• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickled eggs

Nick

infuse your vinegar with all forms of pepper, pickled habeneros work great...

you can also pickle some smoked sausage links with your eggs........

eggs and pickles are a staple in eastern NC, find em in most any country store....

require beer to wash egg down........

For easy peeling, put the newly boiled eggs in cold water for 10 minutes or so. The easiest way is to discard as much of the hot water as you can and then put the pot under the tap and let the water run until it stays cold.

• 2 years later...

Do not pierce the eggs. There have been cases of botulism from doing that. It was a mystery as to how pickled eggs could get botulism, but when questioned the patient explained the recipe in detail. He pierced the eggs and then poured over the brine. He did keep them un-refrigerated too. So double whammy as botulism can't grow in cold (though not all forms are as sensitive to cold) or acid environments. So let the brine find it's way in naturally.

The piercing infected the eggs, and the botulinum bacteria grew and formed toxins before the brine could stop it. A whole cooked egg is safe, but when you stick things into them....?

• 1 year later...

I found that adding some baking soda to the water can help with peeling.

We can our garden beets, and they are wonderful to use in making pickled eggs.

I drain the beet juice to a pan, add some water, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, garlic, shallots and a bit of pickling spice. Bring just to a boil.

I like to use 1/2 gallon mason jars to store. Fill with the eggs and beets then add the juice. Into the frig for a week.

I sometimes take the pickled eggs and make pickled/deviled eggs. Yum!

:smile:

• 1 month later...

I've just made two batches -- one without shells and one with shells a la Harold McGee. I've noticed that the version with shells has a film that's come off of the shells. Anyone know if this is normal?

Edited by 12BottleBar (log)

• 11 years later...

There's a nice variation in the NY Times (paywall) where they pickled the peeled boiled eggs in a rice vinegar brine with shreds of red onion, so the eggs get dyed pink and then you can use the pickled onions as a garnish.  Like that idea.  Yolk mixture ingredients were pretty standard:  dijon, mayo, s/p, etc.

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

There's a nice variation in the NY Times (paywall) where they pickled the peeled boiled eggs in a rice vinegar brine with shreds of red onion, so the eggs get dyed pink and then you can use the pickled onions as a garnish.  Like that idea.  Yolk mixture ingredients were pretty standard:  dijon, mayo, s/p, etc.

per NYT "The pickling brine dyes the egg whites deep pink"

but not in their photo that i can see...

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have done the light pickling for color to make both pink and yellow deviled eggs

I have often pickled beets and eggs together and used the pickled eggs to make deviled eggs. The red eggs are pretty and it gives them a definite pop of flavor. I was thinking of making some this week and if I do I'll post a picture.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have done the light pickling for color to make both pink and yellow deviled eggs.  The yellow (with turmeric) is a bit less alarming to me

Excellent idea!  I normally don't like the color that turmeric turns things, but it looks fabulous on your eggs.  I'm trying that trick for sure.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

per NYT "The pickling brine dyes the egg whites deep pink"

but not in their photo that i can see...

Yeah, they looked pretty pallid, didn't they?  Maybe put a couple of beets in there.

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have often pickled beets and eggs together and used the pickled eggs to make deviled eggs. The red eggs are pretty and it gives them a definite pop of flavor. I was thinking of making some this week and if I do I'll post a picture.

Excellent.  Eager to see them!

Edited by CookBot (log)

5 hours ago, CookBot said:

Pickled eggs in beet juice are always stunning with their red rims, but I've never had one that wasn't rubbery. Is there a way to avoid that? I feel the same about pickled shrimp. Pickled shrimp is always tempting for a party because they look great and can be made the day ahead. But can they be pickled and still be tender?

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Ohhhh.  And what's in your liquid?

It is a pretty standard pickling brine.

1/2 cup white vinegar

3/4 cup beet juice

1/4 cup sugar

8 whole cloves  

8 whole allspice berries

1 teaspoon whole peppercorns  

1 large bay leaf

1/2 teaspoon salt