• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beets on the Weber: what a disaster! Please help!

rotuts

As the heat is here, I decided to do a batch of beets on the grill, then cool and make into Chamber Vac pickled beets, perhaps a beet salad, etc.  Im a bit new to beets at home.

Im not a fan of boiling, but I could do that outdoors as i have a single 'burner' induction plate.

I did beets in the Cuisinart Steam Oven and they were superb, so I thought Id make a lot more beets. Outside.

these beets were similar to the beets I cooked both in the steam oven and the BV-XL, its on that thread :

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven/page-8

# 230

I treated these beets the same way: cut the ends off, then in 1/2.  A little olive oil, no seasoning this time

Here they are :

Beets Grill.jpg

Its been a long time since something came out so awfully bad for me.   :huh: 

The skin was inedible, like thick cardboard.  Many of the beets were very fibrous, and also inedible.  You can see some ‘pulled’ fiber, center, bottom.  The skins are on the L. lower.  The beet in the middle, far R was fine. Same as the beet top upper L.  Id taken a bite.

Im new to beets and would like to make more through out the summer, for chamber-vac pickles and a cold beet salad.

Any Beet experts out there?  Ill get some more, and take the CuisiSteamBoy outside and see how that does.

The steam in that oven kept the skins nice a soft and they were not noticeable.  I prefer to eat veg.skins if possible as long as they are delicious.

Here are the only beets that could be saved :  2

Beets Saved.jpg

they were however quite good.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Couple of questions:

1.  were the beets fresh with the greens attached?  In MHE fresh beets roast and boil better.  I have found that older beets without the greens take at least twice as long to cook as young ones with the tops.

2.  Are you adverse to keeping the beets whole and roast/steam in a packet with some olive oil and water?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm not a beet expert, but I suspect that the closed environment of the Breville helped trap moisture, with the result that a little steaming took place even without the deliberate steaming of your 'Steam Boy'. The Weber has more air passing through. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Precook the beets slightly in the microwave, as you noted you usually do (but did not need to with the Cuisinart or the Breville) with a little water to get them started with steam;

2. Cover the beets with foil before putting that tray on the Weber, so the moisture stays trapped inside.

Those are just guesses. Good luck! I love the idea of slightly smoky beets from the grill.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

these beets did not have tops.  they seemed to be in the same condition at the beets i used in the CuisiSteamBoy.

they were well cooked, but have though skin and most ended up very fibrous.

Ill give it another try in a few days

I would not attempt to cook beets uncovered (except in a steamy environment). I suggest you either wrap the beets individually in foil with a drizzle of olive oil or do as suggested and cover the baking tray with foil. I have also had beets that no amount of care on my part could make edible! Perhaps old, perhaps stored improperly or too long but they remained woody, fibrous and inedible.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you.  Rats.   I thought this would be easy, as I love beets and until now have never cooked them.

perhaps in the distant past i did and have long forgotten.

after all , the beets Im using must be from a past season.

I was stunned how easy they were ( w the skin ) in the CuisiSB

this time i did note that some of the beets  ( I did not count the # ) had light circles on the cut half, the sort of thing you see

w light red beets, or orange beets  that have this as a feature.  i've forgotten their  name

this :

B Fiber.jpg

would put anyones Compost Heap into HIgh Gear.

but Im a bit determined.  too bad Im 6 m out of synch.

I'm with Anna and Smithy, I have cooked beets on the BBQ and I always wrap them in foil first and then basically use the BBQ to bake them (indirect heat). I try to buy beets with tops, cut the greens off leaving an inch or so of stem attached and then rinse them well and wrap in foil. There is usually a bit of water left on them to help with steaming but sometimes I might add a tiny bit of olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar. If they are small, I will wrap several together. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Don't think I've ever even considered eating the SKINS??  Way to tough & rough?!?  I like beets roasted... S&P, olive oil and into foil in oven.  Since I PEEL them, thought what a waste of the seasoning and olive oil??  Now I boil them for maybe 10 minutes, then let cool enough to handle and peel.  THEN into foil with seasonings and oil.  I think beets are one of those rare veggies that almost CAN'T be over-cooked... might have different degrees of doneness but never seem to get mooshy.

• Like 1