• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

20140729_171556_zps8426ca23.jpg

Dinner, pulled pork , sauce and veggies and then my husband remember the garlic bread I had made , so we got that too.  It was so yummy.

20140729_180417_zps9bef6433.jpg

False curd cake for dessert with whipped cream and  gooseberry  goo.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A recent dinner:

• Chicken fat, rendered in the pot. Pork & chicken stock.  Tuscan kale (de-ribbed) cut into ribbons.  Fistfuls of trimmed/washed (Western/Italian) basil.

• Beef stir-fried w/ garlic (Siberian Red; lots of it) & bittergourd.

• White rice.

DSCN2264a_500.jpgDSCN2267a_500.jpg

• Like 3

Two-stage dinner:

• Garlic & oil, dried shrimp, fuzzy melon, salt, cellophane noodles.  (“Tai Yee Ma Kar Lui” (大姨媽嫁女))

DSCN2271a_800.jpg

• Bone-in beef short ribs (browned), yamabuki miso, garlic (Music, entire head; plus more loose garlic, cloves smashed + de-skinned), water, bay leaves; then baby Yukon Gold potatoes.  Braised about 2 hours.  Eaten w/ white rice + chopped scallions.

DSCN2274b_800.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely stuff, huiray, and thank you for the links.

Catpoet, I wouldn't have thought something called 'gooseberry goo' would be so pretty, but I'd have been wrong! :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smithy: I dont know what to call it since it isnt pie filling nor jam nor soup..

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Shelby, that is a beautiful dressing.  The whole dinner looks delicious.

Basquecook, that tart is a work of art.

CatPoet,  I don't know what a False curd cake is, but I know that I want some.

A few of our recent dinners.

Filet%20Mignon%20in%20a%20Green%20Pepper

Filet Mignon

Filet%20Mignon%20in%20a%20Green%20Pepper

in a Green Peppercorn Sauce.

Veal%20Piccata%20July%2025th%2C%202014-L

Veal PIccata

Margherita%20Pizza%20July%2026th%2C%2020

Another Pizza.

• Like 7

Thanks, Ann.. Your plates look wonderful as always.  Your baking is just something i look at with awe.    

last night home for awhile.. had to get some home cooking and try to get rid of the csa.  Family is in town so, there is plenty left to be had.  

Squash cooked with sweet onion and  thai basil.  Cooked the squash in the pan with basil and onion, add cooked pasta and killed the heat.  Added goat cheese and some salted water.  Plated with thai basil.

Really lovely.

14781389965_e4c06f8269_z.jpg

• Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Thanks, Smithy; and you're welcome.

------------------------------

The characteristics of the remainder of the short ribs prep from here were altered to unambiguously E Asian in nature by fishing out the potatoes, adding mutenka shiro miso [Miyasaka Jozo], halved bamboo shoots [Dragonfly] (simmered in water for a while & rinsing before adding to the rest), dried thick-cap Chinese/shiitake-type mushrooms (de-stemmed but not pre-soaked; the full flavor of the mushrooms was desired), and dried oiled beancurd sheets (腐竹/腐皮幹; these were pre-soaked) closer to the end of the re-cooking.  Seasoning was adjusted.  Eaten with soba-yam noodles.

The "Western aspect" of the previous dish was removed to an accompanying salad of romaine & red-leaf lettuces plus parsley leaflets, dressed w/ EV olive oil [Alziari], balsamic vinegar (10-year Modena), Redmond salt & ground black pepper.

The above gave both lunch and dinner.  :-)  The dinner salad also had the cooked baby Yukon Gold potatoes (fished out from the 1st iteration of the short-ribs dish). ;-)

Lunch:

DSCN2279a_1-6.jpgDSCN2287a_1-6.jpg

Dinner:

DSCN2290a_1-6.jpgDSCN2294a_1-6.jpg

• Like 3

Another two-stage dinner.

• Soup.  Pacific White shrimp, shelled & deveined; chopped garlic in medium-hot oil, chicken broth, sliced Napa cabbage, chopped scallions.  Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN2298a_800.jpg

• Radiatore w/ zucchini-tomato-bean sauce.

The sauce: Very generous chopped garlic (Music) in medium-hot EV olive oil, just barely lightly browned.  Halved Juliet Roma tomatoes & chopped Cherokee Purple tomatoes added, heat turned up, stirred around; the chopped tomatoes allowed to break down (the Juliet tomato halves retain a lot of their shape).  Salted.  Green zucchini cut into stubby sticks & Dragon Tongue beans sliced diagonally were sautéed w/ garlic & EV olive oil separately (salted) then added in to the tomato mixture.  Trimmed basil & parsley leaflets were added and stirred in at the end, truffle oil drizzled in and the heat shut off.

DSCN2299a_800.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Shelby.

Roasted%20Quail%20with%20Pasta%20July%20

Roasted Quail with spaghetti Aglio E Olio.

Quail! Oh, it's been years since I had quail! Are you able to buy or raise them, or are there obliging hunters in or near your family?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Decent cooking temperatures for the last few days:

ham, broccoli and appenzeller quiche. steamed a broccoli crown then chopped the heck out of it.

sweet and sour meatballs with jasmine rice and sautéed green beans.

also made the usual sautéed shrimp, Asian noodles, peppers and onions with a hoisin sauce for John.            

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So my buddy from high school, came over with his wife last night. I always try to step up the game a little when he comes over. . We were lucky enough to get another friend's CSA box who was out of town.. Leaving in a couple of days, gotta move some vegetables..  

It was a successful dinner in more ways than one.. The last time we had dinner, we split a bottle of whiskey and his wife kind of got pissed.. This time, we kept it to a two bottle of wine minimum and everyone left before 10:30.. there may have been one shot of mezcal in there. 

Bought this big lobster in Chinatown.. It was close to 3.5 lbs.  

Here is the photo next to a wine glass and spoon for perspective.  Cheap prices, I think it was like 38 dollars for the thing.  

14584377200_2ce8748c52_z.jpg

Peaches soaked in a simple syrup as they were kind of not the best.  The perked up after that treatment..Though, just coming from Georgia,  maybe that is why they needed some help.  Really nice tomatoes, buratta cheese, really sweet corn my mother gave me, balsamic oil, some basil mortared up with olive oil, some thai basil flowers.  We make this dish quiet a bit at www.biteclub.com and it is always a winner. 

its summer on a plate. 

14792093973_71fe9108b9_z.jpg

With the large body, instead of making like a stock and seeing it was a female with lots of roe, i took the inside liquid mixed it with room temp butter and a bunch of saltines.. Added it to the cavity and broiled then baked.    

Made that fennel pasta from Friday.. It had the other half a can of sardines, the other fennel head I bought, currants, Pastis and the rest of the pistachios..  

Then Miss A made a fig tart with mascarpone bottom

14773111182_92be9c4775_z.jpg

Definitely feeling the love from that dinner.  Summer on a plate photo is great.  Is your friend Welsh?  He's my go to guy (to blame) when things get out of control.  

• Like 1

I had some leftover steak and a potato that was about to sprout so decided to make a variation on Salade Parisienne. 

DSCN1589_zps1b793294.jpg

Made with pan fried potato slices, (one potato slice got a little too brown) garden tomato, hard cooked egg, left over steak, swiss cheese from Ireland of all things, and mixed greens.

Dressing was

1/2 T. dijon mustard
1 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
6 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

• Like 7

• Cantonese-style steamed garoupa ("sek pan"; 石斑; Yale Cantonese sek6 baan1).

• Oiled-water blanched romaine, dressed w/ oyster sauce & black pepper.

• White rice.

DSCN2321a_800.jpg

DSCN2325a_800.jpg

• Like 5