• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

You should see if Heather from Loon Song still does eggs...  I remember her getting a sitter for the chickens when she took a Christmas Vacation a few years back so she might still be in the business :-)

I picked fresh peas at Pike Lake Farms too so that will be coming up soon too!

I look forward to your adventures!

thank you for all those country pics

what might be the white 3.0 L thing-y be ?

attachicon.gif3.0.jpg

I almost do not what to know.

let it roll around the brain a bit.

I give up.

It's an asian water boiler - means I can have a pot of tea post haste.  Hubby won't let me have one at home cause he worries about fires - but I have one here, one at my ER job, one at my Men's Mission job.  Along with a Dutch tea cosy and proper brown betty at each of those locations.  

• Like 4

Smithy

Yes it was just one (3 or 4 qt) basket of the teeniest strawberries and I just spent ages hulling them. Kerry took a few handfuls and used them in something she is baking to take into emerg tomorrow. The rest are in the freezer on parchment and we will package them later this evening. Kerry forgot to mention the dog in the outside garden centre of the grocercy store. She thought she heard someone snoring but it was a huge slobby English lab who just wanted to be friends.

The sauce was nothing more than 1/2 cup of yogourt mixed with a generous tablespoon of good grainy mustard. Worked well with the grilled romaine.

Edited to add Smithy's name as I forgot to use the quote function.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm on call tomorrow and then again on Tuesday.  So no specific plans.  Downtown Little Current gets very busy on Canada Day - so hope to have a few hours free to check out what is going on.  

Thanks, girls!  These are among my favorite posts on eGullet.  I had a handful of alpine strawberries pulled tonight from my bushes.  My blueberries are looking good but last year I had one blueberry, one, after the birds got through.

Listening in my head to Dar Williams' Oh Canada Girls.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

So the day begins rather badly. With my first cup of coffee I carefully re-converted a bread recipe because I had forgotten to bring mine with me. After more math than anyone should have to endure on a Sunday morning I headed into the kitchen. Damn! The semolina flour is packaged with some cornmeal and it's not smelling all that fresh. So much for that plan. Back to the drawing board. I really want to give the combi oven a fair test. Perhaps I will have to settle for making my four-hour baguette dough once again.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

With these plucked from nests yesterday while I waited in the car there was no dithering about breakfast.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I haven't been able to distinguish flavor differences between the colored eggs and standard brown eggs, but I love the way they look.

Are you saying that the cornmeal contaminated the semolina, or have they both gone off? Had they been packed together for long?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can't tell the difference in terms of flavour either but white and brown eggs suddenly seem very boring. The two packages were in a large ziplock bag. I concluded without checking that both were Durum semolina. The cornmeal is still in a sealed bag so not sure of its freshness but the small quantity of semolina had that smell of very old flour. Kerry suspects it might be as old as 5 years! I binned it. We'll re-stock at some point.

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm wondering when the blueberries are going to start! 

I'm waiting too. I've already been scouting but it looks like they're still at least a couple weeks out at this end. We've been having a cool, wet spring/early summer so far, which I don't particularly like but the blueberries seem to love. The plants are loaded.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I haven't been able to distinguish flavor differences between the colored eggs and standard brown eggs, but I love the way they look.

Are you saying that the cornmeal contaminated the semolina, or have they both gone off? Had they been packed together for long?

The gal that I get my eggs from always throws in a few of those lovely blue colored eggs.   I can't tell a taste difference either, but I've banned my husband from them.  Blue ones are all mine LOL.  I asked what kind of chicken produced the blue ones and she told me.....but for the life of me I can't remember except it had the word "Americana" in it.  Americana chicken perhaps?

So my cooking goals this summer are to test out the combi oven, to make some Asian pickles, to cook from Jerusalem and to do some more baking.

This morning I am going to make some bread and at least one Asian pickle.

First though for Smithy here is a photograph of the strawberries after they were frozen:

You can see how tiny they are.

image.jpg

As usual I mixed the bread dough in the Thermomix. here it is when it's been needed a full five minutes:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here it is resting before final shaping

image.jpg

And couched in parchment for final rise:

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

First up for the Asian pickles are "wasabi" carrots. In quotation marks because it is better to use real horseradish than fake wasabi. I am certain somewhere in this house are ordinary hot pepper flakes. However I have not found them. I am vertically challenged so they may be one of the top cupboards. But I brought along some Korean hot peppers and they will have to do.

Here's the mise en place:

image.jpg

At first I thought I would spend the whole morning turning carrots into ribbons. But I quickly worked out a system that enabled me to work very quickly. I dragged the cutting board to the very edge of the counter so that the potato peeler was pretty much flat to the carrot. I lost the odd ribbon to the floor but it was a small price to pay for the speed with which I worked.

image.jpg

The carrots are made into ribbons, the other ingredients combined and then massaged into the carrots. A drop lid pickle fermenter is called for but I managed to Macgyver a substitute.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

those carrots look very interesting.  

of the two 'white' items one might be salt, and the would be  ....

do you have a ref to this ?

tomorrow Im going to try some Chamber Vac pickles, Kirby cuc;s and roasted beets ...

and I have most of these ingredients  so I might add that to the list .

thanks

• Like 1

Is that hot plate an induction model?

I think the carrot ribbon method is brilliant!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

those carrots look very interesting.  

of the two 'white' items one might be salt, and the would be  ....

do you have a ref to this ?

tomorrow Im going to try some Chamber Vac pickles, Kirby cuc;s and roasted beets ...

and I have most of these ingredients  so I might add that to the list .

thanks

Other would be sugar. The recipe is from Asian pickles by Karen Solomon.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Is that hot plate an induction model?

I think the carrot ribbon method is brilliant!

It is indeed:

image.jpg

Both Kerry and I are induction converts. This one lives up here so it is always available when we come. The resident range is a glass top electric which neither of us wants to use.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog