• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

I told a friend I was making  creamed corn and pulled pork, she lit up like a Christmas tree on fire and started talking about the good old days.  In her world that is when she run a  restaurant some where in the  deep American south   in 1970: ties.  So I got a list of dishes to have with my pork and creamed corn. It was based on her show stopper, most famous  dish they made, a Southern glory plate,  pulled pork, cream corn, onion rings, mac&cheese  and/or bakes potato, corn biscuits, PawPaws okra stew . deep fried  oyster/ alligator/muddaddies / frog legs depending on season and side dishes where  a choices of jalapeno poppers,  coleslaw, fries and Old one eyed  special hot sauce and home made root beer and for dessert cobbler made with fruit of the season and in autumn  they even had a  caramel cooked apple  served with vanilla ice cream and  hot fudge sauce.  I listen, took notes and ended up with this.

20140829_171201_zpsd03fbb8c.jpg

Still too much food for me, half the potato was left, but it was yummy. Thank you all for helping me find a recipe on creamed corn. It doesnt look creamy but it was, I used lactose free cream and it just coated corn and made it taste creamier .

I've never understood the concept of corn and potato etc.  What's that all about?

I've never understood the concept of corn and potato etc.  What's that all about?

In our case , we cant afford enough corn to fill our stomachs so we needed something more and well I dont like mac&cheese and nor does my husband. Yes I have tried 52 recipes and it still  no when it comes to  Mac&cheese.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Shelby:  what a delicious looking sandwich

its says to me 1 ) yum  2 ) where's the bacon

and BTW  where did you hide the S.Squash ?

I cant find it ( yet )  sort of like Where's Waldo     a new summer game !

• Like 2

Shelby:  what a delicious looking sandwich

its says to me 1 ) yum  2 ) where's the bacon

and BTW  where did you hide the S.Squash ?

I cant find it ( yet )  sort of like Where's Waldo     a new summer game !

I'd show you a picture, but I'm afraid Huiray will start yelling at me again ;)

I'm missing a few....I suspect my husband snuck some over to the campground again.......

Bacon on the sandwich might have sent me into a state of happiness that I couldn't return from  :raz:

• Like 2

Marinated chicken thighs for a couple hours in chopped onion, garlic, chiles, salt, pepper, sage and hyssop. Scraped off the marinade and sautéed it in ghee for a few minutes, then drained and reserved. Browned the chicken thighs in the same ghee in a heavy pot, then covered and simmered over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Returned the marinade to the pot for the last 5-10 minutes, removed chicken, deglazed pot with a little vermouth and boiled it off, scraping it down and removing the contents for an oniony relish.

Served with Jewish corn rye from Hot Bread Kitchen in Harlem, and goats milk lebneh from Damascus Bakery.

IMG_4082.jpg

• Like 5

20140830_163728_zpsd7fc4080.jpg

My daughter age 2 cooked dinner today. I did all the hard work and she made it pretty. It is a 70.ties style dinner of mushrooms  in the forest.

20140830_163653_zps8deed467.jpg

It is sausages as stick, eggs and tomato as mushroom and peas and potato mash as moss and dirt.

20140830_165455_zps0b2166f5.jpg

Dessert was Fairytale Toad stoles , also from the 70:ties.

20140830_165431_zpsfa684d61.jpg

Peaches,  bananas and sprinkles as mushrooms and chocolate instant pudding and whipped cream as dirt.

• Like 7

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Smoked turkey (we smoked it) sandwiches and quickles--I made the bread and the 'maters are from the garden.

Shelby, I'm looking for the Quickles recipe, did I miss it somewhere?  Thanks!  :smile:

Shelby, I'm looking for the Quickles recipe, did I miss it somewhere?  Thanks!  :smile:

I'm so sorry!  I forgot to post it.

I've put it in the pickling thread here

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/103757-pickles-cook-off-32/?p=1984043

I dont see it a leafy, it is grain, just bigger and yummier and sometimes I will skip  potatoes with it since isnt always needed but well I am not rich and  our tummies need to be filled,

Do you have a recipe for the pizza crust please?  TIA.

It's easy.  I triple it and freeze the rest in portions.  I usually get 4 out of doubling the recipe.  It's not fancy, but it works for me.  I heat my oven to 525 degrees for at least an hour--usually two-- with my pizza stone inside.   Make the dough, take out the portion you want and press it into pizza shape with your hands on a piece of of parchment paper that has been placed on a large pizza "slider inner" (lol that's what I call it)  I don't use a ton of toppings...it's hard, but truly less is more.  

Here is the dough recipe

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pizza-dough-iii/

The picture of the pizza listed is WAY not done yet.  Their oven must not have been hot enough IMO.

Pink cranberry bean soup with Tuscan Pecorino ravioli, pepper and rosemary

Screen_shot_2014_08_31_at_8_51_57_AM.png

mm84321, could you describe this a little more, please?  Also, what sort of beans (or other bean-like concoction) would be usable (other than what you actually used) for this?

Here you go.  Sicilian Tomato Jam from Davina Cucina's blog.  

I'm going to make another batch tomorrow with some slightly larger tomatoes. 

I just finished making a batch with small roma tomatoes.  tastes awesome but very different looking than the pictures on here . It  broke down to a semi-chunky jam  instead of discernible  pieces by the time it got to 222 F . .. I will take a picture later.  

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

mm84321, could you describe this a little more, please?  Also, what sort of beans (or other bean-like concoction) would be usable (other than what you actually used) for this?

Sure. These were cranberry beans (photo below) which were simmered in about half chicken stock/half water, with a small sprig of rosemary, two leaves of sage, and a muslin pouch filled with white peppercorns. Once cooked, it is pureed with a little milk, cream and olive oil, then finished with a touch of sherry vinegar. The ravioli are filled with a mixture of pecorino and mascarpone, poached in salted water, then glazed in chicken stock with butter and olive oil. Plate is garnished with some fresh sheep's curd, a parsley puree, a mince of rosemary and sage, and cracked black pepper.  

Screen_shot_2014_08_31_at_7_44_35_PM.png

Giant green pasta, artichokes, basil and arugula

Screen_shot_2014_08_31_at_7_42_25_PM.png
  • Like 6

14913143500_47f124b2e2_z.jpg

Ratatouille

We also had: broiled porgy, red-skinned potato salad.

I'd never made ratatouille before. Guess I'll have to eventually get Mastering the Art of French Cooking (by Julia), so I can compare notes. The version pictured is made according to the recipe in "The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters.

• Like 5

Soba, do you have Alain Passard's book The Art of Cooking with Vegetables? His ratatouille recipe is the best I have ever tasted. It is cooked in salted butter, and, rather interestingly, finished with a touch of soy sauce.

Nope, but I guess I'll have to get that too.

"Buvette" is high on my list, along with a book on Chinese cooking, Eileen whatshername. I saw the one by Suzanne Goin -- Lucques, was it? Wasn't really impressed by that...