• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I didn"t give up wine like the rest of you must have for new years.

TN: "02 Achaval-Ferrer Quimera

Almost an equal split of Malbec, Cab, and Merlot this is all dark fruits with some spice and flowers. Much better the second night as I didn't decant it, and its already throwing some sediment in the glass. For $18 this is a great wine.

The bad news is that we didn't get very much. Collegeville got one case and I got the last bottle. So, if you didn't see it, its probably gone.

Best,

Mike

Almost an equal split of Malbec, Cab, and Merlot this is all dark fruits with some spice and flowers. Much better the second night as I didn't decant it, and its already throwing some sediment in the glass. For $18 this is a great wine.

The bad news is that we didn't get very much. Collegeville got one case and I got the last bottle. So, if you didn't see it, its probably gone.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike:

This thread has been inactive for a while, you're right!

Not sure I understand your comment...it was better because you didn't decant??

Jeff,

It needs a long decant. Much better after half of it sat til the next night. The plcb description says med to full body, but it became very full bodied after an overnight on the kitchen counter. This wine needed food to really show its best. It was great with bread, cheese, olives, and roasted peppers. To bad there's none left.

Best,

Mike

I bought bottles of both the 2002 and 2003 Ridge Lytton Springs zindandel that the Ardmore store is promoting. I found the 2002 to either be an off bottle or it has an unusual, possibly medicinal, bouquet. The 2003 was much more typical for the Lytton Springs but not great. I decided not to stock up on either although the prices are pretty reasonable.

Neil

I bought bottles of both the 2002 and 2003 Ridge Lytton Springs zindandel that the Ardmore store is promoting.  I found the 2002 to either be an off bottle or it has an unusual, possibly medicinal, bouquet.  The 2003 was much more typical for the Lytton Springs but not great.  I decided not to stock up on either although the prices are pretty reasonable.

Neil

Hi Neil!

welcome.gif

I hope you have more valuable wine insights for us in the future!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I bought bottles of both the 2002 and 2003 Ridge Lytton Springs zindandel that the Ardmore store is promoting.  I found the 2002 to either be an off bottle or it has an unusual, possibly medicinal, bouquet.  The 2003 was much more typical for the Lytton Springs but not great.  I decided not to stock up on either although the prices are pretty reasonable.

Neil

I'm with Katie: thanks for the insight, Neil! I prob. would have stocked up myself on the Ridge zin had I run across a good deal at the PLCB, so this is useful knowledge!

Unrelated to the PLCB, but related to this post: I bought half a case of Michael and David's Seven Deadly Zins the other day on a whim (I absolutely love M&D's Earthquake Zin, but can't find it around this area so blindly went with the 7 instead) and was not happy with it for the same off-medicinal quality. Fortunately, the store I bought it in does a good trade and was willing to take the five remaining bottles back. So thanks for saving me the headache on this one!

Good instincts Neil!!

When big boys like Ridge show up discounted it pays to be well read and make sure you like the taste.

The reason these "labels" show up in different stores is that the wine was probably not strong enough to sell out in the wine stores and restaurants. The trade is well aware when a $50 bottle of wine that tastes like a $15 bottle and sometimes the consumer will remember the name and not be quite so informed about the vintage.

My personal "find" of the week - Three Rings Shiraz 2004, versatile and reasonable for under $25. Should hold well and will please many different palates with a big Australian fruit bomb taste.

I constantly find value and huge flavor from the aussie factor.

Anyone else with recomendations under $25?:cool:

Saint Paul, the Apostle " Drink no longer Water but use a little Wine for thy Stomach's sake and thine often Infirmities..."

Anyone else with recomendations under $25?:cool:

Byron:

Haven't hit the PLCB in a few weeks so don't know if its available there, but get your hands on Thorn-Clark's Shotfire Ridge if you can (chances are you are well aware of Shotfire Ridge already, though, due to the WS top 100). I know the MD/DE shops recently received 2004 vintage allocations ($17 was the cheapest I found it), so I'd be surprised if PA didn't as well. Great bang for the buck with this one, especially if you like new world shiraz.

Edited by jwjon1 (log)

Of the current Chairman's Selections I'd go find:

Louis Latour Montagny la Grande Roche 2002 - $12.99

Byron Io Syrah Ryan Road Vyd 2002 - $19.99

Byron Io Syrah Upper Bench 2002 - $19.99

Henschke Henry's Seven 2003 - $25.89

Henschke Keyneton Estate 2002 - $35.89

These are all solid producers that have never disappointed me. Some of these are a pretty screamin' bargain too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

To MY TASTE, The Vasse Felix 01 Cabernet is a good wine, not the strength of the 02 or 03 vintage, but reasonable.

Your pice range would include one of my favorite shiraz producers, Hazyblur Cabernet 2002 a blockbuster!!! Another possibly less expensive, but great drinking Aussie Cabernet would be the Marquis Philips S2 for 2001-2002, the 2003 have just been released.

Compare these to some California Cabernets at twice the price.

Happy hunting and tasting

:laugh:

Of the current Chairman's Selections I'd go find:

Louis Latour Montagny la Grande Roche 2002  - $12.99

Byron Io Syrah Ryan Road Vyd 2002  - $19.99

Byron Io Syrah Upper Bench 2002  - $19.99

Henschke Henry's Seven 2003 - $25.89

Henschke Keyneton Estate 2002 - $35.89

These are all solid producers that have never disappointed me.  Some of these are a pretty screamin' bargain too.

The Henschke selections are OUTSTANDING!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

We dubbed this wine "The Big Roach" the other day at SK. (Can you tell it wasn't our first bottle of the night?) A few more swigs and were devising advertising campaigns with the slogan "Eat the Bug!"

We were really getting somewhere until some stickler pointed out that it actually means "the Big Rock." What fun is that?!?

Anyway, it was really quite nice in the elegant LaTour white Burgundy kind of way...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

We dubbed this wine "The Big Roach" the other day at SK. (Can you tell it wasn't our first bottle of the night?) A few more swigs and were devising advertising campaigns with the slogan "Eat the Bug!"

We were really getting somewhere until some stickler pointed out that it actually means "the Big Rock." What fun is that?!?

Anyway, it was really quite nice in the elegant LaTour white Burgundy kind of way...

i drank a bottle of this one recently too, and agree with the above. a solid performer in every way.

Oy! Closer to the last bottle of the night, eh boys? rolleyes3.gif

Is that any way to treat our hard working, tractor driving French friends? :raz:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

To MY TASTE, The Vasse Felix 01 Cabernet is a good wine, not the strength of the 02 or 03 vintage, but reasonable.

Your pice range would include one of my favorite shiraz producers, Hazyblur Cabernet 2002 a blockbuster!!!  Another possibly less expensive, but great drinking Aussie Cabernet would be the Marquis Philips S2 for 2001-2002, the 2003 have just been released.

Are these available in PA?

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Your pice range would include one of my favorite shiraz producers, Hazyblur Cabernet 2002 a blockbuster!!!  Another possibly less expensive, but great drinking Aussie Cabernet would be the Marquis Philips S2 for 2001-2002, the 2003 have just been released.

Are these available in PA?

I'm in Florida but will be happy to share! :cool:

Has anyone tried the 2000 Abadia Retuerta? I picked up a couple in Ardmore yesterday. Thought that I was buying a promising week-day drinker until I logged them in Cellar Tracker. The community opinion there is that this is a fine bargain @ $20+ (and only $13 now in PA), but will require several years in the cellar.

I know - at $13 I should pop one and post notes, but I'm hoping to ride someone else's coat tails...

ps - love this thread!

Kevin

Has anyone tried the 2000 Abadia Retuerta?  I picked up a couple in Ardmore yesterday.  Thought that I was buying a promising week-day drinker until I logged them in Cellar Tracker.  The community opinion there is that this is a fine bargain @ $20+ (and only $13 now in PA), but will require several years in the cellar.

I know - at $13 I should pop one and post notes, but I'm hoping to ride someone else's coat tails...

ps - love this thread!

Kevin

wavey.gif

Hi Kevin! Welcome to eGullet and the PA forum! As mrbigjas stated, please let us know your thoughts on the wines you've tried as well as your favorite places to eat.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike:

Having moved away from the region recently, I've just come to realize what amazing deals you can get from the PLCB. Just paid $29.99 for the '03 at Costco here in the Bay area... :sad:

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike:

Having moved away from the region recently, I've just come to realize what amazing deals you can get from the PLCB. Just paid $29.99 for the '03 at Costco here in the Bay area... :sad:

Wow. Really? At the Costco no less? That is a pretty amazing savings we're getting then.

I suspect the Chairman purchased the last of the '02 vintage to make room for the '03 vintage. He's a wily shopper, he is. I can hardly wait to see what comes of his latest January shopping trip out west.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Oy! Closer to the last bottle of the night, eh boys? rolleyes3.gif

Is that any way to treat our hard working, tractor driving French friends? :raz:

And in fact, I finally tasted this lovely wine with my roasted chicken dinner this evening. The Big Roach indeed. Humbug! I can't believe you all were ever making fun of this. snob.gif Premier Cru for $12.99?!? Are you daft? It's delicious wine at a ridiculous price. And I intend to go find more of it before it disappears.

This wine is textbook white burgundy. Gorgeous and fruity with a nice mineral backbone. No big oakiness or malolactic nonsense meant to cover up bad fruit or flawed winemaking. Just really pretty fruity Chardonnay on the nose, in the glass and on my palate. Smells like chardonnay. Tastes like chardonnay. Doesn't get any more straightforward than that.

[Oliver]Please Mr. Chairman, may we have some more?[/Oliver] :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

FYI, there's at least a case or two of la Grande Roche 2002 on display at the KOP shoppe (at Desi Village/Peace a Pizza/Steakhouse joint where the salads always make me feel...well, anyway.... :unsure: )

This store is pretty large and seems to get a large allocation of the "reserves."