• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

So Kerry Beal and I headed north today to spend five weeks on Manitoulin Island. As usual we want to share our adventures with you. We left the Burlington/Oakville area about 8:30 this morning, drove north through Barrie and Sudbury and arrived in Little Current on the Island around 3:30 this afternoon.

image.jpg

You get an idea here of how packed car was. There was barely room for Kira. The egg cartons which Kerry and I had saved since last fall took up a great deal of space. We discovered in a text message from the Island that our egg lady is no longer in business. We can't imagine not having dozens and dozens of freshly laid eggs. We will be trying to source from a new supplier.

You can also just get a glimpse of the mint that will be appearing in our cocktails.

Breakfast was a quick swing through McDonald's drive-through. I had a sausage McMuffin with egg and Kerry had a bacon and egg McMuffin. We both had hashbrowns. No photo but then you all know what these look like.

Lunch was not a great improvement.

image.jpg

From Jeremy's truck stop in Nairn Centre a toasted club for Kerry

image.jpg

A toasted BLT for me.

Kerry had a side of their famous potato pancakes with sour cream

image.jpg

And I had a bag of potato chips

image.jpg

We just wanted to keep driving and get to Little Current as soon as possible. We promise the food will improve from here on!

Edited to change minutes to mint.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When I went to unpack our cooler bag I found that my bottle of pipelchuma had turned upside down and a great deal of the oil had spread onto everything. No real harm done thank goodness because these cheeses were in that cooler bag:

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN2855.jpg

First cocktail on the island - we haven't had a chance to unpack our booze yet - so had to make do with what was in the stuff we brought up.  So that included brandy, cognac, maraschino, homemade vermouth, arak and a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao.  (By the way all you Ontarians - the PFDC is for sale now at the LCBO and it was on SALE!)  

Opted for a Sidecar.  

• Like 1

Looking forward to reading your upcoming posts. I had never heard of pipelchuma, I guess I must lead a sheltered life. I did look it up and it sounds wonderfully hot. Those potato pancakes don't look all that bad, especially since it is 8:30 and we have yet to have dinner.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

Looking forward to reading your upcoming posts. I had never heard of pipelchuma, I guess I must lead a sheltered life. I did look it up and it sounds wonderfully hot. Those potato pancakes don't look all that bad, especially since it is 8:30 and we have yet to have dinner. Anna, are the kittens with your daughter?

Elsie the potato pancakes are actually very good. As for your other question I will answer you by PM to keep this on-topic.

My 2004 eG Blog

How many ovens will you have available, once everything is unpacked and set up?

We will have the convection oven that is part of the stove, the little Cuisinart Steam oven that we brought up to play with, the Big Easy and the little BGE.  Oh yeah - and in a pinch we could use the gasser outside on the balcony as an oven. 

Yay, Yay, Yay!!!!  I love reading your food adventures. Looking forward to all that you will share!

How old is Kira now? 

Glad you are following along - we'll be making some of the old favourites - and along with the test kitchen theme - a few new ones.  

Herself is 13 now.  

• Like 1

(By the way all you Ontarians - the PFDC is for sale now at the LCBO and it was on SALE!)

That sent me to check the site for availability at this end and I got my first glimpse of the new LCBO site... gonna have to navigate around it a bit but it looks like they've made browsing needlessly more annoying.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So Kerry Beal and I headed north today to spend five weeks on Manitoulin Island.

One of my favorite times of year on eGullet. I always look forward to this announcement and the fun that follows.

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That sent me to check the site for availability at this end and I got my first glimpse of the new LCBO site... gonna have to navigate around it a bit but it looks like they've made browsing needlessly more annoying.

Damn - hadn't seen that new site - you can't just ask it to tell you all the stores and how many bottles they have.  Sucks!

Oh, I'm looking forward to this!  Let the testing and the noshing begin.  I'm glad those excellent-looking cheeses weren't damaged by the spill.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Looking out on this marina

image.jpg

Eating a pear and some Cashel blue cheese for breakfast.

image.jpg

I understand we will be heading out to the market shortly.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN2856.jpg

We arrived just as the market was setting up.

DSCN2857.jpg

Heather from Loon Song - honey and Red Fife flour obtained.

DSCN2858.jpg

Pile Lake farms for some spinach.

DSCN2859.jpg

There is a new store in town - organic and natural foods - the owner has lived in Japan and Korea and introduced Manitoulin to quality sushi last year.  They have a few tables in there too for a little cafe.  We didn't get the whole scoop on what they are serving yet.  

• Like 4

DSCN2861.jpg

Famished by the time we arrived back from the market - made myself a toasted sandwich with an egg, some cheddar and kimchi.  Toast made in the Cuisinart Steam oven - setting 4.  The other side had no lines!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN2861.jpg

Famished by the time we arrived back from the market - made myself a toasted sandwich with an egg, some cheddar and kimchi.  Toast made in the Cuisinart Steam oven - setting 4.  The other side had no lines!

Another trick I do with the Cuisi when toasting is to toast on 2 - rotate the item being toasted, and toast on 1!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

When we went to the market this morning - the lady from Pike Lake farms said that they had some strawberries picked but she didn't bring them to town so there would be no fighting over them.  We decided that a run out there would be wise to get both strawberries and eggs. 

Turn right at the first Inulshuk when heading down island.

DSCN2868.jpg

DSCN2862.jpg

The view above their farm.  

DSCN2864.jpg

DSCN2866.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

The first dog I patted today - there would be several others before we arrived home.

Next we headed off to Max Burt's farm for some meat, bacon and maple syrup.  One dog to be patted. 

Then off to another egg place in hopes of finding duck eggs - not so successful - no duck eggs to be had (4 dogs to be patted) - we left with 1 carton of non washed non graded colourful eggs.  

Then we became gloriously lost!  Took us about 2 hours to find our way back to Mindamoya where we hit the grocery store for some staples.  We saw Fred's Camp 4 times on our travels!

• Like 4

You must have seen some lovely country while you were lost, so you can say you had to go see it again. ;-) How fortunate for you that you had to drive to go get the strawberries! (It's also nice to be in country where the dogs are of the pat-me-please variety.) You DID come away with strawberries, even if not duck eggs, didn't you? Was it just the one basket of berries?

What kind of dressing did you put on that romaine? I think I see the pitcher just at the right margin of the picture.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown