• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

José Cuervo Help

Shel_B

I know next to nothing about Tequila, and I want to get the maintenance man at my apartment complex a gift.  It came up in conversation that he's a Cuervo drinker.  What are the differences between the various styles and which might be considered the best.  Thanks!

... Shel

its a Gift. the guy is a Cuervo Guy.

next figure out which Cuervo the Guy likes and at least get that one.

I also know nothing about Tequila.  on a PBS cooking show Im beginning to enjoy, Patti drinks Tequila.

She's a bit nuts, but its starting to grow on me ...

Not sure how much you want to spend but he'd be over the luna with a bottle of Cuervo Anejo Reserva de la Familia.  Most people consider it to be one of the best in the world, but it's pricy, when, and if, you can find it.

Barring that, get Cuervo Anejo, or Extra Anejo.

I'm with others that say to get him what you know he likes.  It's a present.  Maybe it would be fun to "introduce" him to another brand, but buying him something you know he likes shows that you've taken the time to find that out.

And it's a safe bet. 

If you buy something else, you are running the risk that he knows all about it, but chooses to drink Cuervo for a reason.

The most obvious of which is that he likes it better.

:smile:

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Echoing FP and Adam, Cuervo Tradicional is 100% Agave and goes for around $20. It's not offensive at all. Avoid the regular Cuervo at all costs!!

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I read Cuervo Drinker two ways.

This man knows his stuff and Cuervo is his house of choice: In which case I'm sure you can research other labels they make. Gran Centenario is one.

This man has done shots of Especial before because all his local has. In which case Tradicional will really be an eye opener - in a good way.

That's about all we get in this country, except Platino and Reserva de la Familia. The latter is wonderful, but doesn't taste much like tequila. It's more like a bourbon.

Edited by Adam George (log)

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I agree with the others who suggested the Tradicional.  It is a decent product, and if he doesn't have a lot of money to spend, he'll be getting something that's not only the brand he likes, but might be a bottle he often eyes on the shelf, but in the end reaches for the less expensive item.  If he just drinks the stuff straight, then a reposado or anejo might be a real treat.

Then there are people like my friend's father who loved tawny port.  Any cheap stuff would do.  One Christmas my friend bought his father a rather expensive bottle of vintage port.  When he caught him pouring it into his iced tea, that ended that.

• Like 2

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I agree with the others who suggested the Tradicional.  It is a decent product, and if he doesn't have a lot of money to spend, he'll be getting something that's not only the brand he likes, but might be a bottle he often eyes on the shelf, but in the end reaches for the less expensive item.  If he just drinks the stuff straight, then a reposado or anejo might be a real treat.

Then there are people like my friend's father who loved tawny port.  Any cheap stuff would do.  One Christmas my friend bought his father a rather expensive bottle of vintage port.  When he caught him pouring it into his iced tea, that ended that.

Yes, he's a Cuervo guy, for whatever reasons, and that's why I'm looking for something that I know will satisfy him.  I see that there are a couple of choices that will be satisfactory in the Tradicional line, although that Cuervo Anejo Reserva de la Familia seems like it would be a real treat for him, so that's what I'll look for and get if it's affordable to me.  Otherwise some of the aged Tradicionales will work, and are probably easier to find.

... Shel

Not sure how much you want to spend but he'd be over the luna with a bottle of Cuervo Anejo Reserva de la Familia.  Most people consider it to be one of the best in the world, but it's pricy, when, and if, you can find it.

Barring that, get Cuervo Anejo, or Extra Anejo.

I'm with others that say to get him what you know he likes.  It's a present.  Maybe it would be fun to "introduce" him to another brand, but buying him something you know he likes shows that you've taken the time to find that out.

And it's a safe bet. 

If you buy something else, you are running the risk that he knows all about it, but chooses to drink Cuervo for a reason.

The most obvious of which is that he likes it better.

:smile:

Yes, it's a gift, and I want to get him something I know he'll like.  I don't know enough about tequila to try some other brand, especially based on a recommendation from someone I don't know and whose taste may not reflect that of the recipient's.  Thank you for your response.

... Shel

Soooooooooooo

What you gettin' ?

I found a place in a nearby town that carries the Cuervo Anejo Reserva de la Familia at what seems to be a very good price.  I'll call them tomorrow and, if they have it, that's what I'll get him.  Otherwise, one of the Tradicionales, probably the silver.  He'll be happy in either case, I'm sure ....

... Shel

A bit out of the box but Maestro Dobel is a filtered joven that is a blend of reposado, anejo and extra anejo. I was a bit surprised that I liked it but I did. And it is essentially a Cuervo product. Same NOM.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2