• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

dcarch – love your happy squash!

Norm – thanks for posting the recipe for the fried chicken.  The crust looks wonderful.

Soba – gorgeous fattoush.  One of my favorites.

Blether – lovely quiche.  I have been getting eggs from one of Mr. Kim’s co-workers lately and you’ve reminded me of the perfect way to use them.

CatPoet – that steak looks delicious, but the best thing on the plate is that gorgeous charred onion!

A couple of nights ago we had my mother, sister and a niece over for dinner.  We had Pecan Chicken casserole, salad, broccoli and marinated cucumbers:

med_gallery_3331_114_102928.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_135664.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_118725.jpg

Casserole serving:

med_gallery_3331_114_147746.jpg

Creamy and comforting.  This casserole is really easy – just a pecan crust with a custard based chicken filling.  But you can put it mostly together early in the day and bake it last minute.  For dessert we demolished an entire box of Pepperidge Farm assorted cookies, 2 nectarines, a plum and an apricot!  I will be so sad when the stone fruit is gone.

Night before last I did French dip-type sandwiches, chips and crudités:

med_gallery_3331_114_17441.jpg

For the sandwiches I made a caramelized onion and fig jam ‘confit’.  The last time that I made this beef (the recipe is named ‘Drip Beef’- dreadful name) I had a jarred confit with the same ingredients from Stonewall Kitchen and thought I’d make my own.  It was incredibly good:

med_gallery_3331_114_101763.jpg

• Like 10

KS:

"""  a pecan crust with a custard based chicken filling """

Id like to hear a bit more about this.  sounds like something right up my alley !

what are the 'bts' on the top

Ive got plenty of cooked Ck. bagged up in the freezer looking for an interesting home on my plate.

Pulled a package out of the upstairs freezer and found...beef for soup of stew.  Made a stew with carrots, celery, garlic, sweet and white potatoes and peas.

Served with some crusty bread for the husband.

Watermelon rinds in fridge in a light brine for pickles.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

20140720_175213_zpsf61cd1b7.jpg

This  was supposed to be a Rogan josh  well  the cook book flipped pages and I didnt notice  until the end.... But it was yummy.

• Like 7

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• Cucumber soup.

Short-cut pork spare ribs (parboiled first), water, dried cuttlefish, Chinese jujubes (variety from Shandong), honey jujubes, dried Solomon’s Seal rhizome slices (玉竹), sea salt, sliced Russian yellow (Brown Russian) cucumber (deseeded), carrot (quartered).  Slow simmer for about 1½ -2 hours.

DSCN2192a_800.jpg

• Salt and Pepper shrimp.

Pacific White Shrimp, seasoned batter; deep-fried.  Hot oil, chopped scallions, sliced long hot green chillies, fried shrimp, salt & white pepper.

• White rice.

• Pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers.

DSCN2196a_800.jpg

DSCN2200a_800.jpg

• Like 8

We drove back from Tybee Island yesterday afternoon.. We left at 2:18 pm and were in our house by 2:34 am.  With 4 stops amounting to 45 minutes, our true speed averaged 70 miles per hour.  

We brought the fish back with us.. We had our neighbors over for dinner to share in Miss k's bounty.  She remains to be super proud of bringing home the bacon.  

Whiting Po boys.  

whiting was fried perfectly with a corn meal double crust, old bay, celery salt and what nots..  It was moments from the deep fryer.

this was an upside down sangwich 

14724056903_9dda158ac5_z.jpg\

Georgia tomatoes as well. These were from two different sandwiches.  With a remoulade. pickled peppers

14724063813_1c6de4e878_z.jpg

14704197395_d2afcefe18.jpg

I had soaked a shark steak in milk and old bay.. covered with spices, cooked in butter and served over this curry lemon rice.. Shark steak was devoured.. 

Watermelon popsicles for dessert.

dinner in the backyard

• Like 10

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Sadly no pictures of dinner today,  I made these really easy and yummy cream baked potatoes with dill  and served with smoked beef sausages and cooked peas.. It was a simple but lovely meal.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

From yesterday - Since we're in the deep south my wife had dinner at noon, supper at 8:00 pm and I had dinner at 8:00 pm with lunch at noon.  It's kind of what was your main meal type of thing.  So for her dinner:

Citterio Mortadella with feta, tomatoes, herbs, lemon zest, etc., on sprouted wheat bread

P1020947rs.jpg

And my dinner:

Homemade saffron papperdelle  pasta with shrimp, scallops, salmon and roasted aspargus in a light lemon cream sauce

P1020958r.jpg

I also made a nice tuna carpaccio (not shown) and an off-cut of pork that I prepared porchetta style that became my lunch today.

P1020956rs.jpg

• Like 9

Home for a day and we have friends staying with us for most of the week.. I am then off to Vegas for like 10 days.. The traveling continues.  

Miss A,my wife made dinner while i was working. 

Made a shrimp boil with some of the last of the Georgia Shrimp we brought home.. In addition we also made a couple of flounder while, i deboned the rest, prepared for stuffing and vacuum sealed the rest.  

Here is the flounder.. Also made rice and baked little red potatoes with dill.  

There was vodka involved, a lot of vodka..  

14716646012_cd08e9568b_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

My husband cold smoked some trout yesterday.  The trout was caught in Colorado by my step dad.  They turned out really good.  I am picking at one for breakfast as I type.

Along with the trout we had a "quiche"--more zukes and mushrooms than eggs lol and some fried taters.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 8

basquecook, how did you do that flounder? It looks nicely browned, and the sauce would look great even if I didn't know it included vodka. My attempts at flounder to date have been very unsatisfactory; it may be relevant that they've been the flash-frozen packaged flounder out of grocery stores. I'd like to try your method before I resign myself to ignoring it in the freezer section.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20140722_170528_zpsc79fcfec.jpg

Vi are trying to find another keema curry that we can love. So far  no success.  This one was too fragrant for all of us.

basquecook, how did you do that flounder? It looks nicely browned, and the sauce would look great even if I didn't know it included vodka. My attempts at flounder to date have been very unsatisfactory; it may be relevant that they've been the flash-frozen packaged flounder out of grocery stores. I'd like to try your method before I resign myself to ignoring it in the freezer section.

I have to say, it was just dipped in flour and salt and then fried in butter in a non stick pan.. Not deboned or anything.   The sauce was butter and lemon.. .The vodka was just for the me and my friends.. No vodka in the sauce though, it wouldnt have made a difference,. I think the three of us either finished or seriously maimed a handle of vodka.. 

What i like to do is, put a slit in the front and then debone the think so it opens like a book but, i didn't do that last night.. There are countless youtube videos showing you how to debone a flounder 

They all got up at noon today, while I was driving through Canal Street this morning at 730 picking up a Bahn Mi before work.   

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1