• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: Budei Taiwanese Menu

Click here the terms under which this event is listed in eG Forums.

I'm gathering a large table of foodies, chefs, food writers, and plain old hungry folks for a unique dinner at Budei Gourmet in ABQ next Sunday (7/13) at 7:30. Truly, all are welcome! We are going to be off-menu requesting everything be served from their authentic Taiwanese menu family style. I've been told that they have some serious eats that you won't even know about unless you ask, so I'm working with the chef directly to prepare a kick ass meal. RSVP here before Thursday so I can get everything finalized.  Right now we have a James Beard nominated chef, a chef from Restaurants Impossible, one of Slate's primary food writers among others.  Join us!

• Like 2

I can't make it, but I love the idea!  I hope there's a great turnout!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's the guest list:

Rob & Tyler Connoley (Curious Kumquat Chef/owner)

Ari Levaux (Writer for Alibi, Slate and Outside magazine)

Christophe Descarpenteres (Café Petit Louis Chef/Owner)

Gwen & Scott Clapp & guest (Culinary instructor at CNMCC)

Munaf Aamir & wife 

Marissa Michelle & David Garcia (Farm & Table Restaurant)

Anthony Salvagno (3 guests) (S'wich Food Truck Chef)

Sharon Neiderman (Cookbook author)

King Crowder & wife (Tre Rosat Chef/Owner)

I've been working with the owner to prepare a feast worthy of this group and can't wait to see what they come up with.

Wow, impressive on every level.  Impressive that you thought of this.  Impressive that you're following through.  Impressive guest list. Huge kudos to you.

Wish I could make it.  Was just through Albuquerque a few weeks ago.  Rotten timing on my part.

I'll be eagerly following this thread and, should it be successful enough that you plan another one, will do my very best to make it!

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

From the kitchen: Here is the special menu. Most of the items require many days of preparation. For example, the sea cucumber takes 3-4 days to get boiled enough to become soft enough to eat. All the dishes are truly authentic. Chef Hsia has served in the Taiwan military's top officials' kitchen and in a highly ranked Shanghai cuisine restaurant in Taipei. These kitchens require great talent. You and your guests will greatly enjoy this unique experience.

Jelly Fish Appetizer
Shanghai Dumplings Soup
Crispy Flounder in Black Vinegar 
(this dish will show the real Chinese "sweet and sour")
Eight-Treasure Duck
Ginger Basil Sea Cucumber 
Scallion Chicken
Snow Vegetable and Baked Tofu
Sweet Lotus Seed and Longin Soup

• Like 1