• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Recent dinners.

--------------------------------------------

• Shin Black Spicy Pot-au-feu Flavor Noodle Soup [Nongshim] with chopped scallions, shishito peppers & deep-fried sliced shallots.

• The remainder of the ground chuck & tofu w/ rice, and harm choy tong from the previous night.

DSCN2547a_800.jpg

• Pressed tongue & coarse Braunschweiger [both from Claus’], semolina bread [Amelia’s], scallions; pickled long Japanese cucumbers w/ wakame & sesame seeds.

• Chicken broth (from pastured chicken frames) w/ red carrots (largely leached into the broth) & Chinese celery; plus some sliced ginger & sea salt.

DSCN2548a_800.jpg

DSCN2550a_800.jpg

• Fish curry.

Oil, diced shallots, finely julienned ginger, fresh turmeric finely diced then ground in a mortar & pestle, fresh curry leaves (karuveppilai, கருவேப்பிலை; Murraya koenigii), ground coriander seed & a little ground cumin seed, “green” cardamom pods, a few fresh bay leaves, sea salt, tamarind slurry (from wet seedless paste [Dragonfly] + hot water), palm sugar; water, simmered; hot long red chillies (partly de-seeded) & hot long green chillies, simmered; soft tofu chunks, simmered; very generous trimmed fresh coriander leaves & stems (as intact entire branches) (a whole bunch), monkfish slices, simmered till the fish was just cooked.  Served.

• Wong Nga Pak (Napa cabbage) stir-fried w/ garlic, salt.

• White rice.

DSCN2555a_800.jpg

DSCN2552a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

a picture of my first batch of tomato jam.   I used it on a jalapeno popper burger last night and  also with melted brie ,roasted garlic  and crackers today.  I water bathed a couple jars  to hopefully be good for xmas.   

tomatojam_zpsdd8782d8.jpg

• Like 7

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

image.jpg

So dinner in my dreams was a 2 1/2 inch thick perfectly marbled, perfectly cooked ribeye. No such thing exists in my freezer. It is Labour Day. None of the grocery stores are open in my area. So dinner was canned salmon flavor boosted with some ginger, sriracha sauce and scallions with a side of broccoli and potatoes baked then pan fried in duck fat. No it didn't measure up to a ribeye but it was adequate.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made  " Carrot Soup "

Worked of NM --pressure cooked carrots, but I couldn't add the soda.  Pressure cooked garden carrots for about 20 mins @15 PSI

finished with Sherry Vinegar,  grated ginger, Tarragon and Caraway seeds

Wife thought too much ginger..

IMG_7543.JPG

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

14927087248_32eb96ba0a_z.jpg

Carrot and caraway crostini, marinated olives

Basically sliced carrots and a garlic clove simmered in lightly salted water until the carrots are tender, then combined with onion sautéed in olive oil and seasoned with sea salt, black cumin seed and caraway seed, then puréed in a blender or food processor, along with a little lemon juice.

14927002790_fe4228e7dc_z.jpg

Chicken, braised with wine and tomatoes

15113654405_290819187f_z.jpg

Sautéed radishes, North African herb sauce.

North African herb sauce (from David Tanis' book, "One Good Dish"): coriander seeds, cilantro leaves, parsley leaves, serrano chile, preserved lime, scallions, mint, sea salt, extra-virgin olive oil, cumin seed. The mint and preserved lime are my own additions.

[Host's note:  this topic has grown too big for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 7