• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child's Kitchen

helenas

And I'm sure that there was no bigger pile of isolationist dreck then what they served at your Caribbean Night. Unless you were serving Curried Goat, Pigeon Peas, Callalloo and Ackee.

I am certain you are correct on this, as on all, points, even though you were not there.

I do not recall exactly what was served, but I do recall that this was quite a serious food group. And that the "theme" of the nights was announced well in advance. And that everyone was expected to do considerable research on whatever cuisine was being explored. And that I myself had gone to the library several times to peruse books before I made my selection. And that all the members of the group were sophisticated, educated people that had lived and traveled literally all over the world. Most certainly including the Caribbean.

As had I.

Although let me add again, in case I did not make myself clear, I am absolutely positive you are correct.

There undoubtedly existed in all of the Americas no bigger a pile of isolationist dreck than what they served at my Caribbean night.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There undoubtedly existed in all of the Americas no bigger a pile of isolationist dreck than what they served at my Caribbean night.

I hate to diagree with you again but, I am sure what they served at various Mah Jong games was even worse then what they served at your Carbibbean night. :wink:

I was in the bookstore tonight looking at the 40th anniversary issue of Mastering the Art of French Cooking -- volume 1 was originally published in 1961. I remember my sister, who was married in 1963, attempting recipes from it shortly after her marriage, and my sister has never been much of a cook. So I think that once it was published it did begin to encourage Americans to cook authentic French food.

I was thinking of James Beard, whose house has been preserved. Beard was basically a generation ahead of Julia Child, and primarily presented American food, as authentically as possible, to an American audience.

...I need to start a new support group:  "AWPA" - "Arguing With Plotnicki Anonymous" -- when you feel the compulsion to argue with Steve, you PM another member and they talk you out of it...

Not a bad idea. Of course, we would need our own version of the serenity prayer:

"Gully, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

courage to change the things I can...

and the wisdom to know that Plotnicki's mind rests forever in the first category." :wink:

...I need to start a new support group:  "AWPA" - "Arguing With Plotnicki Anonymous" -- when you feel the compulsion to argue with Steve, you PM another member and they talk you out of it...

Not a bad idea. Of course, we would need our own version of the serenity prayer:

and the wisdom to know that Plotnicki's mind rests forever in the first category." :wink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, I've gotten several PMs :biggrin: from other potential members of AWPA. I'll suggest to them your Serenity Prayer.

But as for me, I think it's just grand.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

...I need to start a new support group:  "AWPA" - "Arguing With Plotnicki Anonymous" -- when you feel the compulsion to argue with Steve, you PM another member and they talk you out of it...

201:

I spit coffee on my keyboard. Thank you.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

When you can't argue the facts you argue character.

I hope the irony of this statement being a character argument is not lost on anyone. :blink:

edit: Maggie, wasn't it about time to buy that shiny new keyboard anyway? :laugh:

Edited by 201 (log)

• 7 months later...

http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/

In the spirit of Julie Powell finishing the Julie/Julia Project, I thought you guys might want to have a look at where all of this great food was created.

Very, very sophisticated web site, with interactive tours, closeups on hundreds of objects, 360 degree panoramas, all that good stuff.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

They've done an excellent job.

Off-topic wise, I'd recommend also looking at many of the other Smithsonian sites.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Very nice, maybe Julie should have one now as well.

It'd have to be on HBO or Showtime because it just wouldn't be the same if she couldn't cuss.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 11 months later...
Bringing to foreground as a result of today's news.

Thank you for reviving this .. just found it after reading the lovely obit on MSNBC ... what joy she gave us in so many repects! I would never have thought to search for or to look for this thread from long ago ...

hearing her voice today brings me to tears .. of joy for her life and her passions ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for pulling this back up. I forgot her kitchen was over there, and I've never been to see. Definately going to see it Sunday. Bet it's going to be packed. In fact, it'd better be! I'll be the tall sad dude with glasses.

-- C.S.

:sad:

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Here is a revamped Julia's Kitchen website at The Smithsonian:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/kitchen/index.htm

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Here is a revamped Julia's Kitchen website at The Smithsonian:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/kitchen/index.htm

This is a very cool web site. Thanks for the link.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/

In the spirit of Julie Powell finishing the Julie/Julia Project, I thought you guys might want to have a look at where all of this great food was created.

Very, very sophisticated web site, with interactive tours, closeups on hundreds of objects, 360 degree panoramas, all that good stuff.

I wonder how insanely busy this site will be over the next few days.

EDIT - Actually... it's quite fast. Maybe the Smithsonian website isn't exactly the first place people rush when someone dies...

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I am frequently at the Museum of American History for work. Very frequently. Today there were bouquets of roses being left for her there. Thank God no one decided to leave scallops or turkeys!

If you're in the DC area, and you're like me, do not forget to visit the exhibit this weekend. Read all of the signs. See all of the pictures. Watch the video. You're looking at her real life kitchen. As she built it with Paul. As it was when she shot her last few television series.

Trust me. The feeling is overwhelming to be there now and understanding what this woman meant to every home in America. In fact, when I compare it to the recent hoop-de-do for Reagan......I just don't get it. Sure, Reagan had an effect on every American's life in a distant way. Julia struck us all in a different way. You may not have known her influence, but there's a strong reason why you're not eating meat loaf tonight. If not for her, odds are good it would be on your plate. Her imprint is there, but you probably don't know her influence. Then add in the contribution she and Paul made to the defense of this country in the OSS.

The US Postal Service requires that, aside from a deceased president, ten years must pass before a civilian may be honored on a postage stamp. May I suggest that we begin here and now, on e-gullet, to build that list of petitioners in support of a postage stamp of Julia Child? Jason, would you find some way to make e-gullet the collective source so that petition could be made to the Citizens Stamp Advisory Committee that a Julia Child commemorative stamp be issued in 2014?

This is of course, an excellent idea. But which Julia would you want on the stamp, the young Julia from the 1960's and 70's immortalized in her TV show or the older Julia?

How about a series of Julia's from different ponts in her life?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How about a series of Julia's from different ponts in her life?

I believe they finalized on two different designs of stamps for commemorating Elvis, but they only settled on one portrait, the young Elvis. I agree that Julia is probably equally important as Elvis Presley to American culture, but if Elvis got only one stamp, why should Julia get a series?

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/artofthesta...elvisballot.htm

That being said I WOULD like to see the postal service commission a Julia stamp, as well as stamps for other well known American culinary icons, such as James Beard and Justin Wilson and a few others.

Elvis was in fact the first time that the public had any opportunity to have actual input into a stamp issue. It was the first time Americans voted for a particular image on a stamp. I think you're absolutely right about Julia's influence being just a powerful as Elvis's. But instead of fellow musicians, think of fellow chefs. Instead of music lovers/record buyers, think of restaurant goers and anyone who cooks a meal at home. There's no doubt in my mind she's stamp-worthy. Just as sure as Tom Seaver was a first year entrant to Cooperstown!

And I think the idea of expanding it to other Americans defining our culinary culture is a superb idea. If they can make stamps for four obscure American sculptors/blues singers/hairstylists/whathaveyou, there's plenty of room for a block of stamps for 4 to 10 American culinary influences.

14 thousand members is a good head start for a ten year plan. I'm happy to help you run with it.