• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creamed Corn and Other Corn Dishes

Steve Irby

A friend brought me a really nice bushel of Silver King that had just been picked.  I left work a little early so I could put it up southern style.  The way my mom cut corn was to cut off just the tip of the kernels then use the back of the knife to extract the milk.  I'm a little less patient and I also enjoy a little more texture so I'm kind of a middle of the row cutter. The key is to have fresh corn that is still starchy.   Field corn is really nice but harder to find.   

Getting started

IMG_20140702_182124802.jpg

Cutting and extracting the milk

IMG_20140702_182135963_HDR.jpg

Insert Emeril or Fieri cliche.  Look at that milky goodness.

IMG_20140702_192331914.jpg

Blanched and ready for the freezer

IMG_20140702_201606979_HDR.jpg 

• Like 2

Since buying the corn cutter featured in this recipe, I've been making my corn this way:http://ruhlman.com/2010/09/baked-buttered-corn-2/

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Field corn?  That's cattle feed and extremely tough, in my experience.

Field corn is great IF your goods friends with the farmer that harvest it at the right time and you can devote the day to putting it up.   When I was a kid all corn was field corn and when it was deemed perfect for canning you would spend the whole day in the backyard shucking and cutting.  Your right though if it's not at it's prime it can be pretty lousy.  

• Like 1

Field corn is great IF your goods friends with the farmer that harvest it at the right time and you can devote the day to putting it up. When I was a kid all corn was field corn and when it was deemed perfect for canning you would spend the whole day in the backyard shucking and cutting. Your right though if it's not at it's prime it can be pretty lousy.

A great many corn aficionados very much prefer fresh field corn to most of the varieties grown for human consumer sales today, and that definitely includes my family, who consider these sweet varieties to be far too sweet, with very little old-fashioned "corny" flavor. I remember that when I was a kid we lived for a time in rural Nebraska while my father was stationed at SAC Headquarters at Omaha. The farmer right next to us grew field corn and said we could have as much as we wanted. Mom made us wait until she had the big pot boiling on the stove to send us kids running to the back fence to pick the corn for that night's dinner. I never had corn that good again. Today's super-sweet varieties don't even come close. Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...

How do you make creamed corn?

Is there other yummy dishes with fresh corn?  ,Now when they are in season I want to  eat as much as I can.

Please help.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

We had the most delicious creamed corn, quite unlike the canned stuff, while at Rudy's BBQ in Laredo, TX. I looked it up later, and most of the "copy-cat" recipes used frozen kernel corn, cream and cream cheese, cooked in a slow cooker.

I looked up the Rudy's BBQ site, and it says "Fresh, whole-kernel corn with heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, sugar, and other special seasonings-made in-house from scratch."

I hope to make this at home sometime.

Edited by Panosmex (log)
Buen provecho, Panosmex

I like this kind of simple corn salad. You can add additional ingredients or maybe make Succotash.  Or corn salsa with things like peppers, onions, black beans, tomatoes (lots of recipes for that on Web). I made a Velvet Corn Soup that was quite tasty. Corn on the cob is good with chili powder and lime juice. Make corn bread with some fresh corn in it. 

Here's a basic creamed corn recipe. I like the emphasis on getting the pulp off the cobs after you cut off the kernels. You can add parmesan, as Panosmex mentions. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Had a corn salad yesterday with grilled corn shaved off the cob, red onion and basil, with a vinaigrette.  Quite delicious.

The best fresh corn dish I ever ate, though, was a corn pudding, without eggs to muddy the fresh corn taste.  You need really good corn for this. 

2 cups fresh corn scraped not cut off the cob (to get more corn juices flowing)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup cream

bit of salt

Preheat oven to 325.  Heavily butter a medium baking dish (I use a 9" x 9").  Spread the corn in the pan, dot the top with butter.  Bake about an hour. 

Thank you all!

My idea was  pulled pork , creamed corn  and something more.

I am going to make corn chowder  later on  in September.  The corn season will be short this year so I  hope I get to do all I want with the corn. Saturday lunch will be corn on the cob.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cute trick for cutting corn kernels off the cob. I bet some of the folks here have already discovered this or have a similar trick, but this was new to me - using a bundt pan to hold the corn in place (pointy end of corn into centre of pan) and then when you cut the kernels off, they fall into the pan, ready to be poured into a pot or whatever. Good way to approach it if you are cutting multiple cobs for freezing, etc. 

• Like 2

Very cool.  Now I can stop feeling guilty about keeping a Bundt pan when I rarely bake cakes.  :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thomas Keller's Summer Cream Corn is a family and friend favorite I do a few times over the summer. It's in the Ad Hoc cookbook. The recipe is everywhere online. It unbelievable. I actually made it along with his Buttermilk Fried chicken this past labor day weekend. Phenomenal. I can't praise it enough.

• Like 1

Here's a cute trick for cutting corn kernels off the cob. I bet some of the folks here have already discovered this or have a similar trick, but this was new to me - using a bundt pan to hold the corn in place (pointy end of corn into centre of pan) and then when you cut the kernels off, they fall into the pan, ready to be poured into a pot or whatever. Good way to approach it if you are cutting multiple cobs for freezing, etc. 

The corn season is now over, if I want the good stuff..

I bought 2 dozen ears of corn this weekend, because our corn season is also nearing its end, and tried the Bundt pan approach.  The pan did make a nice catch basin for *most* of the corn kernels, with a few popping off too far for the pan to catch.  The corn was so juicy that I still ended up having to wash the kitchen island and mop the floors all the way around when I was done.  This job is best done outside on a fine day.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I bought 2 dozen ears of corn this weekend, because our corn season is also nearing its end, and tried the Bundt pan approach.  The pan did make a nice catch basin for *most* of the corn kernels, with a few popping off too far for the pan to catch.  The corn was so juicy that I still ended up having to wash the kitchen island and mop the floors all the way around when I was done.  This job is best done outside on a fine day.  :laugh:

Thanks for the warning!  :smile:

• Like 1

I made some creamed corn and later got comments from people about how good it was. One even asked for it again on his next visit.  The first thing I do is put ears of corn on the grill for a few minutes so it turns a darker yellow and even chars in a few places, then I cut it off the cob and scrape the cob with the back of my knife to get all the corn 'milk' out of the cob.  My recipe does not thicken very much. After that the amounts are due to taste and the amount of corn I am making but the approximate amounts are

For 5 ear of corn, I used approximately 

2T. honey

1/4 C. cream

4 pads of butter 

Salt and Pepper to taste.

I heat all the ingredients in a saucepan until the liquids boil down a little.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1