• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet sorbet

Lia Tumkus

Hi everybody!

Usually my ice-creams turn out pretty good in the pacojet, but sorbets always have a harder consistency to quenelle (due to the amount of water in the recipe), can someone share any secrets to make a more "pliable" sorbet, just something that I can quenelle perfectly?

The basic recipe I follow is:

350g fruit puree

550g water

80g sugar

80g liquid glucose

60g trimoline

10g stabiliser

Other pacojet recipes are more than welcome! I know pacojet have recipes in their website, but the sorbet recipes turnout pretty similar to what I got.

Thanks for any inputs :)

Love,

Lia 

I recommend getting a refractometer. (I got one on eBay cheaply, look for one that reads from about 15-45, at least) Different fruit purees have differing brix levels, you may need to adjust your level of sweeteners. For the finished, unfrozen product: 27 is the ideal number, 30 and over will initially have a nice texture, but you'll get pools of syrupy stuff within a few hours. Under 26 and you get grainier texture and larger crystals.

I think you'll be happy with this:

110 g Powdered Glucose

240 g Sugar

18 g Stabilizer

455 g Water

1000 g Puree

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the water and boil. Remove from heat & add puree with buerre mixer. Works for regular ice cream machine as well.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Thanks for the refractometer idea Lisa Shock and minas6907, I'll look into that, I never actually use one, but I guess is time for me to do it :) thanks for the ideal numbers Lisa, I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for your recipe pjm333! So simple, so easy!

Thanks Drewman, I'll definitely order some powdered glucose ASAP and I'll give your recipe a go as well :)

The other difference is that a lot of ice cream blends contain emulsifiers ... sometimes lots of mono- and di-glycerides, especially if they're intended for egg-free ice creams. These won't hurt anything, but sorbets don't need emulsifying.

Notes from the underbelly