• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Have only a few hours each, 2 nights and one morning in L.A., what not to miss?

JayP

need suggestions for two do not miss dinners and a breakfast, and I'm not so much interested in local variant of the French Laundry as I am something distinctive and special that really is unique to the city.

Extra points for anything in the central part of the city even vaguely close to USC. But I will get in a cab and go anywhere for the right idea....

Though I live in the Los Angeles area I don't generally dine out so am of no use! However, for the current vibe of the city take a look at the LA Weekly restaurant section. Jonathon Gold (Pulitzer prize winner re food writing) reviews there. http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/

Also if you see a taco or mariscos truck with a good group waiting - don't hesitate to risk minimal dollars for a possibly excellent experience.

USC is adjacent to downtown which has had a huge upsurge in new restaurants lately that, per the reviews, are worth taking a look at. Also downtown I would check out the newly revamped Grand Central Market for a food explore. http://www.grandcentralmarket.com/

Report back after your adventure :)

Both solid replies.... that's what I love about the forum, people seem to get the spirit of a question.

I live in Chapel Hill NC now, and we have some truly nifty nouvelle Southern places that give a sense of place in the food, and aren't in most cases particularly expensive, and then we also have inventive and wonderful high-end stuff that is well worth eating if you live here and need variation, but frankly can be equalled in five or six places around the country...

the quirky local stuff, market food, food trucks, or something that specializes in lifting local traditional food are the sweet spots I think for a quick visit. Unless you're going somewhere that there is one special restaurant that should be on most bucket lists.

JayP - I didn't mention Korean because I find that generally to be served in a way that needs to be shared in order to experience enough of the dishes. Los Angeles has fantastic Korean (and Chinese) options so if you can get a group together..... 

You are hampered by being without a vehicle since that limits your ability to slam on the brakes when you see an interesting cart or truck. However, as in many big cities the cabdrivers tend to be from another country and can often point you to their local favorites.