• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for really good upscale restaurant in central Toronto

SylviaLovegren

A friend is coming to town and is taking a small group of us out to an expense account dinner in Toronto.  Preferably somewhere fairly central, if not downtown then close.  The group ranges from very sophisticated to a bit conservative (i.e., Black Hoof probably wouldn't go over big with their bone marrow and sweetbread selections).

Anyone have any suggestions?  Two I've heard are good and might fit the bill are Richmond Station and The Chase.

Thanks for ideas!

Take a look at Adega ... we enjoyed it quite a bit several months ago on a short trip to the area.  An old friend from Nova Scotia recommended it.  If you go, let me know how you liked it.

• Like 1

... Shel

I've heard good things about Richmond Station, and mediocre things about The Chase. In both cases, the comments were from people who work in the industry, but I haven't personally been to either. How would Momofuku Daisho (or, better, Momofuku Shoto) go over? Of course, there are the standard (read: safe) upscale options like Canoe or Splendido. If you're willing to travel to Leslieville, I strongly recommend Bero (where I have both eaten and staged in the kitchen, so I may not be objective about it). Edulis still seems to be one of the most talked-about kitchens in the city, which would make it a good option except for the difficulty in securing reservations.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Interesting you say that.  I was worried that it might be too old-fashioned, with some things good and some things very much "flamed hearts of palm" style.  But I keep hearing from friends that it is really good.  Since someone else is paying, maybe that's the ticket! 

Thanks!

Take a look at Adega ... we enjoyed it quite a bit several months ago on a short trip to the area.  An old friend from Nova Scotia recommended it.  If you go, let me know how you liked it.

We ended up going to Adega -- we weren't sure how many people or time, but they were able to be flexible and still let us eat at a reasonable hour.  We loved it!  Very attractive room, attentive and professional service and the food was really good.   We had:

-- rustic bread with a beaker of oil, with oil cured olives

-- a somewhat strange amuse-bouche of Portuguese cheese with lemon marmalade and a sprig of baby basil

-- my warm goat cheese with pistachio crust on baby bitter greens -- the goat cheese was delicious and I want to find out what it was, dense and creamy

-- tablemates all had PEI mussels in a white wine, garlic and tomato sauce, which they loved

-- my grouper with a tomato/caper reduction served with delicious stewed potatoes, and some seasonal vegs,  really good, fresh and sweet

-- lobster with a Portuguese style sauce (tomato, peppers, etc.), said to be very good

-- sea bass, deboned at the table, with olives, capers, tomatoes, peppers, etc., also said to be very good

-- A Douro red wine the waiter recommended, which was delicious and perfect with the food

-- Fantastic lychee creme brulee (very hard, glass like top, fabulous) with a side of strawberries and a blob of good mango sorbet

-- Tablemates all had fresh gelato and sorbets in tropical flavours, all of which they liked

Really, really enjoyed everything, very pleasant space and service, well-timed food presentation, and not all that expensive, considering.

Did notice that except for a steak and a chicken, most of the menu seemed to be either fish or pork sausage, which might limit it for some people.  But we were all happy as clams.  :)

Thanks for the recommend! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

On an expense account (or any account for that matter) I would suggest Scaramouche.

Still the most reliably excellent restaurant in the city.

We finally tried Scaramouche.  Wow.  One of the best meals ever, in a beautiful setting.  Really special.