• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Shelby thanks - that is interesting. Says it is powdered so is it puffing up then? Will have to see what Nina says. Hmmmmm- may have to reconsider the deep frying ban.....  Sauce sounds like a multi-layered winner too. 

• Like 1

I looked at several videos on the product and am still not clear. Nina - is it a damp product or dry? Do you think it is dehydrated pork skin in tiny bits? I ask because I don't think one could use a pork rind product like this they have already popped so trying to see how a home cook would do it without the purchased product. 

Pork rind product http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind

Edited by heidih (log)

I bought the book from chef Glynn Purnell and this recipe jumped at me

Its a great book!

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

14891081063_02773ee435_z.jpg

14870874882_5d792f8c72_z.jpg

14684686647_4cd229e7ae_z.jpg

Ricotta gnocchi with corn, chanterelle mushrooms and Sungold cherry tomatoes

14868540751_80a06664ba_z.jpg

Tomatoes, butter, oregano, sea salt

Melt butter until brown, add sliced tomatoes. Fry for 1 minute per side. Plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and chopped oregano. Serve.

14872332682_15522a5d95_z.jpg

Poached Copper River salmon (poached in water, white wine, thyme sprigs, parsley sprigs), served with a butter sauce

Green beans with anchovy and lemon

• Like 7

A vegetable lasagna modified from one in Chelsea Market cookbook.

Fresh pasta sheets, pesto oil ...dome mixed with some ricotta, oven roasted yellow and green squash and onion, red peppers and garlic.  All layered with Parmesan and Asiago cheeses and topped with some homemade marinara.  Baked and eaten with some ciabatta

Good but there was sooo much.  Would make it again using strained lactaid cottage cheese so the husband could eat it as well.  A great way to use up the squash.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

20140810_182933_zpsc2e24dcb.jpg

Austrian Goulash with semmelknödel.

20140810_190900_zps1e259147.jpg

False curd cake  for dessert, this is how it looked when the oven door didnt open up and  got baked to perfection.

20140810_191025_zps455c0d90.jpg

Raspberry jam , whipped cream and false curdcake. YUM.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Spicy, honey-glazed chicken thighs with a side of tomato and cucumber raita.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14882007012_b8d64176b4_z.jpg

14879892744_e8593cc4a2_z.jpg

Green beans with herb-almond pesto and preserved lime

Tasty, even without the pesto and the lime.

It's a technique from one of Lynne Rossetto Kasper's books; salt the water, simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender, then drain and immediately season with salt, pepper and extra-virgin olive oil.

14902222233_8597702d7e_z.jpg

14879303391_2c06d7b192_z.jpg

Orecchiette with uncooked tomato sauce

The sauce base consists of a soffritto of onion, garlic and basil, to which were added plum tomatoes and Sungold cherry tomatoes.

• Like 4

• Thai eggplants w/ shallots, Thai basil, chicken thigh meat, generous garlic (Music) and hot vegetable oil; and a sauce derived from a mixture of chili garlic sauce [LKK], chili paste with holy basil leaves [JHC], sambal terasi [Cap Ibu], palm sugar, fish sauce [Red Boat], light soy sauce (sang chau) [Kimlan] and sesame oil [Kimlan]. 

The sauce mixture was added to the chicken while it was frying w/ the garlic in oil at the beginning.

• White rice.

DSCN2395a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, sometimes ya gotta mix it up a bit  :laugh:

They are Kroeger brand.

Tater Tot-ettes? :smile:  :laugh:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

20140811_173027_zpsf3f2ed56.jpg

Gardner's Stew,  the school version, in many schools this was made with soy grits  but not in mine, we had mince.  The proper  Gardner´s stew is made with big chunks of beef and vegetables  but the school version uses finely chopped vegetables and it is actually more  veg then meat, it is easier to get my husband to eat it when  he cant see the string beans, bell peppers,  parsnip, carrots, onion,  and celeriac .

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

After a couple of weeks on the road, there is nothing more satisfying than getting back into the kitchen, cleaning out the fridge, and starting afresh with a clean fridge and lots of grocery shopping!

Clean&FullFridge4872.jpg

Craved liver and onions, but none to be had where we were, so the first supper at home:

2014AugustAppetiteLiver3719.jpg

This was followed by ho fun, beef and bitter melon

Bittermelon&HoFun4844.jpg

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com