• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adam Richman Loses It

Shelby

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/adam-richman-food-show-pushed-back-instagram-rant-viral-article-1.1851536

-----------

Wow.  Maybe he was drinking?  When one loses weight, that alcohol goes to your head much quicker lol.

My husband and I both commented a while ago on how great he looks and how much weight he's lost.  

I had to look up Nick Searcy and then the twitter rant. My goodness, what a lot of noise from a group of nobodies!

But back to Adam Richman. Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.

Unless one is molesting Airedales.

There has to be something a little off if you think that telling someone to "draw a bath and get a razor" is going to fly.  

I watched most episodes of Man Vs. Food (simply out of tv boredom).  I would guess he had to stop doing that show due to health reasons.

I get that publicity is good....but this made the network postpone or maybe cancel his new show....so maybe not so good this time.

Without reading his twitter account to see all the details and just relying on the article I can fully understand Adam Richman. He posts a picture and then includes a hashtag which is not politically correct enough for some idiots. I think the PC movement in this country is going way too far and he is just doing the right thing and DGAS

Edited by Honkman (log)
  • Like 1

He tried to win the internet and failed. I also noticed that the article doesn't mention any twits that he was responding to. I'm guessing they weren't very civil either. 

I just can't get worked up over this one. Plenty more out there to be outraged over.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I'm sick of everyone being "outraged."  Look what just happened to Gary Oldman and that was in an article in Playboy (known for its investigative journalism or so my brothers told me when they were "reading it for the articles"). 

I thought adults got over getting their knickers in a twist around the time they graduated from high school.  Park the drama over there.

Richman looks great and he isn't the first celeb to lose a person's worth of weight.  We have Graham Elliot, Al Smith, Joe Bastianich and others.  The folks who want to pack around what amounts to double their normal weight, can't expect the rest of us to cheer for them and their poor lifestyle choice.

• Like 1

Based on a quick perusal of the news stories, the igniting spark was the use of the word "thinspiration".  I took it on its face as something that would inspire a person to slim down. Apparently it is a well established term in the anorexic (ana) community and is heavily loaded in a seriously unhealthy way. Based on the times I have seen him, it sounds like a term he may have thought he coined. This has nothing to do with food just like anorexia at its core does not.  As others have noted, the instant ability to vent feeling publicly to a vast audience  often leads to "oops" - just like hitting send on the email...  As to the right or wrong of postponing or cancelling the new show -  again - nothing to do with food.

Edited by heidih (log)

I read this and couldn't help but think that it sounded like a pretty basic, over the top argument...I have had a few thousand of those in my life...the need for everything to be so civil and proper flies in the face of the entire system that exist in here in the US...plus everyone is way too thinskinned...(heh...see how I did that...).  Poor choice to actually post the stuff though...but oh well..

• Like 1

Without seeing the actual comments made to him, it does sound like his response was quite out of proportion and inappropriate, at least to start with. I don't even think it's a case of people being too PC - his hashtag "thinspiration" is quite well established in a community of people that I think everyone would agree is actively harmful (eating disorders) not just someone being offended. Even well known fitness folks (who don't buy into health at every size or fat acceptance movements) have spoken out fairly strongly about eating disorders and the kind of support for eating disorders that the pro-Ana community provides. It is reasonable for someone to not know about that connection, but upon someone explaining it the sensible thing would be to go "oh, I didn't know that was how the word is used" not curses and encouraging suicide and whatever else. I mean, it doesn't sound like anyone was giving him a hard time for having lost the weight or being proud of his accomplishment, at least initially. (I imagine all sorts of things were said once things got going. It is the internet.)

At any rate, his supposed apology is pretty unimpressive. I hate it when pr apologies sound like they were written by a very very new pr intern. Do better, pr people.

So, she gets all bent out of shape over a tweet that was intended to be positive (thinspiration doesn't mean the same thing to everyone,) he responds, she doesn't like the response so she summons friends to gang up on him...and then they wonder why he spouts mean comments in a fit of rage!?

What is this, Kindergarten???

Anyway, he did apologize!

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Maybe he and Paula Deen can hook up and create a new cooking series.  Might call it Insult Kitchen or Out of the Frying Pan, into the Fire,

or Rude Dude and Southern Shill, or Eat My Words.  

• Like 1

I suppose they'll be attacking the Christie brand next for having the nerve to call their snacks "Thinsations".

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Gilbert gottfreid has an excellent piece on the outrage epidemic in a recent playboy magazine. I'd link to it but the PC nazis at GoGo inflight internet keep blocking the link as inappropriate. The irony. I'm outraged! You can google it anyway. The F word will turn up in it so don't be outraged.

• Like 2

What I don't understand about all the people who are "outraged" is their justification of calling the person or persons who have upset them all sorts of despicable things that are career damaging without suffering any such damage themselves for doing the exact same thing! For Justice™.

I want some protected class privilege armor that I can don whenever someone pisses me off and a crowd of mindless minions ready to break out the torches and pitchforks at the drop of a hat.

For the fairness.

• Like 3

I'd say the outrage comes from a combination of people who've had some experience of eating disorders and their consequences, and, yeh, also the usual crowd that loves feelng self-righteous and taking up arms on someone else's behalf. If you belong to the former category, however, anything that's closely connected to eating disorders is an intense trigger, and whether you've been someone who spent a good long time eating disorders, or watched helplessly as someone you cared about starved her- or himself ever closer to a very possible death, it's more or less inpossible to see 'thinspiration' or 'thinspo' without feeling waves of despair and rage.

The tweet was thoughtless and stupid, but the smartest move would have been to issue a sincere 'That was an idiotic thing I said, I'm extremely sorry, won't happen again', and just shut up about it.

Eating disroders tend to be competitive things, believe it or not, and going on and on about this incident is actually constantly flashing a thinspo reminder at people who are 100% dedicated to being the 'best' at being the thinnest. Those who are expressing the most vocal and persistent outrage are, ironically, reminding thousands of girls that 'Oh, right, better go barf up that raisin I ate in five bites'. Seriously, everybody just needs to shut up about this, if they are sincerely committed to damage control. If they want to show how sensitive and PC/'real' and anti-PC they are, well, carry on: you're doing great.

• Like 3

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

It's amazing how something such as this can get so amazingly blown out of proportion!!!!!

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'm extremely anti-PC in it's current form. I'm a fan of the concept but it went completely wrong somewhere along the way and has become much more divisive than anything it was meant to repair. When you can't even say something because it may remind someone of something else and offend or upset them, it's gone off the rails. It has to be brought into check at some point. The way it's going, someone will post on twitter about the awesome waffles they made this morning and have a crowd of people blow up at them because they all have loved ones who choked to death on waffles. How dare he say they were wafflicious, that sounds almost like wafflvicious and upsets us! I agree that Adam didn't handle it particularly well... but only as a career move. From a human response angle, he handled it pretty close to the way I would have.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.