• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

I did my own experiment, without having tried the original recipe. This is just an adaptation of a standard buttermilk pancake / waffle recipe for the siphon. It's probably not as light as the OP's recipe, but I believe that this approach could be tweaked to be at least as light, and without any cream (or with whatever amount of cream you want to use for flavor/texture; you won't need it as a structural ingredient).

I've eliminated the leavening, since the siphon already fills the batter with bubbles, and added methylcellulose at 0.2% the weight of the liquid. This gels at high temperature, preserving the structure while the waffle cooks, but then un-gels after cooking, when the temperature drops (by the time you eat the waffles, there should be no textural effect from the m.c..  I used Ticacell HV. 

135 g all purpose flour

30g spray-dried buttermilk*

12–24g sugar 

3g salt

0.6g methylcellulose

300g water* 

2 eggs

35g butter 

seasoning (spices, vanilla extract. etc)

*or use 1-1/4 cup fresh buttermilk

-melt butter on stove or in microwave

-stir together dry ingredients

-whisk together wet ingredients

-very thoroughly whisk the wet into the dry (alternatively use a stick blender or countertop blender)

-strain into 0.5L siphon

-charge with one N2O charger, shake vigorously, and hold for a minute.

-dispense directly onto waffle maker

paulraphael

paulraphael

I did my own experiment, without having tried the original recipe. This is just an adaptation of a standard buttermilk pancake / waffle recipe for the siphon. It's probably not as light as the OP's recipe, but I believe that this approach could be tweaked to be at least as light, and without any cream (or with whatever amount of cream you want to use for flavor/texture; you won't need it as a structural ingredient).

I've eliminated the leavening, since the siphon already fills the batter with bubbles, and added methylcellulose at 0.2% the weight of the liquid. This gels at high temperature, preserving the structure while the waffle cooks, but then un-gels after cooking, when the temperature drops (by the time you eat the waffles, there should be no textural effect from the m.c..  I used Ticacell HV. 

165 g all purpose flour

12–24g sugar 

3g salt

0.6g methylcellulose 

270g water* 

2 eggs

30–45g / 2–3 TB butter 

*or use 1-1/4 cup fresh buttermilk

-very thoroughly whisk the wet into the dry (alternatively use a stick blender or countertop blender)

-strain into 0.5L siphon

paulraphael

paulraphael

165 g all purpose flour

12–24g sugar 

3g salt

0.6g methylcellulose 

270g water* 

2 eggs

30–45g / 2–3 TB butter 

*or use 1-1/3 cup fresh buttermilk

-strain into 0.5L siphon