• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Anna, can I find the recipe of the candied tomatoes somewhere?

Here you go.  Sicilian Tomato Jam from Davina Cucina's blog.  

I'm going to make another batch tomorrow with some slightly larger tomatoes. 

• Like 1

Fried rice.

Duck fat, chopped smashed garlic (Siberian Red), char-siu chopped into small chunks, Chinese long beans (green and purple) chopped into short lengths, sea salt, 3 farm eggs scrambled in situ with a little additional vegetable oil, 2-day-old white rice, Redmond salt, chopped scallions & coriander leaves, thinly-sliced de-seeded hot long red chilli.

Pickled Japanese long cucumbers, w/ wakame & toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN2538a_800.jpg

• Like 4

I don't know what has gotten into me, but...

14868529658_dfab6e16eb.jpg

A bicycle ride past a small farmer's market made me do this.  White corn that looks as if it might've been slightly cross-pollinated with some yellow. Green beans and yellow wax beans, Southern style, thankfully with a little bacon.  Fresh field tomatoes with black salt.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Squid, cucumber, radish and cashew nuts with citrus-chilli dressing, I almost exactly followed the recipe here. The only thing I changed was that I used hot chillies rather than mild. Served with Thai rice.

I'll be making it again.

squid.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

20140828_165750_zps88c17474.jpg

Mexican  corn chowder  with nachos and crispy bacon.  Lovely, creamy and flavourful, we make this  one or two times per year because so rich and  not good for your waste line.  The recipe 2 portions and from an American cook book  Help! My apartment has a kitchen, we   three are all stuffed and happy and we have a portion left for lunch... 

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Turbot Grenobloise

I see the capers and the lemon supremes, but I'm wondering what else you have included in your lovely dish. Is there some dried fruit? Raisins or cranberries? Pine nuts? Citrus leaves? Is the fish sitting on a bed of pasta? And spinach? 

It looks wonderful! 

• Like 1

Basquecook – yes, I would say that you have the steak thing down!  Gorgeous.

Ann – those roast potatoes are lovely.  What method do you use for them?

Kerry – that tomato jam sounds fantastic.  I'm going to try that.  For some reason tomato jam is really hard to find and very expensive in stores.  It is heaven on good toast with some bacon jam.

Mr. Kim’s fantasy football draft was tonight (fondly named ‘The Geekfest’).  He smoked brisket and I was responsible for the rest.  For nibbles, I did Combos (the cheese filled pretzel things), David Lebovitz’s caramelized peanuts and oyster cracker snacks:

med_gallery_3331_189_46983.jpg

These were very good, but didn’t work nearly as well this time.  They took forever – over an hour – and I never got a real glaze, just a glaze-y crumbly coating.

med_gallery_3331_122_2277.jpg

Mr. Kim’s brisket was fabulous:

med_gallery_3331_335_60138.jpg

With this I served his brisket sauce (sweet and tomato-y, but not cloying) and I baked CI American Sandwich Bread:

med_gallery_3331_119_148374.jpg

Also bleu cheese slaw, onion rings and Dana’s Broccoli Gratin:

med_gallery_3331_335_42449.jpg

So good on or beside the BBQ.

med_gallery_3331_335_99861.jpg

These are my favorite onion rings in the world and ridiculously easy.  You just slice and salt them and let them sit until they are wet.  Then you toss them with a combination of flour and cornmeal and fry.  No battering, no frying station set up.

med_gallery_3331_335_134257.jpg

Dana’s recipe calls for cauliflower and broccoli mixed, which I’ve made before.  The mix is my favorite, but this was really good. 

Dessert was World Peace Cookies, Cracker Candy and Morgan Horse Cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_28460.jpg

med_gallery_3331_189_36711.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_143753.jpg

Everything was enjoyed and vacuumed up by a happy crew!

• Like 10

I see the capers and the lemon supremes, but I'm wondering what else you have included in your lovely dish. Is there some dried fruit? Raisins or cranberries? Pine nuts? Citrus leaves? Is the fish sitting on a bed of pasta? And spinach? 

It looks wonderful! 

Thanks! The condiment on the fish are taggiasca olives, pine nuts, capers, lemon segment and julienne of rind, croutons, tomato confit, and basil. The fish is sitting on a bed of swiss chard greens, as well as the ribs, which are cooked and glazed in a light chicken stock. The turbot was cooked on the bone in large steaks. It was a nice turbot. About 5 kilo. My favorite fish. 

Screen_shot_2014_08_29_at_4_33_13_AM.png
  • Like 2

Thanks! The condiment on the fish are taggiasca olives, pine nuts, capers, lemon segment and julienne of rind, croutons, tomato confit, and basil. The fish is sitting on a bed of swiss chard greens, as well as the ribs, which are cooked and glazed in a light chicken stock. The turbot was cooked on the bone in large steaks. It was a nice turbot. About 5 kilo. My favorite fish. 

Screen_shot_2014_08_29_at_4_33_13_AM.png

That fish is Fresh!

dcarch

• Like 1

• Pickled mustard soup. 

Water, large chicken thigh (all fat & skin left on) chopped up, pickled/salted mustard (see here & here for more info), Japanese Trifele tomatoes sliced up, sea salt, thinly sliced ginger, sour plums (with shiso; shisozuke umeboshi) [Daiei]; some "aged gourmet vinegar" [Kong Yen], jozo-mirin [Morita], and rock sugar.  Seasoning corrected and simmered till done, about 1 - 1½ hours.

• Crushed tofu & minced beef in sauce.

Generous julienned ginger & chopped smashed garlic (Siberian Red) sautéed in vegetable oil, ground chuck added & stirred/tossed around, hoisin sauce [LKK] + Bull-Dog sauce (ウスターソース variety; "Worcestershire sauce") + fish sauce [Red Boat] + ground white pepper added and the mixture stirred, a block of soft tofu (rinsed) crumbled by hand into the pan, stirred/tossed, then lots of chopped scallions, final toss.

• White rice.

DSCN2542a_800.jpg

BTW  does your parchment paper ever catch fire ?

something Im curious about at high baking temps.

Chime In All Bakers !

Nope, I've never had it happen.  I set my oven at 525 degrees with my pizza stone inside for at least an hour--it's usually two hours.  Then I slide my pizza in on the parch. paper.  Works like a dream.

These are beef back ribs. Temp never reached 225 or went lower than 185, most of the time  at 220, (about 95% of the time) for 5 hours. It could have used a little more time.  Rub added the night before, smoked for 2 hours with apple wood then, basted with bacon fat, rub and beef broth a couple times after an hour, then an hour later, basted with BBQ sauce, wrapped in foil and continued to cook another three hours.  The smoker is a Horizon which is owned by one of the original brothers who started Oklahoma Joe Smokers. It is made with quarter inch steel. Oklahoma Joe was purchased by Char Broil who then dismantled the company and sold off the assets. The rub I used this time was from www.woodyardbbq.com.  For pork I like to use The Squeal Hog Rub www.cowtownbbq.com. Another good rub is Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub.  I have a recipe from Oklahoma Joe that is really great too but the last time I printed it here, it got deleted. I can send it to you via PM if you would like it.

When I lived in KC, one of the guys on my barbecue team bought one of the original Oklahoma Joe's smokers. It looked exactly like yours except smaller wheels and of course the logo. He took it to the American Royal and gave himself a hernia trying to unload it. And yes, we offered to help but he refused. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I told a friend I was making  creamed corn and pulled pork, she lit up like a Christmas tree on fire and started talking about the good old days.  In her world that is when she run a  restaurant some where in the  deep American south   in 1970: ties.  So I got a list of dishes to have with my pork and creamed corn. It was based on her show stopper, most famous  dish they made, a Southern glory plate,  pulled pork, cream corn, onion rings, mac&cheese  and/or bakes potato, corn biscuits, PawPaws okra stew . deep fried  oyster/ alligator/muddaddies / frog legs depending on season and side dishes where  a choices of jalapeno poppers,  coleslaw, fries and Old one eyed  special hot sauce and home made root beer and for dessert cobbler made with fruit of the season and in autumn  they even had a  caramel cooked apple  served with vanilla ice cream and  hot fudge sauce.  I listen, took notes and ended up with this.

20140829_171201_zpsd03fbb8c.jpg

Still too much food for me, half the potato was left, but it was yummy. Thank you all for helping me find a recipe on creamed corn. It doesnt look creamy but it was, I used lactose free cream and it just coated corn and made it taste creamier .

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

nina that jam looks amazing.

Soba the nectarines in New York have been amazing this year. A sentence I never thought I'd write.

Summer adaptation of Ruth Rogers' spaghetti with dark-simmered Italian sausage and onion. Adam won't eat this for whatever reason, so I have to make it while he's not here:

spaghetti.jpg

Very straightforward, but do leave a lot of time – this is really a 2-hour preparation.

olive oil
3 Italian sweet sausage (get good ones), skins removed, sausage meat crumbled
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves purple garlic, minced
1 dried red chile, crumbled
3 dried Turkish bay leaves
1/3 cup red wine
14-15 oz can good Italian tomatoes, fully drained, tomatoes crushed in your hands
1/4 nutmeg, grated
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup romano pecorino, freshly grated
salt
freshly ground black pepper
fresh sage leaves
1/2 lb dry spaghetti

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the crumbled sausage meat and stir and fry until lightly browned. If it sticks, great. Now add the onion, garlic, chiles and bay leaves and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes until onions are lightly browned, stirring frequently. You will be developing a fond and there will be stickiness – it’s all good.

Pour in the wine and stir, scraping up the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, until the wine has evaporated – about 2 minutes maximum. Add the drained crushed tomatoes, lower the heat, and cook at a steady but low simmer for 45-60 minutes until you have an intense dark red mess. Stir in the nutmeg, milk, and Romano pecorino. Season with salt to taste.

Meanwhile, you have brought an extremely large pot of water to the boil. When you anticipate that you are approximately 10 minutes out on the sauce (the sauce can wait, so that part doesn’t matter), add several massive handfuls of kosher salt to the water, cover, and bring to a rolling boil again. Now add the pasta all at once, stir, cover, and set the timer to a minute or so less than the minimum time specified on the pasta box. Once at a rolling boil again, remove cover, stir the pasta, and keep stirring occasionally until timer goes off. About 1 minute before the timer goes off, add half a large ladle starchy pasta water to the sauce, and stir it in – you want to evaporate it so that the sauce is not watery, but you also want a certain amount of pasta starchiness so that the sauce combines well. You might end up adding a half-ladle full of pasta water a second time, and evaporate that too. Play it by ear.

Taste the pasta – it should be not quite al dente but not quite inedible either. Drain it in a colander and add it to the sauce pan. Toss, drizzling some more olive oil over the mixture, and continue tossing until pasta and sauce are well combined.

Serve into bowls, tear fresh sage leaves over each one. Add a fresh grind of pepper to each bowl and a fresh grating of Romano, and offer your guests the pepper grinder and more cheese to grate at the table.

• Like 4

Cat, you did an amazing job!

Patrick, I'd eat that pasta morning, noon and night.

Smoked turkey (we smoked it) sandwiches and quickles--I made the bread and the 'maters are from the garden

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8

image.jpg

Home made bread spread with a spicy mustard then topped with fried onions and medallions of pork tenderloin.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog