• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

A mercifully short night at work (we had a private party that was over early) allowed me the luxury of cooking myself a nice dinner tonight.  I cracked open a bottle of Hope Estate Hunter Valley Shiraz 2003 ($9.99) to accompany my Pleasant Ridge Reserve cheeseburger and veggies.  I'd picked this up several weeks ago, but a quick search reveals a bit of it still around, particularly in Ardmore.

Several weeks old cheeseburger Katie? Even from Ardmore seems a bit too long in the fridge :blink:

Um, not sure exactly what you're talking about, but my cheeseburger was cryovac sealed from Omaha Steaks and defrosted a couple of days ago, and the Pleasant Ridge Reserve is the cheese on top from DiBruno's. A several week old cheeseburger? Where's that pukey icon when I need it?

I picked up the WINE a few weeks ago, at either Delaware and Snyder or possibly Franklin Mills, since I went shopping at both within a few days of each other and don't remember what was bought where.

Here's to hoping you were kidding and I just didn't get it. :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Um, not sure exactly what you're talking about, but my cheeseburger was cryovac sealed from Omaha Steaks and defrosted a couple of days ago, and the Pleasant Ridge Reserve is the cheese on top from DiBruno's.  A several week old cheeseburger? Where's that pukey icon when I need it?

I picked up the WINE a few weeks ago, at either Delaware and Snyder or possibly Franklin Mills, since I went shopping at both within a few days of each other and don't remember what was bought where.

Here's to hoping you were kidding and I just didn't get it.  :unsure:

Yes I was kidding, those Omaha Steak burgers taste way better than their steaks imo.

I usually use this thread for drinking suggestions, but does anyone have recommendations for something red & relatively inexpensive (let's say <$10) for use as a marinade (think beefy)? I've been doing some braising lately and there are quite a few bottle of wine/marinate overnight kinds of recipes.

I admit that I've been using the highly respected cutest-animal-on-the-label method of selection in the past.

I usually use this thread for drinking suggestions, but does anyone have recommendations for something red & relatively inexpensive (let's say <$10) for use as a marinade (think beefy)? I've been doing some braising lately and there are quite a few bottle of wine/marinate overnight kinds of recipes.

There are a fair number of malbecs available that would fit the bill: Terrazas and San Telmo are available pretty much everywhere in the state.

All the chefs I know or have ordered for use the big jugs 'o red or white for cooking purposes unless it's something very specific like coq au vin that requires certain wine. Seriously - if you're just marinating in it or making sauce with it the big bottles of King's or Carlo Rossi work just fine. Every restaurant in town is cooking with that stuff. Trust me.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I was in the 12th and Chestnut store on Friday night and noticed that the "Chairman's" Selections have been changed to "Sommeliere's" Suggestions. Mmmm, marketing.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I think they're trying to re-brand the Chairman's Selection program since the new Chairman doesn't have the wine knowledge or connections that Mr. Newman did. Pity. This could have all been avoided. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

All the chefs I know or have ordered for use the big jugs 'o red or white for cooking purposes unless it's something very specific like coq au vin that requires certain wine.  Seriously - if you're just marinating in it or making sauce with it the big bottles of King's or Carlo Rossi work just fine.  Every restaurant in town is cooking with that stuff.  Trust me.

I use the Carlo Rossi, myself. And, if you don't need large quantities at a time, the stuff that's available in the single-serving bottles or boxes works well. Less waste if infrequently used.

I was in the 12th and Chestnut store on Friday night and noticed that the "Chairman's" Selections have been changed to "Sommeliere's" Suggestions.  Mmmm, marketing.

Not quite: the program has been split in three, according to price range. The Sommelier's Suggestions thingie is the high-end offerings, $29.99 and over. One tricky part is that the low-end offerings will (supposedly) not be showing up at the Specialty stores. Unless they revise the website, I'm not sure about how to even know those exist, let alone track them.

The items in the Sommelier's Suggestion program are listed with the Chairman Selections on the website, and so are those under $9.99/btl. But I haven't run into any of the cheaper wines that are not available at Specialty stores. Anyone?

Understandable, really, reading this thread of late. Not a whole lotta love.

So ignoring us is a better option? Howzabout trying to change our minds?

Just sayin'...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Deidre Costello, are you out there???

I think the PLCB has decided, corporately speaking, to no longer speak to us.

Understandable, really, reading this thread of late. Not a whole lotta love.

I can't imagine someone telling Deidre or any other PALCB staffer not to offer comments or post useful information on this or any other board irrespective of the tone of some of the posters, myself included. I always found her posts particualry insightful and would welcome further posts if she's still out there.

A very good bargain and a Specialty Selection wine is FETISH THE WATCHER SHIRAZ 04. At $10 it is about half price of other on-line sellers. Four of us enjoyed a bottle on Friday along with braised beef. I was a little surprised everyone preferred it to the 1999 Hanna cab we also served. Yesterday, I bought a case as one of my summertime "house wines."

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 5 of the Laguiole Faux Wood Corkscrews at the Doylestown W&S store today. They were on clearance for $19.99. I checked the price online and WE had them listed for $49.95...so I think it's a good deal, and they'll make great gifts. It comes in a beechwood box with a leather case that has the "BEE" branded on the front.

I also picked up some more of the Kim Crawford Reisling that's on sale for $9.99.

I don't know much about Reisling's but I do no know that I liked this one since it was dry and not at all sweet like some of the others that I've tried.

Cool. I like the idea of being able to separate red from white and spirits from wine. It's a definite improvement.

Hopefully fancier software and search capabilities won't be the only improvements.

edited to add:

I stand corrected. The search mechanism isn't working. You can only see the list sorted by name, as it was previously. Any other attempts to sort or filter gives you a "Currently Unavailable. Please try again later" message. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Change of pace from the wine discussion, but the $6 off Hendricks gin this month is a bargain. It really stands apart from all other gins I've tried. In a good way. Don't know why the steep discount. It's a bit unusual compared to the typical PLCB specials.

Change of pace from the wine discussion, but the $6 off Hendricks gin this month is a bargain. It really stands apart from all other gins I've tried. In a good way. Don't know why the steep discount. It's a bit unusual compared to the typical PLCB specials.

Thanks for the heads up! Hedricks is absolutely fantastic stuff.

Thanks for the update on Hendrick's. It's a fabulous gin. Unfortunately, I feel like gin has taken a dip in popularity over the years in deference to vodka. The vodka companies have done an incredible job marketing a spirit that, in its best incarnation, approximates the taste of water and therefore is more broadly-appealing to American consumers. Fortunately that means there's more of the good juniper stuff behind the bar and we can leave the Goose and tonics to the Tag Body Shot crowd in Olde City.

agreed, alcibiades. in addition, i feel like a lot of the latest gins have veered too far toward the citrus and away from the really herbal, juniper-y aromas.

cf. bluecoat, which tastes good, and i love the concept of gin being distilled here in town, but it doesn't taste enough like GIN for me. a gin & tonic doesn't need a lime squeezed into it, when i make it with that.

that's why i always keep a bottle of seagrams or gilbey's around for mixed drinks. or gordon's. or even brokers if i'm feeling four bucks fancier. they just taste like gin to me.

agreed, alcibiades.  in addition, i feel like a lot of the latest gins have veered too far toward the citrus and away from the really herbal, juniper-y aromas.

cf. bluecoat, which tastes good, and i love the concept of gin being distilled here in town, but it doesn't taste enough like GIN for me.  a gin & tonic doesn't need a lime squeezed into it, when i make it with that.

Or Tanqueray No. 10... can't really drink that stuff.