• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

Congratulations to the CuisiSB and AnnaN, Operator!

:biggrin:

hope the beets also do well

dont know anything about those tops, though  

:wink:

Well the beats did equally well. Thank you for suggesting I try again:

image.jpg

The skin came off relatively easily and with a little butter and lots of pepper they are quite delicious.

The bread too seems to have emerged in fine fettle:

image.jpg

Now I will take a break before tackling the braided chicken pot pie.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"They are in the dishwasher now - sadly it seems to have gone tits up again - totally full of dirty dishes!"

Sorry about the dishwasher, especially with the amount of cooking you both do, but thank you for the "gone tits up again". Glad I hadn't just taken a drink of my morning tea, would've made an awful mess of my laptop!

Love, love,love, your adventures in Manitoulin, the two of you doing these amazing things, under far less than ideal conditions. Always waiting for the next one. 

• Like 2

I'm only half joking when I say that I'd volunteer to do your dishes if I could hang out in the kitchen with you, and eat some of what you produce!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm only half joking when I say that I'd volunteer to do your dishes if I could hang out in the kitchen with you, and eat some of what you produce!

Let's see - 2 1/2 hours to the border, 1 hour to Toronto, 5 hours to LIttle Current - see you around 9 tonight?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"They are in the dishwasher now - sadly it seems to have gone tits up again - totally full of dirty dishes!"

Sorry about the dishwasher, especially with the amount of cooking you both do, but thank you for the "gone tits up again". Glad I hadn't just taken a drink of my morning tea, would've made an awful mess of my laptop!

Love, love,love, your adventures in Manitoulin, the two of you doing these amazing things, under far less than ideal conditions. Always waiting for the next one.

And here's one of those less than ideal conditions:

image.jpg

This saute pan has no lid! You learn the art of compromise and the need for some level of ingenuity.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

And here's one of those less than ideal conditions:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This saute pan has no lid! You learn the art of compromise and the need for some level of ingenuity.

Can't you use the lily pad?

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

So my mind took a detour as it is wont to do. I love most cold meats but lamb.......not so much. And there was a lamb left over from last night. My gaze took in the windowsill where there were two packages of pearl onions. The leap from leftover lamb and pearl onions to Massaman curry cannot be explained by any force of logic. But I still needed to get off my feet for a bit. So after blanching, the onions came with me into the living room where I could watch the goings on in the marina and drink coffee while I peeled them. Peeled a couple of potatoes, have tamarind soaking, cracked the coconut and we are well on our way to using up the leftover lamb! One thing I can say about this kitchen is that you can almost guarantee most of the ingredients for a Thai curry will be on hand.

image.jpg

This still leaves the braided chicken potpie up in the air though.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Can't you use the lily pad?

Strangely, I had popped it on there but immediately removed it. Not sure I want an airtight seal nor do I want to be trying to remove curry paste from the Lillypad.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna and Kerry, I left on vacation last week on page 15 and just got caught up on your wonderful adventures. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

So the Massaman curry turned out pretty good:

image.jpg

Here's the mise en place for the braided chicken pot pie. Not ingredients you will often see in the Beal-Nielsen kitchen! Pillsbury crescent rolls, cooked chicken, frozen peas and carrots, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and cream of chicken soup.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory I think.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I really really like this.

its thinking a bit outside the "gourmet" box

why not ?

after all, you didn't roll up some """ vienna sausage """  from a can :wacko:

in some of that dough  

and bake them and call them and call them Pigs in a Blanket, did you ?

:blink:

I really really like this.

its thinking a bit outside the "gourmet" box

why not ?

after all, you didn't roll up some """ vienna sausage """ from a can :wacko:

in some of that dough

and bake them and call them and call them Pigs in a Blanket, did you ?

:blink:

However, it tastes very much like cream of chicken soup!

Edited to add photo of finished braid:

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I just bookmarked this page with the title "Braided Chicken Pot Pie." So going to make that after the weather cools off. Not using the oven these days because of the high summer temperatures here in the reclaimed desert that is much of southern California.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I just bookmarked this page with the title "Braided Chicken Pot Pie." So going to make that after the weather cools off. Not using the oven these days because of the high summer temperatures here in the reclaimed desert that is much of southern California.

Here's a link to the recipe I used. Scroll down. Way, way down

http://www.wineandglue.com/2014/03/chicken-pot-pie-crescent-braid.html

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm thinking I will make a basic white sauce to substitute for the soup.

The issue will be consistency. The prime reason I followed the recipe was to establish a baseline for the consistency.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Dropped in the ER on my way home - poor locum ER doc was up to his ass in alligators - nurses mentioned he hadn't had lunch (4 in the afternoon).  We put him together a plate and dropped it around.  Might give him the energy to go on.

DSCN3084.jpg

DSCN3085.jpg

DSCN3086.jpg

• Like 4

like it.  like it a lot 

but the white bread does what ?

Fills an empty hole in a young, skinny doc and soaks up sauce from the curry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, thank you for the link. It is my habit to copy recipes and put them into a Word document, which I have just done. I have a particular way I like recipes formatted. I also can't stand recipes where the list of ingredients isn't in the order used so I fixed that.

edited to add: since I don't like to dirty extra bowls and such I will be sorely tempted to mix the cheeses and soup in a bowl and then add the peas & carrots and the chicken.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Anna, thank you for the link. It is my habit to copy recipes and put them into a Word document, which I have just done. I have a particular way I like recipes formatted. I also can't stand recipes where the list of ingredients isn't in the order used so I fixed that.

edited to add: since I don't like to dirty extra bowls and such I will be sorely tempted to mix the cheeses and soup in a bowl and then add the peas & carrots and the chicken.

Here's the issue. I don't like dirty bowls either but there is no way you're going to be able to combine the cream cheese and soup if you have all that other stuff in there. I had to nuke the cheese to even begin to combine it with the soup. Just saying.... Hoping to save you some heartache.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN  

hope you post the cut tranche

thanks for the 'insight'  

or 'post sight'

Here you go. It has been out of the oven for some time and looked somewhat more "plump" earlier. image.jpg
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog