• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Shrimp Hors D'Oeuvre

Chris Hennes

I have (perhaps foolishly) agreed to help my sister out with the hors d'oeuvres at her upcoming wedding. It's a small party, and for the most part she's doing various charcuterie elements that are already taken care of. She has requested that I make a cold shrimp item: her fiance has requested that it not be shrimp and cocktail sauce  :smile: . I'm looking for some ideas and recipes for easy-to-eat, not-too-messy, cook-ahead, served-cold shrimp dishes. I'll have reasonable kitchen facilities including sous vide equipment, so that's the current plan. I basically need some marinade and/or dry-rub ideas that are family-friendly (e.g. basically no capsaicin involved).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

How about some version of shrimp lettuce wraps? 

This at Simply Recipes could be adapted to use shrimp in place of salmon:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/salmon_lettuce_wraps_with_cucumber_jicama_and_ginger/

With peanut dipping sauce:

http://natashaskitchen.com/2014/01/22/shrimp-lettuce-wraps-with-peanut-dipping-sauce/

Or Vietnamese style:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-shrimp-lettuce-wraps-with-spicy-lime-dipping-sauce-10000001203620/

Browsing some of these might give you some ideas for your own fave combo of ingredients. 

Mini summer rolls, you just need to cover them well so they don't dry out. Also, instead of a dipping sauce, make a tahini and spice (fresh ginger, garlic, etc.) paste and apply to the inside.

Ceviche on skewers. Put shrimp and some raw veg on the skewers and marinate in a tall container. Pull out and place on a platter to serve.

This is very simple but I get good feedback every time I serve it: 

Jalapeno Shrimp

adapted from realsimple.com

1 1/2 pounds large peeled shrimp

jarred pickled jalapeno slices (I like Trappeys brand), cold

1/4 cup of pickling liquid

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

1/4 teaspoon salt

Poach the shrimp. Toss with the cold pickling liquid, lime juice, cilantro, jalepeno slices to taste, and salt. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 1

My first thought was smoked shrimps  skewers  with dip in a glass.  

I was thinking along the lines of smoking them also. That will give them a unique flavor unlike normal shrimp cocktail.  You could also apply barbecue sauce if you were smoking them .

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Oh we smoke them   at home and bring them as they are to parties, served cold. I did a   stove top smoker  with tea, smoked 10 portions, just used a  dutch oven, tea with sugar and it worked.

We had  a chili sauce with them last time we made them. There is a lot of  easy to build  stove top smokers  tutorial  online.

You could marinate them in liquid smoke, I guess.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

How many mouths do you need to feed?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Okay. How about something that that starts from the paradigm of Rice Crispie treats, but with smallish shrimp instead of puffed rice?

I'm envisioning something intensely shrimpy and savoury, slightly moist, easily cut into cubes, and eatable as finger food, even if there are no plates, but only tiny paper napkin. Contrasting a crisp/firm/puffed texture and a slightly moist binder, just enough to hold together the other element, and perhaps add another layer of flavour. Avoiding a gummy/rubbery texture would be important, but I'm fairly certain this would be doable, especially with the assist of modernist ingredients. And, it would definitely not be your run-of-the-mill shrimp hors d'oeuvre, although the flavours used could be the traditional shrimp cocktail ones, essentially de- and reconstructing it.

This might even be a way to present shrimp in a way that is attractive to not only shrimp appreciators, but also the shrimp-averse, if their main issue is related to texture.

ETA It might be interesting if the phases were inverted, that is, the solid shrimp were the softer part, and the fluid binder was crunchy, although the only binder I can immediately think of that would set up crunchy is caramelized sugar, and that would not work.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The link provided by Kim Shook appears to be a very good one that can be done well before the wedding and adapted to your "fit on a stick" thought. However, you can also change it to be marinated in a light lime dressing and then served on small skewers. Although it may not be appropriate to do in bulk, mini bruschetta platters may be a thought. Then also think along the lines of sushi - easy to do in advance.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

An old, old, classic: shrimp in aspic. Use bite sized molds, silicon should work just fine. The aspic itself could be flavored dozens of ways: cocktail sauce, green curry, shrimp stock/old bay/lemon, ginger soy, etc. The nice thing here is that they could be made 2 days in advance, and are simple to unmold onto a platter.

Sushi is ok, but, I did not suggest it because it tends to dry out.

• Like 1

An old, old, classic: shrimp in aspic. Use bite sized molds, silicon should work just fine. The aspic itself could be flavored dozens of ways: cocktail sauce, green curry, shrimp stock/old bay/lemon, ginger soy, etc. The nice thing here is that they could be made 2 days in advance, and are simple to unmold onto a platter.

Sushi is ok, but, I did not suggest it because it tends to dry out.

Riffing off this - agar agar jellies a la Paco Torreblanca flavoured with classic cocktail sauce ingredients that have had the colour and substance removed.  I guess that would be tomato and horseradish water.  There could be pepper bits in there for interest.

Not the best picture, but the best I could find online.  Wait here's a better one, even has the shrimp in it.  

• Like 2

Okay. How about something that that starts from the paradigm of Rice Crispie treats, but with smallish shrimp instead of puffed rice?

I'm envisioning something intensely shrimpy and savoury, slightly moist, easily cut into cubes, and eatable as finger food, even if there are no plates, but only tiny paper napkin. Contrasting a crisp/firm/puffed texture and a slightly moist binder, just enough to hold together the other element, and perhaps add another layer of flavour. Avoiding a gummy/rubbery texture would be important, but I'm fairly certain this would be doable, especially with the assist of modernist ingredients. And, it would definitely not be your run-of-the-mill shrimp hors d'oeuvre, although the flavours used could be the traditional shrimp cocktail ones, essentially de- and reconstructing it.

This might even be a way to present shrimp in a way that is attractive to not only shrimp appreciators, but also the shrimp-averse, if their main issue is related to texture.

ETA It might be interesting if the phases were inverted, that is, the solid shrimp were the softer part, and the fluid binder was crunchy, although the only binder I can immediately think of that would set up crunchy is caramelized sugar, and that would not work.

Is there some sort of modernist puff pastry that could be used to get that outer crunch?  Perhaps the assembly could be cut and placed onto diamonds of flat savory flaky pastry, or into edible cups: baked tartlet shells, mini-phyllo cups, or tortilla cups, depending on the flavors used in the foam. That would make it finger food.

Riffing off this - agar agar jellies a la Paco Torreblanca flavoured with classic cocktail sauce ingredients that have had the colour and substance removed.  I guess that would be tomato and horseradish water.  There could be pepper bits in there for interest.

Not the best picture, but the best I could find online.  Wait here's a better one, even has the shrimp in it.  

I had been thinking along the lines of curry puff flavors (Kim has me going on curried shrimp), or ceviche flavors, until I looked at that second link.  That's a beautiful gel, and the ginger-citrus flavors sound excellent.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown