• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

What - no explanation about "The silliest Knife ever Plus Bonus stupid fork"? You can't leave us hanging like that!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have a huge walnut tree and have never picked it ( I know, I know, what a waste ) I am not a big nut fan....however, I feel I should try.  I wonder if they are ripe now here in Kansas?  How do you know they are ready to pick?  I have heard they are a huge pain to shell/peel (?) fresh?

The Appenzeller came up here with us. It was purchased from our favourite cheese shop, Mickey McGuire's in Dundas, Ont., very much worth a visit if you are in our area.

I will second that, about the quality .  I have only visited their stall at the St. Jacobs market, but  that  gives Vincenzo's a run for its money for best cheese counter in the K-W area.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I have a huge walnut tree and have never picked it ( I know, I know, what a waste ) I am not a big nut fan....however, I feel I should try.  I wonder if they are ripe now here in Kansas?  How do you know they are ready to pick?  I have heard they are a huge pain to shell/peel (?) fresh?

These ones are no where near ripe - they are about the size of a doughnut hole - when you cut them in half you can see a white fetal nut and shell.  I'm using them to make vin de noix.  

IMG_1378.jpg

Here they are cut in quarters, with some brandy and neutral alcohol on them.  Tomorrow I'll hit the LCBO for some cheap red wine.  

• Like 2

A belated good morning. I have been up since seven but I am moving slowly today! No photo of breakfast as it would be too boring. Had Braunschweig are on toast with pickled beets again.

Forgot to post a photo of last night's dinner:

image.jpg

Instant noodles but I tossed both seasoning packages in the garbage. I cooked the noodles, drained them then dressed them with the leftover juice from the chicken and shallots of yesterday. I added romaine lettuce, leftover beef and a few chunks of kielbasa. Made for a tasty and comforting meal.

After we returned from our trip yesterday I prepared the half-price lamb shanks for sous-viding not giving much thought to the fact that we only had one ANOVA with us and it was now going to be fully occupied for 48 hours. Should not be a big deal until I considered what meat was in the house for tonight's dinner. Pretty much all of it would benefit from a little swim in a water bath.

So I turned my thoughts away from meat as protein this evening. Over here

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148945-dinner-2014-part-4/?p=1978083

on the dinner thread Blether is making quiche. It has been many years since I attempted a quiche and I must have used a premade piecrust as I am pastry – challenged! But this is the test kitchen. I always wanted to try the Cook's illustrated vodka pastry. What better time?

image.jpg

I want you to look carefully at this photograph. There is nothing startling about the mise en place but do look at that Cuisinart food processor. It is only slightly younger than me I reckon. It has no controls not even an on off switch. Figuring out how to pulse in the beast took most of my brainpower this morning. However the pastry is now in the refrigerator for a 45 minute chill down. Wish me luck!

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I want you to look carefully at this photograph. There is nothing startling about the mise en place but do look at that Cuisinart food processor. It is only slightly younger than me I reckon. It has no controls not even an on off switch. Figuring out how to pulse in the beast took most of my brainpower this morning. However the pastry is now in the refrigerator for a 45 minute chill down. Wish me luck!

My parents have the exact same Cuisinart! And it still works... they probably acquired it in the early '80s. The logic back then: who needs a finger switch if there is already a switch built into the cover?

Shelby, we get walnuts from our neighbour. Here in southern British Columbia the walnuts are falling from the trees in early October. The shells are soft and either crack open or are easy to pry open. If they get too dry then they are a pain to get open. However they do stain your hands...wear some gloves. After they are shelled lay them out in a cool dry place so they can cure...around three weeks. We store ours in the wine cellar. Good luck.

• Like 1

Shelby, black walnuts are wonderful!  They're just a real chore to get the nut meats out.
We used to do it on a concrete sidewalk alongside the house (where it didn't matter too much that the concrete would get stained).  We'd spread them out and bash them with a hammer, both to get the outside husks off and to crack the shells.  Then, use a nutcracker (the plier-like kind) to crack them further and a nut pick to pry the meat out.  If we had a lot of them, we could take them to the feed store and they'd hull/crack them in a machine.  This was in Missouri.  I'm guessing you could find someplace near you to do the same.  I love black walnuts in brownies and banana bread! 

• Like 1

Oh the crust looks great Anna!

BTW, I've found out that our walnut tree is a black walnut tree.  Probably best to skip that little experiment lol.

Thank you, Shelby. However I think Kerry was especially hungry tonight!

Here is the crust ready to go into the oven

image.jpg

And the finished pie

image.jpg

It had too much filling relative to the custard and I did not cook the mushrooms long enough so there was a fair bit of weeping of mushroom juices. It also took me the better part of the day. Don't know what I was doing fooling around for that long.

I did take time out for a very easy lunch

image.jpg

Salmon salad on toast. I added a shishito pepper, a couple of scallions, some homemade mayo and a squirt of sriracha to a can of salmon.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby...girl, you've got gold in that there tree! Black walnuts are highly prized by serious bakers. My mom grew up in Ellsworth, KS, and at age 84 still talks about the black walnuts from her family's farm. If you don't want them, either barter them away for something you do want or call your local Gleaners when they're ripe. Nuts are a good protein source.

Anna and Kerry...thank you for taking the time to post the pics of your meals, libations and baked goods. You are both inspiring and have made me soooo hungry!  :laugh:

I've been Googling a lot of your ingredients...thanks for the education. That appenzeller cheese has me jonesing for Swiss cheese now (my dairy Achilles heel). :wink: 

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That appenzeller cheese has me jonesing for Swiss cheese now (my dairy Achilles heel). :wink: 

And that just reminded me that I need to pick up some emmentaler - my sweetie is jonesing for some French onion soup.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Dinner with Anna's son.  

attachicon.gifDSCN3006.jpg

Corn done on the Big Easy.

attachicon.gifDSCN3007.jpg

Smashed potatoes.

attachicon.gifDSCN3009.jpg

Picanha with corn and smashed potatoes.  

Try doing the corn out of the husks and directly on the grill. Baste with butter every so often.The corn is done when the kernels start popping! Its my favourite way

Flan was a flop - will try again.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Offerings for the folks in Sudbury at the restaurant supply today - we have bowl panned gumdrops and half dipped oreos.

See you later!

• Like 4

BTW, I've found out that our walnut tree is a black walnut tree.  Probably best to skip that little experiment lol.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  Harvest them though they are a bear to get the meat out of.  My grandfather's birthday cake was always a spice cake with black walnut icing.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  Harvest them though they are a bear to get the meat out of.  My grandfather's birthday cake was always a spice cake with black walnut icing.

I have heard that you can crack black walnuts by spreading them over your (concrete) driveway and running your car back and forth over them.  No experience, because to me they taste as though someone has sprinkled aspirin over my food.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)
  • Like 1

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali