• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

FayxPas; yes a open sandwich. We even  has a saying in Sweden about  that type of shrimp sandwich.   Glida in på en räkmacka ( slide in on a  shrimp sandwich) , said about some one who just get all the best with out doing anything for and in most often not deserving it. 

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

So maybe I just need to suck it up and try it!  

I don't have an easy way to do deep fried, but maybe that would make me braver about trying the heads.  :smile:

FauxPas, even if you don't eat the heads don't you use them (together w/ the shells & legs) for making prawn/shrimp stock?  When I can, I've selected whole prawns with lots of orange hepatopancreas (equivalent of the tomalley in crabs & lobsters) and either eaten the whole prawn & head (crunch, crunch) or sucked out the head juices, depending on the preparation; or reserved the heads (and shells etc) for making stock - in the latter case usually after tossing them around in a hot pan w/ a little oil before quenching with water and simmering (seasoning to be adjusted) to give stocks similar to this one (scroll down a bit).  Such "tomalley"-rich stocks are the backbones of many kinds of dishes; one example in SE Asian cuisine would be Penang Har Mee.  The "head juices/fluids" including the hepatopancreas usually would be the most "shrimpy"/"prawny"-tasting part(s) of the whole creature. ;-)

ETA: An example of a version of Penang Har Mee I made back in 2012 posted on eG: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143989-lunch-whatd-ya-have-2012%E2%80%932014/#entry1901166  :-) 

ETA2: Of course, head-on prawns/shrimps deteriorate faster than headless ones; so one needs to take that into account.  In your case that would not be an issue since you get them right off the boat.  (I'm envious!)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

A leisurely dinner in a few stages over several hours.

• Hiyayakko.

Soft tofu blocks, with dipping sauce, Katsuobushi, shaved/grated daikon, chopped scallions.

Hokkaido Kelp Flavor naturally brewed soy sauce [Wei Chuan] diluted w/ water, Hondashi flakes stirred in, then hon-Mirin [Takara] added and the mixture zapped in the microwave for ½ a minute.

DSCN2160b_800.jpg

• Soup.  Sliced garlic, oil, chicken stock, snow fungus (rehydrated), chopped scallions, tofu chunks.

DSCN2167b_800.jpg

• Broiled turmeric chicken wings.§

• Tuscan kale (de-ribbed, chiffonaded) “stir-fried”/cooked w/ salt (initially very hot oil)l & ryori-shu at the end.

• Broiling residues/fond reheated w/ some water & a little more salt.

• White rice.

§Chicken wings marinated w/ ground turmeric (lots), a little ground cumin, very generous ground black pepper & some white pepper, Redmond salt, palm sugar, rice bran oil, water.

DSCN2171a_800.jpg

DSCN2172a_800.jpg

• Like 6

So maybe I just need to suck it up and try it!  

I don't have an easy way to do deep fried, but maybe that would make me braver about trying the heads.  :smile:

Try them with smaller shrimp. I don't think I've ever had (large/giant) shrimp heads that were deep-fried.

• Like 1

Shelby, you are so right, nothing can comfort like Italian food (I see you snuck in some zucchini with the spaghetti). I had a rotten day Wed and comforted with pizza...great minds think alike!

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

We had comfort food too, it became homemade pizza.   My daughter  had  falukorv on hers. I had tomatoes, smoked feta, chicken, olive, onion and basil, really  lovely, how ever  the tomatoes was borderline too sweet.  If I had done a tomato galette I could have served it with  whipped cream with no problem.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Took out  the wrong meat from the freezer so today it became  Texas steak with  crispy potatoes,  baked onion and breaded carrots, lovely pan gravy and  a few tomatoes.

Breaded carrots? :huh:

Savory breaded? Sweetly breaded? Please let me know the recipe. They sound interesting.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Been away for a bit.  Went fishing today. Missie K caught this 12 pound Bonnet Head Shark.. We caught a bunch of whiting, a bunch of flounders and some blues.  

14688452785_099b38e39c_z.jpg

We rented this house and have a kitchen. They gave us pots and pans and things but, we have a barren kitchen. We bought salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, butter, olive oil, local vegetables but, it still doesn't feel like it amounts to much.  Not to mention bread and sandwich meat for lunches to pack in the cooler at the beach, cobia steaks,  pancakes in the morning, late night grilled cheeses, a steak or two, ice pops, some a few pounds of beautiful shrimp, beautiful peaches, spaghetti, plums, boiled peanuts, green beans, butter beans, a couple of melons, yogurt, Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls, cereal and beer.. Ok, maybe it is a good amount of food.  

14685275291_9715ed0d37_z.jpg

Here is bag of whiting from today.. Made a pasta.. Garlic, a packet of sugar from the coffee machine set up, rosemary from outside the house, some really nice tomatoes, olive oil, salt, capers and garlic

14686063754_07b1ca6545_z.jpg

14501302599_17b61bbde3_z.jpg

Second course a couple of hours later, shark meuniere.  covered the shark in old bay I had leftover from a shrimp boil we did the other night,  clarified butter, lemon, a shot of mustard.  Served with corn

14685560594_96ff3ae28b_z.jpg

• Like 8

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Toliver:  I found this recipe for breaded carrots in a  cook book  from 1921 , that promotes   deep frying in lard, not that I did that.

You cook small carrots until barley tender, dry them off, then dip in flavoured flour, in this case they use ground caraway and thyme and then dip in whisked egg and then in  dry bread crumbs and the deep fried until golden.

• Like 1

Octopus, bacon and root vegetables

DSC_0057_zps677b9fab.jpg

Octopus was cold smoked for about 90 minutes. It was then cooked sous vide (77C/5 hours) before being 'peeled' and seared briefly. The root vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, fennel and parsnips with a little bit of garlic) were roasted. The bacon--my own--was diced and slowly crisped with some diced purple potatoes. I hit the finished dish with some parsley and lemon juice for freshness.

• Like 3

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Tenderloin, Mashed Potato, Red Chile Sauce and Grilled Corn and Poblano Salad-

IMG_2078.JPG

The chile sauce is incredibly easy--about 12 dried chiles of your choice, I used 2 dried chipotles and 10 or so dried ancho chilies.  Soaked in simmering water for about 30 minutes to rehydrate.  Then rinsed out the seeds and into a blender.  I added some charred garlic, charred onion, honey, sugar, liquid smoke, dried Mexican oregano, salt, pepper and enough of the chile water to thin the sauce.  After I blend the sauce I then cook it over a low heat to pull out more flavor.

The salad was a mix of grilled corn, grilled poblano, grilled red pepper, tomato, fresh oregano, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  It was good, but lacked a punch of flavor so tonight I'll add cilantro and some fresh diced jalapeno. 

• Like 6

Sea Island red peas. Soaked overnight and drained. Simmered an equal mixture of ham stock and chicken stock, added the drained beans along with onion, celery, garlic clove, bay leaf, a pork neck bone and some homemade Jamaican curry powder. Back to a simmer, then into a 250F oven for about 2 hours. Removed, seasoned with salt and about half a finely chopped habanero, returned to oven for 20-30 minutes. Blended a portion of peas and liquid and returned to pot. Removed and discarded vegetables and aromatics. Added sliced serrano ham and freshly minced habanero. Served on buttered carolina rice.

It's hard to overemphasize the depth and complexity of this dish - earthy but with the subtlety of bitter chocolate and the aroma of juniper. That only scrapes the surface actually. Anson Mills does it again, or maybe I'm still just learning about the intensity & levels of flavor of legumes. Please try it.

sea_island_red_peas.jpg

• Like 11

14695682062_1ce0c988a7_z.jpg

14509294410_08a432163a_z.jpg

Herbed ricotta cheese, roasted cherry tomatoes

Cheese: 1/2 cup cow's milk ricotta cheese, 1/2 tablespoon each chopped oregano, Thai basil and heirloom parsley, pinch sea salt and black pepper

Tomatoes: 1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half, seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and olive oil, then roasted for 1 hour at 350 F.

14692800431_d75b14c2f8_z.jpg

14509522897_b83c58d3b4_z.jpg

Heirloom tomato and stone fruit salad

Consists of 2 heirloom tomatoes and 2 peaches cut into wedges, seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and dressed with a white wine vinaigrette, garnished with Thai basil, oregano and scallion.

14694130754_e71d543a39_z.jpg

Escarole sandwich

Basically escarole fried in olive oil, with garlic, anchovy and egg, then stuffed inside a baguette that's been dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

• Like 10