• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time smoking a beef tongue. Tongue pastrami?

scubadoo97

For the 4th of July weekend I was thinking of making tongue pastrami

The Plan

2.7 lb beef tongue currently in pickling brine with cure #1.  I was planning to blanch after soaking it to remove the skin and allow me to clean it up then coat in pastrami spices and put on my smoker and smoke as I would a brisket.  Smoking a few hours then foiling and continuing in the smoker and or finishing in the oven over steam.  Not sure what internal temp to shoot for.  I would assume it would be similar to other big hunks of meat, 185-195f then chill and slice thin for sandwiches.

I know there are SV options as well.

Suggestions welcomed

I've done a few tongues. Not very easy, but worth the effort. Depending on how the tongue was cut and its size, it needs to be separated into 2 or 3 pieces. Namely,( tip ans middle) and root. The root section has a good bit of meat similar to ordinary beef muscle, but more than a usual amount of connective tissue. Might have some bone bits in it. The front sections are full of connective tissue. The middle can cook into something similar in texture to bologna. The front portion is hard to make gelatinous. By making 2 or 3 portions of the same volume, they will all cook about the same at the same time and temp. If you cook it in one big piece, the tip and the root end up very different.

Getting the skin off can be difficult. I'd suggest pressure cooking for a few minutes, and having a really sharp blade on hand. Or just accept losing some of the meat slicing the skin away.

No need to foil, tho beware the tip section getting too browned.

Your finish temp range is good.  Depending on the texture of the meat, some can be sliced thin and served cold, other portions may need to be sliced and briefly steamed.

Assuming the tongue was pre-cooked enough to let the skin come off without too much work, it will take lots of flavor. Smoke flavor can be quite strong. Depends on what you like, but I rarely eat more than a few slices at once. Its very rich and flavorful.

I certainly understand the joy that comes in successfully completing a task requiring knowledge, skill, perseverance and patience, such as the endeavor you describe. Yet, to me, this is why the Jewish meat processor was created. Gimme National Deli smoked tongue!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report