• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Thanks, Smithy!

I baked them in the oven using the help of these suckers.  http://www.amazon.com/Non-Stick-Tortilla-Shell-Makers-Set/dp/B001RDN2EA

375 degree oven for 15 minutes and you get the perfect bowl.  Yes, just standard flour tortillas with nothing on them.  I don't even grease the little pans.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

20140716_172617_zps95313b9f.jpg

Dinner was  Sausagestroganoff with rice  and this was our dessert.  I got raspberries and  really good   lactose free dairy custard  on offer , this custard is as close as you can get to home made, with real vanilla and today it was less then the normal price for lactose free cream, so we had dessert today instead of Sunday.  

The  bowl is home made,  isnt perfect but I havent made these for around 15 years.  It my grandmother's recipe on  Wafer cups or  tissue wafers or as they called here in the south, Northern waffle cups and when she died I just stopped making them.   I have never made them for any one I been in a relationship with  so my husband is special.... yes he is my second husband. The first never got them.

• Like 7

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Blether,

I have had quiche on my mind for months. Yours is only encouraging me to have a go. It looks the way I think quiche should look - all gooey and cheesy.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna - I'm pleased with the way it turned out.  4 eggs & 375ml milk, so it's a light quiche, no cream.  The good-quality smoked ham really makes it - one of the best uses for the ham, I'm guessing.  It makes putting it in a sandwich seem like a waste.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Simple comfort food.  An old stand-by - Pickled mustard soup, w/ chicken leg quarters, Campari tomatoes, sliced ginger, aged rice vinegar, rock sugar then mirin-fuu, sea salt.  Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type wheat noodles.

DSCN2154a_800.jpg

• Like 3

20140717_181920_zpsf65c80af.jpg

Took out  the wrong meat from the freezer so today it became  Texas steak with  crispy potatoes,  baked onion and breaded carrots, lovely pan gravy and  a few tomatoes.

20140717_183531_zpsfc0b78fb.jpg

My dear daughter   wanted bread so she could mop up all the sauce from daddy's plate.   I see this the highest compliment.

• Like 6

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

This is the source for the recipe. I used a whole chicken except the back and wing tips. Marinate the chicken in all ingredient except the lemon wedges, potato starch and oil for a few hours.  Toss the chicken in the potato starch and fry in oil either in a skillet or in a deep fryer. Garnish with lemon wedges. 

Tori no Kara-age  Japanese fried Chicken

From The Japanese Kitchen by Hiroko Shimbo

1 1/4 lbs. Chicken thighs, bones and skin attached

1/4 C, shoyu

1/4 C. mirin

2 Tbsp. sake

1 Tbsp peeled, finely grated ginger

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1/4 tsp ground chile pepper (cayenne)

1/8 tsp ground allspice

10 coriander seeds, toasted and crushed

1 C. potato starch or cornstarch

Vegetable oil for deep frying

lemon wedges

With a cleaver,hack the chicken on the bone into 2-inch pieces

• Like 3

I sometimes think I should dress our food up a bit more, but every day now we can get fresh pink shrimp straight off the boat and we live just above the marina and there's a very reliable shrimp boat that comes in every day at 6 pm. 

Back in June, we had Spot Prawns - big and amazing, but fussy to cook right and they have to be fresh. But they are so amazing when all goes well. The price is going crazy on them though, 

The pink shrimp we are getting now are more forgiving but we still like to buy them fresh off the boat and cook them immediately. 

Either sautéed or boiled, I adore them. I don't eat the heads though, and people give me grief over that. Do you eat the heads? What am I missing? I just don't like the look of them and we are very spoiled here - I can buy lots from the dock for a reasonable price. 

IMGP2752.JPG

IMGP2754.JPG

• Like 6

14701539633_0dc05c4142_z.jpg

14681343462_8e590664c6_z.jpg

Fava beans with foie gras and black truffles

14494994159_a271c5e92f_z.jpg

14494980200_fea45bd517_z.jpg

14495183447_0a9242030c_z.jpg

14495006058_ac40ed1cba_z.jpg

Recipe for the pasta courtesy of JAZ: http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/ingredient1/r/Recipe-Fresh-Pasta-For-Two.htm

14495185017_af6667c503_z.jpg

1 cup red wine; crushed garlic cloves; 1/2 lb. squid, sliced; thyme; chopped Jersey tomatoes.

14495184267_9c9f922332_z.jpg

14701540773_1dcea67db3_z.jpg

Hand-cut fresh pasta, squid braised in red wine

Recipe: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/recipe-of-the-day-squid-in-red-wine-sauce/

2009 Espirit de Gigognan, Côtes-du-Rhône, Château Gigognan, Sorgues, France

• Like 5

I sometimes think I should dress our food up a bit more, but every day now we can get fresh pink shrimp straight off the boat and we live just above the marina and there's a very reliable shrimp boat that comes in every day at 6 pm. 

Back in June, we had Spot Prawns - big and amazing, but fussy to cook right and they have to be fresh. But they are so amazing when all goes well. The price is going crazy on them though, 

The pink shrimp we are getting now are more forgiving but we still like to buy them fresh off the boat and cook them immediately. 

Either sautéed or boiled, I adore them. I don't eat the heads though, and people give me grief over that. Do you eat the heads? What am I missing? I just don't like the look of them and we are very spoiled here - I can buy lots from the dock for a reasonable price. 

attachicon.gifIMGP2752.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP2754.JPG

I love the heads.

I usually suck out the juices, and sometimes the brains.

They're awesome deep fried.

• Like 3

I dont eat the heads either.   In 14 days I be off to a town and friend said if there  weather  is fine, we be going to the shrimp smoker place.  I am drooling at just the  thought of fresh smoked shrimps and  chipolte mayo

• Like 1

FauxPas, why not try this?  As soon as you get the prawns home, rinse one, pull off he head, put the open end to your mouth, gently squeeze the sides of the head together.and suck in.  That's a great way to enjoy such fresh, whole saltwater prawns - the flavour's similar to the brown parts of crab.  No need to cook.

Marcella Hazan's Pink Shrimp Sauce with Cream (Google) is another.

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 3

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I love the heads.

I usually suck out the juices, and sometimes the brains.

They're awesome deep fried.

So maybe I just need to suck it up and try it!  

I don't have an easy way to do deep fried, but maybe that would make me braver about trying the heads.  :smile:

• Like 1

I dont eat the heads either.   In 14 days I be off to a town and friend said if there  weather  is fine, we be going to the shrimp smoker place.  I am drooling at just the  thought of fresh smoked shrimps and  chipolte mayo

Some of the best shrimp I ever had was in Oslo - small shrimp but so tasty - we had buckets of fresh shrimp steamed and we peeled it and ate it with fabulous bread, mayo and beer/wine. You know, Smørrebrød type stuff.