• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

I am going to look for those squash in our farmers' markets. The yellow/green color change gives those squash a lovely geometry. Do they have a distinctive flavor?

I don't know if they have a distinctive taste - not that I can really tell anyway - but I have never done a side-by-side comparison with other kinds of squashes/zucchini either.

In what surely passes for one of the worst plating demonstrations of the year (to say nothing of the photography)...

2014_07_13_115.JPG

Sorta shrimp and grits -  Long Island scallops over Riverplains Farm's (Strawberry Plains, TN) Hickory Cane stone-ground polenta, sautéed market turnip greens and green beans.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14669219223_5b1c0728db_z.jpg

Lamb's quarters (wild spinach)

14647112674_2ecd187c68_z.jpg

Greens on toast, with fromage blanc, pipelchuma and lime juice

There's slow-cooked onion in olive oil, until the onions are golden brown, then I added chopped garlic and blanched lamb's quarters , then cooked that until the greens were warmed through, then seasoned to taste with sea salt, black pepper, a touch of pipelchuma and lime juice. Then topped toasted Italian bread spread with fromage blanc with the cooked greens, then drizzled with olive oil.

14649311415_4cbd6ef46e_z.jpg

Spaghetti con vongole, with fried breadcrumbs and bottarga

• Like 4

Welcome to eGullet, spipet. Is that a sous vide egg atop the steak? It looks a little too firmly sculpted, yet malleable, to have been poached. If I'm way off base, we'll blame it on your photo! ;-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome to eGullet, spipet. Is that a sous vide egg atop the steak? It looks a little too firmly sculpted, yet malleable, to have been poached. If I'm way off base, we'll blame it on your photo! ;-)

Thanks Smithy. It indeed is a sous vide egg. 75 degrees Celsius, 13 minutes, straight from the fridge. I have been experimenting a lot with eggs, since some of my guests don't like their whites too soft...

spipet: that wasnt a crap photo.  I use my mobile for taking food pictures even thought I have  a system camera and  5 lenses.  I dont want to faff about with them, just to make people think  my food is prettier then theirs.  Food is also about how it taste and I prefer my dinner warm.

20140714_171728_zpsdffb4e1d.jpg

Scottish comfort food,  mince and tatties.  photogenic  no, yummy OH YES!     Every one in the family loves this and well my daughter licks her plate afterwards.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Love the Bun..  I mean  all of it..but that's a good buns to meat ratio  :wacko:  :laugh:  :blush:

Suz

And the right kind of bun, too,

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• Tomato soup, w/ fresh small basil leaves & black truffle oil.

De-skinned, de-seeded ripe tomatoes.  Sliced shallots & sliced garlic softened/very lightly browned in EVOO; broken-up tomatoes & water added, salted, simmered for 45m-1h, hon-mirin and basil leaves added, simmering continued for about half an hour. Roughly blended (stick blender).

DSCN2128a_800.jpg

• Linguine alle zucchine e fiori di zucca.

Baby zucchini separated from their blossoms (after washing &etc), quartered.  Sliced garlic just barely browned in EVOO on medium/low heat, reserved; heat turned up, zucchini quarters lightly browned in the oil.  Diced Prosciutto di Parma slices and quartered Campari tomatoes added, stirred around for a minute.  Salted.  Al dente fettucine [Ferrara] & about half of the zucchini blossoms (quartered) added, tossed w/ addition of some reserved pasta water & the reserved garlic.  Plated with the remaining blossoms (halved) nestled on top.

DSCN2123a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Simple grazing dinner tonight.

14472637379_8b95859053_z.jpg

14659279145_8ab5245f01_z.jpg

Roasted cauliflower and hazelnut salad (page 62 of "Jerusalem")

The salad takes about 35 minutes to make, including prep. Roast some cauliflower, prep the celery and hazelnuts, pick off some parsley leaves, make the dressing; once the cauliflower is done, combine with the celery, parsley leaves, hazelnuts, pomegranate seeds (I subbed dried cranberries that were plumped in boiling water), spices and the dressing; mix well; taste for salt and pepper, then serve.

14658905792_fc6004ba88_z.jpg

Arctic char, Castelvetrano olive tapenade

14470668249_3120ac2578_z.jpg

Made a batch of rose vinegar that turned out quite well.

3 tablespoons organic, pesticide-free edible rose petals

1 cup white wine vinegar, brought to a simmer in a saucepan

Combine rose petals and white wine vinegar in a sterilized glass jar. Seal. Place jar in a cool, dark place. Steep rose petals in vinegar for 6 weeks, then strain and use as desired.

It has a gorgeous color, a lovely bouquet and just the faintest hint of a rose-like flavor.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 5

huiray & Liuzhou – thank you for the help with the mushroom ID – now, if I can find more – Mr. Kim loved it!

caroled – Mr. Kim should have noticed that – he’s the family Trekkie :laugh: !

Shelby – too bad we don’t live closer.  We’d take that Wensleydale off your hands.  We love it - especially the ginger with pears.  And, oh dear – BLT’s.  Nothing on earth beats one.

dcarch – ah!  That explains a LOT :laugh: .  Those stuffed wings look and sound so good.

Nina – that belly looks really meaty and gorgeously crisp!

Steve – that tarte looks so incredibly gorgeous and browned.  Do you use just regular old bucket lard or leaf lard?

CatPoet – those crusty potatoes look perfect and the Permafrost meat sound really interesting.  I’d love to try it – what is the texture like?

Mark – If I could produce something that looked as good as your tri tip, I’d repeat myself every week!

William – gorgeous pizza.  Now I want pizza for lunch!

A couple of nights ago - just salad and spaghetti:

med_gallery_3331_114_125803.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_62451.jpg

Then another salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_7224.jpg

With fried flounder, creamed corn and marinated cucumbers:

med_gallery_3331_114_147314.jpg

Didn’t have the energy for hush puppies, I’m afraid.

Night before last was Relay Foods rib eyes and kale:

med_gallery_3331_114_42015.jpg

Just a tad over medium-rare:

med_gallery_3331_114_44477.jpg

They were good, but I’m not sure that they were $24/lb. good.

Mr. Kim’s ‘overflow’ plate with squash and creamed corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_156170.jpg

• Like 7