• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

I agree with you on the lentils. I never could understand why people like them as much as they do.

I agree with you on the lentils. I never could understand why people like them as much as they do.

Glad I am not entirely alone on my lentil hatred. I want to like them but I think I must simply accept that I don't and that I am not too likely to change my mind.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just got my copy of The Banh Mi Handbook today and have been looking at the recipe for the buns. I plan on making them but first need to get some vitamin C. I look forward to hearing your report on what they are like.

DSCN2991.jpg

DSCN2993.jpg

My Banh mi - mayo, chicken, fried onions, cucumber, pickled ginger, spicy carrots, pickled pear, hoisin and sriracha.  A sandwich that bites back just a little.  

• Like 2

attachicon.gifDSCN2990.jpg

Lunch today at work - grilled cheese.  A classic - of course with ketchup.

In my little world, ketchup is a must with four things - scrambled eggs, home fries, tourtière and Mac and cheese. they aren't the same with out it. Oh, and sometimes a smidge with meat loaf.

I just got my copy of The Banh Mi Handbook today and have been looking at the recipe for the buns. I plan on making them but first need to get some vitamin C. I look forward to hearing your report on what they are like.

Won't happen until we can get VWG. Health food store wonders why anyone would want gluten in this gluten-fee world.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

... and sometimes a smidge with meat loaf.

Making meatloaf tonight. It WILL be topped with ketchup. Heinz to be exact. I don't really do ketchup in general but meatloaf requires it.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

attachicon.gifDSCN2991.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN2993.jpg

My Banh mi - mayo, chicken, fried onions, cucumber, pickled ginger, spicy carrots, pickled pear, hoisin and sriracha.  A sandwich that bites back just a little.

Kerry was too nice. She should have told you that the bun was yucky! Too dense by far. My first attempt and I remind myself daily this is a test kitchen. She is a damned good sport about it all.

My 2004 eG Blog

A Bit OT:  meatloaf, any kind requires bacon.  as much as you can over layer on the loaf.

think your Siding on the House : each layer is 50 % under the previous one.

just saying.

In my little world, ketchup is a must with four things - scrambled eggs, home fries, tourtière and Mac and cheese. they aren't the same with out it. Oh, and sometimes a smidge with meat loaf.

Ketchup on toast and very rarely ketchup and mayonnaise combined on a burger. But if ketchup disappeared I doubt I would mourn its passing. HP sauce is another matter entirely.

My 2004 eG Blog

Won't happen until we can get VWG. Health food store wonders why anyone would want gluten in this gluten-fee world.

Try Foodland in Mindemoya.  I once sent DH for some Bob's Mill Gluten Free Flour mix for making pancakes for the Inlaws who were coming to visit.  I had seen it at Foodland once, but all he got was Bob's Mill Gluten Wheat Flour.  I learned to make more specific grocery lists after that :-)   It was a couple of years back so no guarantees they still stock it.

Actually just texted the hubby - got him to look in the drawer at home where I knew it was hiding - added to the pile that Anna's son is bringing up on Saturday when he comes to stay at Freer Point.

• Like 5

IMG_1349.jpg

Too lazy to turn on the lights before taking the picture of the cheese biscuits I made to take to work this morning.   Used tikidoc's cream scone recipe as the base.  

IMG_1351.jpg

Semolina bread, chicken and pickles pears with a slather of mayo.  Breakfast doesn't get any better than this!

• Like 2

Good morning. Breakfast this morning was last night's leftover chicken plus some braunschweiger on a hollowed out roll with some pickled pears.

image.jpg

If I ever stop shivering I intend to make some walnut raisin bread today. I can't believe I am sitting with a blanket around me in July!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

If I ever stop shivering I intend to make some walnut raisin bread today. I can't believe I am sitting with a blanket around me in July!

It's the return of the polar vortex...

I so look forward to this thread every year.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's the return of the polar vortex...

I so look forward to this thread every year.

I'm finally warm but my muscles ache from shivering so much! Damn these polar vortices. Thanks for your support about our shenanigans. When all is silent we wonder if we have become boring.

I did finally manage to mix together the dough for the walnut raisin bread. It's a Delia Smith recipe which can easily be found on line. I found the amount of fruit and nuts to be almost more than the dough could take and I did in fact cut back a little.

image.jpg

While it bakes I am munching on a cheese biscuit that Kerry left me this morning.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

When all is silent we wonder if we have become boring.

Never worry about being boring - the postings that you and Kerry put up are far from that. I look forward to your trip each year. I get more of a sense of community from this annual thread than any other postings on eGullet. And each year I learn something new.

ETA: If I could I would send you some of the early summer heat we are having in southern California.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Never boring!  I am pouring over old zucchini threads here for some new ideas (I have a bazillion of them already--zukes, not ideas) and while I do that, I eagerly await new posts on this thread  :smile:

Edited by Shelby (log)

Never boring! I love this thread each year!

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Thank you to all of you for your support!

Suspect that the walnut raisin bread is a failure. It feels more like a bowling ball than a loaf of bread. I know my yeast is good as it is brand-new. The dough passed the finger poke test to suggest that it was fully proofed. Yet from the beginning I had my doubts. It may turn out to be tolerable. One cannot expect a light, airy loaf with all that fruit in it I suppose. Will have to wait and see when it cools.

image.jpg

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Perhaps it isn't intended to be a light, airy loaf, but rather a good, dense chewy bread instead? At least, that can be your claim. ;-) It sounds like the perfect accompaniment to some good cheese, spread atop like cream cheese or eaten on the side.

This was the perfect opening for me to add my voice the chorus that says, "keep on posting!" You two have my rapt attention, and it's clear I'm not alone. Blog on!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I wish I could come for a visit! I love this thread. How you get so much baking, cooking, shopping, eating out and working at the hospital done on a daily basis amazes me. It's time for you to invent a cocktail called The Manitoulin, to celebrate the fact that cocktail hour must be very long in the late daylight hours. That way we can all follow along in spirit and in spirits.

• Like 5

Well, it looks pretty!  You could always make a bread pudding out of it......

Might end up doing that but bread puddings are Kerry's forte so might have to hand it over!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog