• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

We had chicken wraps for dinner .

20140815_173223_zps77e3ec66.jpg

Me too, my turn, was my daughters  words so we snapped a picture her dinner too.

20140815_173238_zpsb098ae6b.jpg

She wanted pasta and not tortillas so that is what she got and pickles is the new big  thing here at home.

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Easy dinner after an afternoon in the pub

iGvosa5viyKBC.JPG

ibkvWK4EBDHBoP.JPG

Please tell us about the dish that accompanies the duck. Looks most intriguing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20140816_173000_zpsc6cfd99a.jpg

I should really get smaller plates it looks so sad and lonely, I didnt even manage to eat all that was on this plate.  What we had was  Beer stew  with carrots served with kams and dessert  was apple almond crumble or as it was called in the cookbook The perfect crumble and  toffee sauce and whipped cream.   No pictures there because I thought you weren't interested in a  dessert spoon sized portion  and I couldnt make it pretty but it was really yummy.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

^^ That's steamed rice noodles/sheets/rolls. I like it the as part of dimsum, but then stuffed with mince or prawns. Or Vietnamese style: with pork paste sausage and cooked mung bean shoots.

Cheers

Thank you. i take it that you made both these and the duck?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Saw this package at our local market which got me to thinking Indian food for supper. I should have checked the package as it is meant to be kept in the freezer. Having left it in the fridge, it was thawed and the layers were really sticky and hard to peel off the plastic that separates them. However, I persevered and they turned out ok if maybe not as "puffed into layers" as they could have been.

ReducedParathaPkg0009.jpg

ReducedParatha0011.jpg

Made Aloo Gobi but with sugar snap peas. Didn't have any peas-peas in the house. I added a dime-size piece of home-made curry paste from a friend. It packed a wallop but not much flavour or aroma. I added garam masala, cumin, and curry leaves. The butter chicken had both breast and drumsticks. Didn't not make the seasonings from scratch as I have found a bottled sauce concentrate that works so well -  the Nana brand.

ReducedButterChicken0008.jpg

ReducedPlatedIndian0012.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thank you. i take it that you made both these and the duck?

Duck was from a Chinese restaurant. Steamed rice rolls from a Chinese store. I can't make the rolls myself as they need certain equipments to make. The batter is cooked on a flat surface then rolled up using a long pair of chopsticks. That's how I saw it done all over south east Asia.

CP:

looks delicious as usual

but I don't know what 'kams' are

are they the sl browned 'balls' we see ?

Yes the grey  balls are kams, potato and barley dumplings, it is something from my childhood. It is really lovely.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Duck was from a Chinese restaurant. Steamed rice rolls from a Chinese store. I can't make the rolls myself as they need certain equipments to make. The batter is cooked on a flat surface then rolled up using a long pair of chopsticks. That's how I saw it done all over south east Asia.

Thanks. I think I was fooled by the prop (cleaver) in the photo. Wish the takeout around here was as appetizing to look at.

My 2004 eG Blog

Late-night simple dinner.

• Skinny wonton noodles dressed w/ a savory garlic sauce, chopped scallions garnish.

• Baby Shanghai bok choy blanched in oiled boiling water.  (The same pot of water used for the noodles was used, with some oil now added in)

• Chinese roast pork (store-bought); a piece oven-rewarmed then cut up.

• Simple chicken broth garnished w/ scallions & coriander leaves.

Chopped lightly crushed garlic (Music) very lightly browned in vegetable oil and quenched w/ a mixture of soy sauce [Kikkoman], oyster sauce [Lee Kum Kee], some dark soy sauce [Yuet Heung Yuen], generous jozo mirin [Morita], a little fish sauce [Red Boat] and some water.  The mixture was brought back to a simmer for a minute then removed from heat (covered).

DSCN2451b_800.jpg

• Like 8

Mm84321, it is a huge thank you from me, as well as from many others here for continue posting your amazing dishes and meals.

The sophisticated combination of fascinating ingredients, the artistry of sculptural plating, the craftsmanship of details, the drama of ambient setting ----------- all are to be admired.

There is always something new from you to be learned, imitated, may be to be stolen.

When I stuff a fish I have always stuff from the belly, but your red snappers(?) are stuffed from the spine, which makes interesting presentation. For sure I will plagiarize the idea.

dcarch

• Like 2