• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)

mm84321

Fried rice. 

Sliced garlic, chopped Chinese long beans, sea salt, farm eggs scrambled in situ, 3-day-old rice, short-cut scallions, ground white pepper.  Eaten w/ Lingham's Hot Sauce.

DSCN2092b_800.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a box of  tomatoes this morning at the farmers market at $8.00 for 20 lbs. that were sold as canning tomatoes.  They did have  a few soft spots but will become tomato sauce tomorrow.  They made a great salad for lunch with burrata and avocado.  Tonight I made four separate tomato tarte tatin's for dinner for us and to share with our neighbors.  The crust was a half lard and half butter and would be hard to improve upon.  

P1020938r.jpg

P1020943r.jpg

• Like 7

still have to figure out the camera I bought 5 years ago after the husband dropped mine.

shrimp fried rice with a sauce from Yan Can Cook book, 2 day leftover brown rice, Vidalia onion, celery, Didn't get the peppers or carrots into the mix.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

20140712_172708_zpse810fd05.jpg

This my daughters pirozhok  from yesterday, it if filled with meat and  root vegetables , this was the only one that became a big fluffy bread, the rest had thin crust and bread.  It made with a low yest cold risen dough and my neighbor told me I did them right and it tasted like his  grand mas  but thought they were to dry and dull. So he got the rest.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I am going to look for those squash in our farmers' markets. The yellow/green color change gives those squash a lovely geometry. Do they have a distinctive flavor?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Crappy picture/good dinner.  GOOD tomato from the garden on this BLT.  Yes, that is squishy white bread from the store.  I like that kind with this sandwich.  Along side zucchini fritters and a zucchini roll up.  The fritters weren't that dark looking in real life.

photo.JPG

• Like 4

20140713_164531_zpsf0dc19f9.jpg

Crusty potatoes,  Tjälknöl,  fresh garlic yogurt sauce ( that thicken while standing) and  honey roasted roots.  

Tjälknöl ( permafrost lump) is one of my favorite dinners to do for large crowds, easy and so lovely, how ever this the recipe most none Swede has the hardest time to understand and  I always have to write the meat is served cold  5 times and people might not still get it. I dont understand why the method of cooking and marinating the meat it a hard thing to grasp or I just been with  cooking challenged foodies.  The meat is   cooked from a frozen state, the night before the party  you take a frozen lump ( hence the name) of meat and plonk it into a oven proof dish and then turn the oven on to 75C and go to bed an sleep  8 hours.  In the morning check for temperature and cook it as long as it needs to be safe.  And then after the meat is cooked, you leave it in a flavored brine for   4-5 hours, not longer it become very salty if you do.   Remove form the liquid , slice and serve with something hot as a side dish or potato salad.

The honey roasted roots , today I used turnip, swede, parsnip, beetroot  and onion, slowly fried them in butter and then added a little honey and salt and let it cook a little more., This dish is old it just to be larger chunks roasted  but as time when by people started chopping and  dicing the vegs smaller. It is one of the dishes we can date back as far as viking age.

20140713_170817_zps70ce312c.jpg

Cherry clafouti,  ugly  but yummy,  I should have tried to get hold of red cherries but I only got hold of  deep purple/ black ones , which meant they dyed the dish a lovely  paper mulch greyish blue. 

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 7

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Beautiful meals everyone.

Roasted pepper salad again (orange pepper this time - the different colored peppers do taste different when roasted), no anchovies. And roast chicken.

attachicon.gifroasted_pepper_salad.jpg

attachicon.gifroast_chicken_whole.jpg

attachicon.gifroast_chicken_carving.jpg

attachicon.gifroast_chicken_carved.jpg

I cant se really but have you cut a cross at the top of the lemon before putting in the butt of the chicken?  If not, next time try this, it gives  much more lemon flavour.

rotuts Thank you, for the kind comment. I might not make my food  photogenic, I cant afford  to waste food and I  have a 2 year old but trust me, it  is most often really yummy. 

Do you want the recipe for tjälknöl?  I will post if it a popular demand.

I bought a box of  tomatoes this morning at the farmers market at $8.00 for 20 lbs. that were sold as canning tomatoes.  They did have  a few soft spots but will become tomato sauce tomorrow.  They made a great salad for lunch with burrata and avocado.  Tonight I made four separate tomato tarte tatin's for dinner for us and to share with our neighbors.  The crust was a half lard and half butter and would be hard to improve upon.  

attachicon.gifP1020938r.jpg

attachicon.gifP1020943r.jpg

Steve-  that tart Tatin  looks awesome..  Could you please share the recipe?? 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

patruckamory,  When I could eat lemons, I used to dip them into boiling water for 5 min,  rolls them hard and then cut a cross in the top.  I never got a good taste when stabbing like Psycho with a needle.

At the risk of repeating myself too often, made tri-tip on the smoker again.  

Here's the meat just after reverse searing:

tri-tip-rt2.jpg

And after slicing (only a small portion of the meat shown):

tri-tip-rt2-sliced.jpg

Served with salad and steamed Brussels Sprouts (not pictured).

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Steve-  that tart Tatin  looks awesome..  Could you please share the recipe?? 

Thanks, it's really simple.  Caramelize five large vidalia onions in 2 T of butter, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 t thyme and S&P to taste. The crust is a pate brisee  using 2 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup lard, 1/4 - 1/2 cup ice water and maybe  1 t of salt.  The crust was enough for an 8" tart, two 4" tarts and a 4" x 12" tart.  I had a pretty good size piece of Piave cheese that I substituted for parmesan, maybe 1 cup.  I think I used about 4-5 tomatoes of varying sizes.   To assemble put a layer of grated cheese in each crust, followed by onions, tomatoes, a little more of the onions, oil cured olives and more cheese.  Bake at 425 till the the cheese is browned and the filling bubbling.  Hope you enjoy.