• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

The Montes Purple Angel is in for all you Carménère lovers. Secret code is 28711. I can't find it on the web for less than $50.00 and that's not including shipping.

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

This is one of the current Chairmans Selection:

Bodegas Olivares Monastrell 2006

PLCB Price: $11.99

*Quoted Price: $9.00 to $13.00

I'm sorry but wasn't the whole idea behind the Chairmans Selection Program about leveraging the state's huge buying power to bring deep discounts and introduce wines at price points that would entice first time buyers and please wine lovers in PA?

The Montes Purple Angel is in for all you Carménère lovers. Secret code is 28711. I can't find it on the web for less than $50.00 and that's not including shipping.

PLCB Code for the MPA is actually 28771. 28711 is the Kaiken Malbec, also a decent buy if you like Malbec. Me, not a whole lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the new Ultra yet? The regular was very good when it was round a year or 2 ago.

I opened up a 10 year old Bruneelo last night and had it with a steak from the grill. I't's one of those wines that I was keeping for a special occasion. However, I'm glad I had it last night since the wine was about 1/4" from the top of the cork. Not sure if it would have spoiled in a few months or not. But just the same, I'm glad that I didn't wait any longer. The wine was excellent and the color was not nearly as brown as some of the NAPA wines that I've had that weren't as old as this one. Still had some nice tannins and a great nose. I have 2 more 99's left that I think I'll also enjoy this summer....unless someone thinks they'll be even better if I let them go longer that 10 years.

On another note, the Flourtown store was loaded with a lot of new wines to try so I picked up several, in particular the Green Point Shiraz for $10 could be a great buy if it's as good as they say.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've tried several of the new selections and they've all been very good.

Especially the Green Point Shiraz and the un-oaked Chardonay, Clos Lachance Glittering Throated Emerald. I picked up 2 Sicilian wines to try and the Pascual Toso Cabernet Sauvignon from Argentina.

http://www.stylegourmet.com/wine/tas00036.htm

Has anyone else had anything especially good recently?

Edited by Dennis (log)

My "house pour" this week has been a bottle of that Clos la Chance Glittering Throated Emerald Unoaked Chardonnay, and I must say that I've been enjoying it immensely. It was a bargain at $7.99. I've just been having a glass of it when I get in from work, to wind down, but I imagine it would be really delicious paired with a good meal. It has a lot of those New-World tropical type flavors you don't really see in French chardonnay. Long finish too, despite the lack of oak. I would love this with some richer seafood like scallops or monkfish with a sweeter sauce on it. I originally bought it to drink alongside our Porturuvian rotisseried chicken feast, but they wouldn't allow us to pay corkage, so it came home. It would undoubtedly be a great accompaniment to that as well. I found my bottle at the Society Hill shop on 5th Street. I might have to go back and look for more!

edited to add:

I stand corrected. Having found the receipt, it's actually $7.99/bottle. I've fixed the post to reflect the correct price.

The other bottle I bought on the same buying excursion is the Nederburg "Lyric" 2006 from South Africa. A lovely blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay. The slightly sweet residual flavor was the perfect match for barbeque at Sweet Lucy's. Would've been good with more spicy fare as well. Same silly bargain price of $7.99.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Has anyone else had anything especially good recently?

PAWineTalk has a ratings section where a number of folks have rated current Chairman's Selections, Power Purchases, etc. At the top:

Cims de Porrera Solanes # 25958

Vall Llach Embruix Priorat # 26255

Parson's Flat Shiraz-Cab # 27526

Les Verrières Clos des Soutyères # 19071

Gloria Ferrer Royal Cuvee # 29274

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite (used to be low cost) Chinati hit the stores last week and is flying out the doors.

That would be the Renzo Masi Riserva that we only get once a year. It's the 2005 vintage. Price is up from 9.99 to $11.99 this year. I bought a case but haven't had time to try it yet. As soon as I do I'll let you know what I think.

Edited by Dennis (log)

The Online Store is currently running an insane sale of Sommelier Collection wines: it's advertised as "up to 70% off", but several of the wines I picked up were discounted close to 80%. The Mas L'Abundancia Monsant, for instance, is now $12.99; the Latour Batard Montrachet '00 is $50; a Jaboulet Hermitage is $25; u.s.w.

Several wines disappeared from the listings before I got around to ordering, so you may want to hurry.

(Edited to add)

And shipping is free on orders over $200.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

I just picked up a 2 pack of 2003 Whitehall Lane Napa Cabernet and Cab Reserve at the Newtown store on clearance for $69.00 which is a discount of 50%.

They have lots left, at least they did around noon today. I've read a lot about this wine and am particularly looking forward to trying the reserve.

It's now $49.99. w/ today's sale. And I think all orders have free shipping not just over $200 at least that's what my e-mail said; 'tho the web says >$200

Edited by Misha (log)

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

I got to the table late but was still able to pick up a pack of the Whitehall Lane Cabs and a Montes Alpha "Folly" Syrah. It was free shipping on all orders regardless of price.

I was at Total Wine & Liquor on Tuesday and was not that impressed with the prices. I noticed that many of our sale prices are compatible with theirs. I saw the Wild Turkey Rye there for $25.00 which we had here on clearnace for $14.99 and that made me feel pretty good about the 2 cases that I bought.

I aslo picked up another case of the Renzo Masi Reserva at the Flourtown store which still had about 10 cases left. I had a bottle with dinner on Thursday and it's very good.

I just picked up a 2 pack of 2003 Whitehall Lane Napa Cabernet and Cab Reserve at the Newtown store on clearance for $69.00 which is a discount of 50%.

They have lots left, at least they did around noon today. I've read a lot about this wine and am particularly looking forward to trying the reserve.

It's now $49.99. w/ today's sale. And I think all orders have free shipping not just over $200 at least that's what my e-mail said; 'tho the web says >$200

Thanks, I guess it's like buying stock, you never know when it's on its low. In any event, this is a banging wine even at $69

Edited by Jeff L (log)

By the way, October's Wine Spectator rates the 2005 Renzo Masi 86 points and James Suckling listed it as one of the recommended Value Buys. I already have 3 cases now, and will probably pick up one more if it's still available. Considering how much I market this wine you might think I own stock in it....I don't, I just like to share a good deal when I find one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm searching for the "silver lining" during this economic storm, and I'm hoping it will be lower costs for premium wines (easier to drown your sorrows).

Does anyone have a feel for what might happen to the domestic & international wine markets?

Dennis-

Thanks so much for keeping this thread alive. So much interest has dissipated since Newman was deposed by who we've got there now and the seriousness of the PLCB took a dive. I don't know of any current bargains, but should I run across something, I'll certainly let you know.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'm searching for the "silver lining" during this economic storm, and I'm hoping it will be lower costs for premium wines (easier to drown your sorrows).

Does anyone have a feel for what might happen to the domestic & international wine markets?

The Euro is losing strength against the dollar, but I don't know if prices will drop with the same alacrity with which they rose... :rolleyes:

Something to hope for/look forward to though.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Euro is losing strength against the dollar, but I don't know if prices will drop with the same alacrity with which they rose... :rolleyes:

Something to hope for/look forward to though.

If sales go the way I think they might, prices might well plunge right along. Certainly, I've been getting a lot of "Huge Sale!!!!!" e-mails from online retailers.

Along with the recent PaWineAndSpirits online firesale, that's meant that I've been buying wines I wouldn't have been able to touch a few months ago.

And now, the '05 Bordeaux...

i believe most large (probably small importers too) buy euros long in advance of their wine purchases. so, i wouldn't expect to see imported wine prices coming down for sometime.

i believe most large (probably small importers too) buy euros long in advance of their wine purchases. so, i wouldn't expect to see imported wine prices coming down for sometime.

If sales are bad enough, retailers are going to start having excess inventory, and feeling the resulting cash-flow crunch. So while wholesale prices might be somewhat inflexible, I expect that retailers would be forced to cut their margins to move product and improve liquidity.

Of course, that comes from someone who is relatively ignorant of the specifics of the wine business, so those assumptions may well be faulty.

• 2 weeks later...

I waited on a group of people who work for the PLCB recently, and talk about lacking in seriousness. The whole time I kept thinking, who are these clowns and why are they choosing which wines to buy for our state?!

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

A few weeks back the upcoming selections listed a Chalk Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 for $12.99. It was due to arrive in the stores late October. I just checked back and it's disappeared from the Radar Screen. I haven't seen any in the stores that I frequent. It's not listed in upcoming or currently in the stores? Does anyone have a clue as to what happened to this Chairman Select? I know CH is noted for Chardonay but this had a decent rating on-line & I was looking forward to trying some.

If it wasn't for the fact that I cut and pasted the description (vineyard, grape, & year) to my browser to google it, I wouldn't have been sure. So yes, I'm sure. I think I'll send the LCB an email and ask what happened?

I opened my last bottle of Quorum 2000, the other night and was disappointed to discover that it tasted more like vinegar than wine. There was nothing suspicious about the cork & the color was still a rich red, but the wine was definitely bad. It seems to me that this type of wine (Barbera D'Asti)is not beyond its time by any means. I've kept it in my wine fridge since picking it up at the state store about 3 years ago. I still have 3 of the 2001 Brunello's that were on sale around the same time and now I'm thinking that I should drink them over the Holidays instead of letting them age any longer.