coarsely or finely is up to you -- and place them in a bowl.

Bring your pot of water to a boil, seasoned with sea salt. Prepare pasta until its al dente, then drain.

When the onion is done, taste for salt and pepper if necessary, then remove from heat.

Combine the pasta, the tomatoes and the onion/parsley mixture. Mix well. Taste for salt and pepper once more, then serve at once.

• Like 6

20140827_170127_zps2442d621.jpg

Pork chop with allspice,  gravy, potatoes, carrot and fried apples ( apples, onion, bacon, sage and allspice.

• Like 6

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Florida butter beans with caramelized onions and bacon. This was a Rancho Gordo recipe - I found that the onions and bacon overpowered the rather mild beans, which were much better the next day without the garnish. Still, a bit chalky and characterless, perhaps my least favorite RG bean that I've tried to date.

beans.jpg

• Like 1