• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Wow

that M. looks so delicous

For Me eggplant adds nothing

bad texture  no flavor etc

just me

Im looking at what I think are the EG layersL

thin Potato ?  thin sweet potato ?

I have to say  for me and only a few

if one might sub. a more tasty item for the EB

well .........

there would be a Nobel Prize in the Making !

I am with rotuts on the eggplant!

Having been away for five weeks there is not very much fresh food in my house. So today I headed out the door with my shopping list. But after five weeks apparently food is not the only thing I'm missing. Car battery is dead dead dead. So dinner tonight came from the pantry:

image.jpg

Patties made from canned salmon,Thai chili peppers, a shallot, an egg (brought back lots of eggs) salt and pepper and canned artichoke hearts sautéed in garlic olive oil (brought home lots of garlic too). The garlic reached that perfect state where I added it to my plate as garlic chips (far right). A shower of Parmesan cheese on the artichokes and dinner was ready.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Chicken Chettinad from the current issue of Saveur. So I have to tell you that this is inedible if you follow the recipe as I did. I don't know with whom I am most angry - Saveur or myself. I have done enough Indian cooking that I should have paid attention to my gut feeling that this recipe was not right. Sure enough Saveur missed out a critical step -- grinding the spice paste! If you fail to do this you end up with a sludge of cellulose instead of a sauce.

In order not to waste everything I ended up rinsing off the cooked chicken under the hot tap and pushing the sludge through a fine mesh seive. Gross.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann_T -  Thanks, from what I've been able to figure out there is no real difference between grits, polenta, porridge, etc.  I think I lucked out and bought a fresh, coarse ground meal that is superior to local offerings.    I've got to try your moussaka  variation with potatoes.   It looks like a great way to give the dish a little more structure and lightness.  Beautiful plating as usual with a nice twist in the background.     

Tonight's supper was a very loose interpretation of a seafood paella.  

P1020978r.jpg

• Like 9

My daughter is moving to Portland tomorrow to attend Grad School.  She requested one her favorites that I make:  Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao).  How could I refuse?  I usually will serve that with an Asian vegetable, but I totally forgot to pick up something.  All I had fresh were Brussels Sprouts, so I free-lanced a sauce from sesame oil, soy sauce and hoisin sauce and dusted them with toasted sesame seeds.  They both came out good!

drunken-noodles.jpg

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Was in vegas for the last week.. got home today on a redeye around 545 am..  Got home and hit the beach in Rockaway.  

Came back tonight to very little in the house..  With one tomato, I made a pasta alla trapanese-esque dish.  In a mortar, added a tomato, basil, salt, sugar, chile flakes,  pistachios.  Then added some olive oil..  Cooked the pasta and added some shave ricotta salata.  Then mixed in the room temp sauce and topped with toasted almonds and torn basil. 

14856546592_804dd0e2a9_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

a simple steak with pineapple salad. perfect for hot weather

An interesting concept. Can you tell us more about the pineapple salad, please?

My 2004 eG Blog

So I was quite determined that something good would come from my disastrous dinner yesterday. The failed chicken Chettinad needed a sauce. As I was going through my freezer today I found the Muslim Curry sauce from Modernist Cuisine that I had made some time ago. That should work I thought. Then Kerry Beal showed up at my house with this:

image.jpg

It's a flatbread from the Middle Eastern store in Hamilton. The lemon is just there for scale. So with this, the Muslim sauce, a few peas for colour and the failed chicken, dinner turned out to be a bit of all right.

image.jpg

Doesn't hurt that I always thought I should have been born into a culture that shuns utensils in favour of fingers.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

A leisurely dinner.

Earlier on:

• Pumpkin blossom/squash blossom soup; w/ sautéed garlic (Music), sliced dark meat chicken, chicken stock, dash of fish sauce [Red Boat], green zucchini batons.  Simmered till done.  (blossoms went in last)

DSCN2378a_800.jpg

• Interlude – Parmigiano Reggiano (top), Old Kentucky Tomme (left) and “Farms for City Kids” (Spring Brook Farm) Tarentaise cheeses.  Pic of remaining blocks after I had sequentially chopped off pieces and chomped them down.  :-)

DSCN2386a_800.jpg

Later on:

• Top sirloin cap, seasoned simply w/ salt & pepper.  Oven – pan seared (vegetable oil) – oven.  Rested about 20 min.

• Chanterelles tossed in the pan fond/residues/drippings from the searing of the beef, with additional EV olive oil plus Redmond salt + sea salt.  Parsley.  Just-cooked linguine added, tossed/stirred around in the pan, plus some of the pasta water.

DSCN2379a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

Pineapple salad: parsley, chopped, pineapple slices grilled and then cut up, some red onions sliced, blue cheese, crumbled. balsamic vinegar, good olive oil, salt, on 

goes very well with beef, but can be served on its own. a little chili might be added for some extra spice ;-)

• Like 2

Good save Anna. Looks tasty. Can't even think of eating that with a fork. Fingers rule

Thanks. Got back to the grocery store and bought more ingredients to retry the recipe. This time I will follow a better version. Not sure I will ever again trust Saveur!

My 2004 eG Blog

Pineapple salad: parsley, chopped, pineapple slices grilled and then cut up, some red onions sliced, blue cheese, crumbled. balsamic vinegar, good olive oil, salt, on 

goes very well with beef, but can be served on its own. a little chili might be added for some extra spice ;-)

Thank you for sharing. I am not sure I can quite get my head around that combination of ingredients. But obviously it works fine for you. I don't do well with fruit and beef.

My 2004 eG Blog

I always try to find something new ( at least to me).  tonight, calamari rings, coated in airbag and deep fried. served with a sauce of sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon grass, ginger, garlic and chili. airbag is my new friend!

Foto (51).JPG

• Like 2