• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

Host's note: this topic was broken into multiple parts due to its large size; the topic began here: Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1).

I just joined this forum after a quick google search of the PLCB's Futuro Super Tuscan led me to Chairman Newman's reply on this thread. I knew I found a home after reading through the entire thread!

Thanks for putting this valuable thread together, Katie... I'm excited to hear critiques from those more knowledgable in wine than myself about the offerings available through the Chairman's Select program. Now I can't wait until the Dec. offerings to be released so I can put your collective knowledge to work!

BTW, I'm living proof of the success of the Chairman's program: a resident of Delaware, I actually go out of my way to purchase wine in PA... and love every minute of it! What a wonderful program!

Edited by Smithy (log)

Welcome jwjon1! We're delighted to have you!

You really are living proof of a good thing. Now the infamous "border bleed" is going the other way! Amazing! And considering that you could purchase your wine tax free in Delaware that is saying quite a lot.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Let us know if you make your way up I-95.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Don't know if any of you have tried the Byron Nielson Vineyard chard in the current Chairman Selection but it is outstanding. This from someone who generally buys white wine for his other half as I did last night. Since I made some rock cornish game hens, I thought I'd try some of it too.

It's really a great wine, lots of oak and a lovely mellow finish. Kind of velvety if you know what I mean.

To Sockii: Go get your mom a case of this because at $9.99 it won't last long!

Teruzzi and Puthod Terre di Tufi 2003. Currently on sale at the absurd price of $12.99. Enjoyed this with my dinner at Mandoline last night (review HERE) and it was spectacular. I actually had picked up several bottles of this last weekend at 12th & Chestnut on Corey's recommendation. I grabbed one a couple of nights ago out the case without looking, thinking it was a red. I recorked it right away and put it back in the fridge. Wasn't what I wanted with my steak, however it was the perfect thing to go with my dinner at Mandoline.

This wine has been a "cult wine" since 1984 when it first came out. It's described as a white Super Tuscan and it definitely doesn't disappoint. This year's blend is mostly Vernaccia (80%) with Chardonnay (7%), Malvasia(7%) and Vermentino (6%) which undergoes sur lie aging and fermentation in French barriques for 4-5 months. End result is a full bodied white with lots of aroma and texture. Luscious is a word I'd use to describe this. Lots of fruity flavors both in the nose and on the palate as well as a nice vanilla edge and smoothness from the time in barrel and the aging sur lie. Delicious white even for those that are normally not fans of white wine. This might be another one for those of you purchasing for moms and significant others that don't share your tastes. This could be one that you'll both like.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Teruzzi and Puthod Terre di Tufi 2003.  Currently on sale at the absurd price of $12.99.  Enjoyed this with my dinner at Mandoline last night (review HERE) and it was spectacular.  I actually had picked up several bottles of this last weekend at 12th & Chestnut on Corey's recommendation.  I grabbed one a couple of nights ago out the case without looking, thinking it was a red.  I recorked it right away and put it back in the fridge.  Wasn't what I wanted with my steak, however it was the perfect thing to go with my dinner at Mandoline.

This wine has been a "cult wine" since 1984 when it first came out.  It's described as a white Super Tuscan and it definitely doesn't disappoint.  This year's blend is mostly Vernaccia (80%) with Chardonnay (7%), Malvasia(7%) and Vermentino (6%) which undergoes sur lie aging and fermentation in French barriques for 4-5 months.  End result is a full bodied white with lots of aroma and texture.  Luscious is a word I'd use to describe this.  Lots of fruity flavors both in the nose and on the palate as well as a nice vanilla edge and smoothness from the time in barrel and the aging sur lie.  Delicious white even for those that are normally not fans of white wine.  This might be another one for those of you purchasing for moms and significant others that don't share your tastes.  This could be one that you'll both like.

You know Katie, before I accidentally discovered e-gullet and started reading this thread, I had a lot more disposable income. Actually, I'm just toying with the idea of blaming you for being broke each time I leave the Newtown store! It looks like I will make my 3rd trip to Newtown this week and try this Super Tuscan white. I was unaware that whites were also referred of as Super Tuscans. Reminds me of a bet I had with a friend who swore there was no such thing as white port. I won that bet of course.

I will say broke but really happy in the way that discovering amazing wines, both red and white can make you.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff!  :biggrin: You can bet I'll be stocking up at THAT price (even lower than it was before!) I think we still have at least half a case on hand but for $9.99, I know some friends who will enjoy a bottle or two for the holidays...

I was unaware that this wine was a previous chairman selection. What was the price point before?

I remember Byron as being one of my favorite (at the time) boutique wines from Santa Barbara. I have good friends who live out there and they sent me a few bottles of their first vintage chard a lot of years ago. I remember the bottle had a cool geometric design to it. It was amazing. No one carried it out here to my knowledge. I'd forgotten just how good it was until recently. Wow, what a great wine

Jeff

You know Katie, before I accidentally discovered e-gullet and started reading this thread, I had a lot more disposable income. Actually, I'm just toying with the idea of blaming you for being broke each time I leave the Newtown store! It looks like I will make my 3rd trip to Newtown this week and try this Super Tuscan white. I was unaware that whites were also referred of as Super Tuscans. Reminds me of a bet I had with a friend who swore there was no such thing as white port. I won that bet of course.

I will say broke but really happy in the way that discovering amazing wines, both red and white can make you.

:unsure: Who? Me?? Not my fault! :biggrin:

Actually I think the wine press calls this a Super Tuscan white. Basically that's any big tuscan wine that isn't following the DOC rules and is blending grapes together or using barrels or vinification techniques that aren't strictly by the book.

I think you're going to like this. You can hate me now and thank me later. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip, Jeff!  :biggrin: You can bet I'll be stocking up at THAT price (even lower than it was before!) I think we still have at least half a case on hand but for $9.99, I know some friends who will enjoy a bottle or two for the holidays...

I was unaware that this wine was a previous chairman selection. What was the price point before?

I remember Byron as being one of my favorite (at the time) boutique wines from Santa Barbara. I have good friends who live out there and they sent me a few bottles of their first vintage chard a lot of years ago. I remember the bottle had a cool geometric design to it. It was amazing. No one carried it out here to my knowledge. I'd forgotten just how good it was until recently. Wow, what a great wine

Jeff

If I remember correctly, it was $12.99 before. That's when I got my first stash, and why I'm surprised it's now $3 less. At $9.99 it's an absolute steal given the rich flavor of this white.

My mother has been a Bryon fan for a number of years as well--that's why we jumped on this one when it was first offered as a Chairman's Selection. These days I'm pretty selective on Califronia Chardonnay, but this is one I always try to keep one chilled bottle of on-hand.

Edited by sockii (log)

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Tonight's find:

Ruffino Modus 2000. Current Chairman's Selection. $22.99. 90 points from both the Wine Spectator and the Wine Advocate.

This was another spot on suggestion from Corey at the 12th & Chestnut store. A silky and delicious Super Tuscan - predominantly Sangiovese with Cabernet and Merlot. I love this sort of "Italian Bordeaux" blend. Very dark and smooth. Lots of black fruit flavors like blackberry, black cherry and black currant with a nice toasty flavor and a bit of spice from the new oak. Long lingering finish. Worth snagging several and laying a few down to see how it develops. Delicious now but with impressive potential.

I must go buy a couple more of these before they all disappear. Not inexpensive compared to other Chairman's Selections, but a bargain for the quality. If anyone needs to gift someone they need to impress with a bottle of wine this holiday season, then look no further. I can't imagine anyone not sensing how great this wine really is.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I can’t believe that a month has gone by since my last post…Tis the Season I guess! I remember when I worked in our retail stores that the week before Thanksgiving to New Years Eve was so busy that you barely had a chance to catch your breath…and I thought I left that behind. :laugh:

Glad to see the Chairman had a chance to stop in and post in my absence!

Just thought that I would pipe in about three Chairman Selections I had Sunday evening.

Toasted Head Chardonnay RRV $11 Pear and apple on the nose and are carried through to the palate then it grows into a big round lush chard. The finish is outstanding…

The Byron Nielson Chardonnay $10 Tropical fruits and oak on the nose, round tropical flavors on the palate good finish

I was really impressed with the Lake Sonoma Zinfandel Dry Creek $13 worth getting a few more bottles, red raspberry fruit on the nose on the palate the red fruit flavors come through with Nibs red licorice flavor, the fruit to acids are well balanced, the tannins silky.

-Deidre

PS…For all my Delco friends just in time for Christmas, Media is set to open next Sunday the Dec. 18th with parking! Since I haven’t had a specialty store near me I do most of my purchases on-line especially with the free shipping offer…now I already planned out my Sunday shopping schedule, stop for wine, hit Trader Joes, finish up with the regular grocery store…I can bet the family will be wondering where the heck I am all day.

Oh and one more thing, the updated ETA information on the Inniskillen Riesling icewine is that it should be in the week of Dec. 21st. It is very limited only 200 cases were ordered.

Edited by Deidre Costello (log)

Cracked open a bottle of Travis Unfiltered Riverview Vineyard Chardonnay 2003 a couple of nights ago to have with Cajun style shrimp cakes purchased at the Smack-me grocery. Really interesting wine. I had a couple of short glasses and left the rest recorked in the fridge overnight. It was even better on the second visit. Initially, I had sensed an overwhelming bouquet of what seemed "oaky" but having read the label, I realized this wine saw no wood whatsover. The clean fruity flavors and toastiness was far more evident on the revisitation and this wine is really a fine expample of what good fruit (harvested at less than two tons per acre) and no wood and no induced malolactic frementation can yield. This is utterly unmanipulated-by-human-hands Chardonnay at its very best. Nice acidity to compliment the fruity flavors. This wine is a little cloudy (unfiltered will do that) and very flavorful. Really shows you what Chardonnay, and not barrels tastes like. It will undoubtedly be a revelation for many folks that thought that splintered wood/melted butter taste is what Chardonnay tastes like. This is much more French in style than Californian, except for that New World in-your-face tropical fruitiness. Really tasty wine.

A steal at $12.99 if you can still find some. Seems that 12th & Chestnut and 19th & Chestnut still have some around.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hoping to find the Inniskillen Riesling Niagara Peninsula, Ice Wine 2002 that shows in the upcoming Chairman's Selection list for Christmas gift. Code # is 10016. A search of that comes up with zilch. Anyone spotted this yet? The eyes of the guys at my local store seem to glaze over when I ask these questions. I do know they have no idea what they will receive till it shows up.

For all the Philadelphia area store conspiracy theorists I note that this IS now showing as in stock in several Philadelphia area stores but NOT anywere else in the state.

I still hope to get some in time for a Christmas gift.

Hoping to find the Inniskillen Riesling Niagara Peninsula, Ice Wine 2002 that shows in the upcoming Chairman's Selection list for Christmas gift. Code # is 10016. A search of that comes up with zilch. Anyone spotted this yet? The eyes of the guys at my local store seem to glaze over when I ask these questions. I do know they have no idea what they will receive till it shows up.

For all the Philadelphia area store conspiracy theorists I note that this IS now showing as in stock in several Philadelphia area stores but NOT anywere else in the state.

I would be aggressive about it if I were you: there are only supposed to be a few dozen cases of this *total*.

I ordered two bottles from the web site and it has been shipped to my local store. I will be able to gift it after all. Thanks to Deidre for the heads up that it was available on the web site.

Here’s a surprise, I had a few Chairman’s Selections over the Holiday weekend. I didn’t write notes so these are from memory.

I loved the Byron Syrah Upper Bench 2002 deep purple color, rich full-bodied good fruit, long finish…very good!

Enjoyed the Lake Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon ’01 (Although I think I liked the Lake Sonoma Zinfandel better) Good fruit easy to drink medium finish.

Rizzi Barbaresco ’00 Purchased this around Thanksgiving (looks like it’s still available) Nice red. Red cherry fruit / nice balance not too heavy I was going to say a nice afternoon red but didn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.

The Henri Abele non-vintage I might have to buy some more this had a good toasty and apple flavors crisp nice finish.

By the way if anyone is interested the free shipping ends Dec.31st for pawineandspirits.com

To all my e-gullet friends a very happy and prosperous NEW YEAR shared with good wine and good friends!

-Deidre

I bought a magnum of the Burgess Cab 1993 library release to serve at a New Year's party that I had. It was excellent, at its peak and had aged very nicely. Very smooth, fully integrated and just a little bit of orange on the rim. The bottle didn't last long!!! I guess its a good thing that I bought a few bottles of the Roderer Estate NV sparkling (on sale but not Chairman's Selection) as well...

Since we didn't get to the Latour Chassagne Montrachet on New Years Eve (too many other wines and champagne first!) I tried some tonight with fresh tuna and pineapple/cilantro relish. Wow, it's really great. I really enjoyed it, although maybe not the perfect pairing for the tuna. I am just going to force myself to have a glass all by itself.

As a footnote, I brought a few bottles of the Buller Muscat for dessert on New Years Eve. It was wildly received by our friends and the chef at Augusto's in Warminster! Thanks to the mystery person at the RX Chairman's dinnerwho kindly supplied this beautiful dessert wine.

being FARRR too lazy to read through all the posts, i need to restock my wine collection. not having much room, i can do about 6-7 bottles. i was thinking 4 reds, 2 whites and 1 alternative (rose, muscat, port, etc.). i'll be happy to do more than one bottle of something if you feel it's really impressive.

i like big, bold reds and dry, but fruity whites. i'm particularly fond of unfiltered reds.

any suggestions i can bring along to the state store are appreciated!

thanks!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

being FARRR too lazy to read through all the posts, i need to restock my wine collection.  not having much room, i can do about 6-7 bottles.  i was thinking 4 reds, 2 whites and 1 alternative (rose, muscat, port, etc.).  i'll be happy to do more than one bottle of something if you feel it's really impressive.

i like big, bold reds and dry, but fruity whites.  i'm particularly fond of unfiltered reds.

any suggestions i can bring along to the state store are appreciated!

thanks!

Look in the Chairman's Selections for items from Spain, and some of the big bargains from California. There's a selection of different Syrahs (Foxen, Arrowood, and a couple of Byron Io) that should meet your requirement for big bold reds. Whites are more subjective I find, because of the ever present danger of overoaked-ness and how much one likes or dislikes that. But there's some value priced stuff out there right now so you should be able to test drive several different bottles without lightening your wallet too much.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

But there's some value priced stuff out there right now so you should be able to test drive several different bottles without lightening your wallet too much.

money is not as much of an issue as space. my one bedroom apt got crowded now that the man has moved in. i can fit about 7 bottles in the space i have alloted.

i shall check out the spanish stuff. thanks!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

TN: '99 Red Willow Vineyard Penninsula The Pride

Blend of Cab, Merlot, and Cab Franc this needs several hours in the decanter before it really starts to show itself. Once it starts to open up it is closer to Bourdeaux than it is to the Napa Valley. My wife likes it alot so you know its got to be pretty good.

Belated Happy New Year to all the board.

Best,

Mike

PS: I bought some of the Coldisole Brunello that just came in, I'll post as soon as we try it.