• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Air waffles. The lightest & crunchiest waffles ever.

dr_justice

I am really enjoying watching the evolution of the Air Waffle.  I need to see if I can find the waffle maker I know I have up north with me here and start playing too.  Bet you are wishing you'd patented it!

Ok - found the waffle maker.  Thinking that tempering some chocolate and making some thin sheets of it that could be dropped between layers would be the best way to introduce it as a filling.

Waffle maker found.  Now I think I'll temper up some chocolate and form into thin sheets that I can cut into squares that will fit inside the waffle.

Experiments later today if time permits.

Reading through - I gather that recipe the should be adapted to include 500 ml of water and 250 ml of whipping cream?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

You don't have to. Chris' waffles and mine were done with the originally posted recipe.  The grilled cheese one too, using leftover batter.  Maybe make another batch later with updated ingredients and let us know the difference?

Btw, I'd suggest playing with making non-filled waffles first to get the hang of it before straight off experimenting... It'll give you an appreciation starting point.

I'm thinking that filling the waffle with liquidy/melty/fatty/oily stuff removes some of the airiness and crispiness to the waffle, which is one of its primary qualities.  It happened with the cheese and I would think it will also happen with chocolate.

Post pics!

Edited by dr_justice (log)

• 2 weeks later...

After some experimentation, I can confirm that I can achieve much better texture and aftertaste using these proportions instead

250 ml milk

500 ml cups water

250 ml whipped cream

80ml butter, this helps with the crunchiness a bit and helps by making the waffle stick less to the nonstick surface.

As I suspected, more water tends to evaporates leaving a lighter and crispier texture, as opposed to more cream in the original post that left the waffle with a heavier/silkier/creamier taste.

Oh, I also tried adding a few mini marshmallows dropped in between bottom/top layers of batter, and that was extremely playful in the mouth, highly recommended (thank you CatPoet!).

@Chris Hennes, you seemed to enjoy the original recipe, let me know if you can tell the difference with these proportions.

(I wish I could edit my original post to edit proportions...)

Edited by dr_justice (log)

(I wish I could edit my original post to edit proportions...)

Don't worry about that. Watching ideas evolve and being able to go back and look at where they started vs. where they went is a large part of the fun.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 year later...

Bump ! 

It's been almost 2 years since the last update.

This is the recipe I've been making pretty much since I posted it and it's a family favorite.  It's exactly zero hassle, usable almost immediately (I like to give it a good 10 minutes rest at least), and I get a surprised look from almost everyone who tastes it for the first time.  And with some cheese in the middle (parmesan, or a cheddar blend), this thing is now a staple that I make almost every weekend.

Since my last post, I've adjusted the recipe somewhat but it has largely stayed the same: I've added a bit more flour to thicken the batter and give it a slightly more dense inside, otherwise it took a minimum of 4 waffles to satisfy a normal person's hunger (and even then!), and a bit more butter in the batter to ease the removal of the waffle from the iron.

Anyway, I wonder who else has tried and liked this recipe? 

• 9 months later...

I did my own experiment, without having tried the original recipe. This is just an adaptation of a standard buttermilk pancake / waffle recipe for the siphon. It's probably not as light as the OP's recipe, but I believe that this approach could be tweaked to be at least as light, and without any cream (or with whatever amount of cream you want to use for flavor/texture; you won't need it as a structural ingredient).

I've eliminated the leavening, since the siphon already fills the batter with bubbles, and added methylcellulose at 0.2% the weight of the liquid. This gels at high temperature, preserving the structure while the waffle cooks, but then un-gels after cooking, when the temperature drops (by the time you eat the waffles, there should be no textural effect from the m.c..  I used Ticacell HV. 

135 g all purpose flour

30g spray-dried buttermilk*

12–24g sugar 

3g salt

0.6g methylcellulose

300g water* 

2 eggs

35g butter 

seasoning (spices, vanilla extract. etc)

*or use 1-1/4 cup fresh buttermilk

-melt butter on stove or in microwave

-stir together dry ingredients

-whisk together wet ingredients

-very thoroughly whisk the wet into the dry (alternatively use a stick blender or countertop blender)

-strain into 0.5L siphon

-charge with one N2O charger, shake vigorously, and hold for a minute.

-dispense directly onto waffle maker

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 years later...

Just logged back in cause I wanted to check something in my original recipe, then saw this reply from, oh my, 2 years ago.

I'd like to see pics from your updated recipe with, uh, "chemicals".

How differently did it turn out, why did you make those changes?

2 hours ago, dr_justice said:

Just logged back in cause I wanted to check something in my original recipe, then saw this reply from, oh my, 2 years ago.

I'd like to see pics from your updated recipe with, uh, "chemicals".

How differently did it turn out, why did you make those changes?

@paulraphael

@dr_justice I've had good results with N2O waffles as reported in the Waffles! thread...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/24075-waffles/?do=findComment&comment=2129095

Not to slight my world renowned iSi blueberry pancakes:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/133897-blueberry-pancakes/?do=findComment&comment=2154700

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 year later...

Not a waffle guy but surfing the internet I discovered this post and got me intrigued. Today I've made them finally. For people like me in search for crunchy, buttery and airy, this is a total game changer to waffles, simply incredible. It's been almost 7 years since the original post but I hope this will still get to Dr Justice, a huge THANK YOU for sharing your recipe, really amazing.  

• Like 3