• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

Dennis:

Garnacha runs the gamut from lightweight Strawberry Jolly Rancher to big fat ballsy Priorat. Every bottle is different, but a bigger bodied one would certainly be tasty with a different preparation of red meat (like a stew or pot roast) if not with a simple grilled steak. Garnacha grapes grow very well in hot dry places, ripen with high sugar levels and have thinner skins, so the end result is often a high alcohol wine that's quite fruity, doesn't have a deep color and is not very tannic. Garnacha is often blended with Tempranillo in Spain, and not bottled as a 100% varietal, so that would influence the flavor profile of a bottling as well.

Let us know what you thought of this particular one.

On a separate note, I stopped by the Delaware and Snyder Avenue store today and the place is practically devoid of wines. No Chairman's Selections to speak of and few boxes of other wines on the floor, just the wine racks. I inquired with one of the clerks and he said that the store is getting rid of the liter bottles of spirits to make space for more wines later. Should be about 3-4 weeks for the changeover, and more Chairman's Selections will arrive simultaneously to plump up the currently anemic inventory. The moving of the liter bottles to the Licensee only warehouse store at 23rd and Washington is good news for the restaurants that usually send their SLO purchases to that store anyway, so now restaurants can pick up both their listed order items as well as their SLO's in one place. Sucks for the regular retail customers that will have to travel to Franklin Mills Outlet store to get the spirits bargains in liter bottles. I suggest if anyone is planning a party to check the website first to see if liters of the spirits they're stocking their bar with are available at the Franklin Mills store before making the drive all the way there. The liters are a really good bargain, however, since you get a third more liquor in the bottle for usually about $2 more over the cost of the 750ml size. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Ardmore store is rapidly running out of Chairman's selections. I looked on the website for upcoming selections and there are only 12 red wines listed. It's going to be hard to restock with just 12 wines.

I also inquired about the 2005 bordeaux, a legendary vintage that is arriving in the states. Ardmore only had 2 or 3 wines. Not a good sample compared to out-of-state stores that I have heard have over 100 different wines. What is going on in Harrisburg?

The Ardmore store is rapidly running out of Chairman's selections.  I looked on the website for upcoming selections and there are only 12 red wines listed.  It's going to be hard to restock with just 12 wines.

I also inquired about the 2005 bordeaux, a legendary vintage that is arriving in the states.  Ardmore only had 2 or 3 wines.  Not a good sample compared to out-of-state stores that I have heard have over 100 different wines.  What is going on in Harrisburg?

A couple of different issues: the dollar is in the process of losing a ridiculous amount of value. A lot of producers and importers have held the line on pricing, wary of losing market share. But they have an eye on the next guy, who may be about to blink, so they are holding on to a lot of their (better) stock, in the expectation that, as soon as the industry makes the more-or-less inevitable price adjustment, all that juice will be worth a great deal more. In this environment, the CS program, that specializes in bottom feeding, is going to have a rough time find too many people who are willing to discount stock producers already feel is undervalued.

Second issue, regarding the '05 Bordeaux: the PLCB is never going to see too much of those generally, since the demand is as high as it is. They're a large bureaucracy that does not have the nimbleness to deal with lots of small producers and importers. Of those wines that are brought over by people they regularly do business with, they will probably secure some stock. But it won't be much. And it usually trickles out more slowly than out-of-Commonwealth retailers get them, anyway.

Aside from all that, the Chairman's Selections will probably see none of the '05s, certainly none of any note: the absurd buzz on the vintage is spurring yet another feeding frenzy. Surplus wine on this one is going to be hard to come by, even in the lower crus.

On the other hand, expect to see some '04s drifting in, as that vintage virtually sat while people pooled their pennies for the '05s

That's in general, and about '05 Bordeaux in particular. About the current stocking levels, I was told new releases, and additional stock, are being held for an Easter promotion. Not sure why they wouldn't list them in the Forthcoming section of the website, but that's what they tell me. Which I probably should have led with, but I'm a difficult cuss, so there.

:raz:

Hope I like Garnacha, I picked up a bottle tonight. Is it anything like a Cabernet or Merlot? I plan on having it with a steak. Let me if I should pair it with something else instead.

Think Chateauneuf du Pape, which is often grenache/garnacha-heavy, though also usually blended. The Spanish style tends to be (overall) a bit lighter than the French, but a steak should still be right in the general bullseye area.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape, while definitely grenache (garnacha) heavy, can legally contain up to 13 different grape varietals, including several white varietals. More importantly, there is usually a fair percentage of syrah mixed in which would make for a bigger heartier red that would pair better with the steak dinner in question. CdP is much more of an outlier on the grenache scale than a typical example.

The French Rhone grenache style is a little different than the Spanish garnacha style due to differences in climate and soil as well. The Spanish vines tend to be grown in hotter more arid conditions than the French.

But it's all good juice. It's probably why grenache/garnacha is one of the most widely planted grapes on the planet.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Ardmore store is rapidly running out of Chairman's selections.  I looked on the website for upcoming selections and there are only 12 red wines listed.  It's going to be hard to restock with just 12 wines.

I also inquired about the 2005 bordeaux, a legendary vintage that is arriving in the states.  Ardmore only had 2 or 3 wines.  Not a good sample compared to out-of-state stores that I have heard have over 100 different wines.  What is going on in Harrisburg?

The 2005 vintage is only beginning to trickle into the US but expect to see them in the system. There are only 900 million bottles produced in the region in 2005 but I suspect might have ample opportunity to grab some. :wink: I have only had 2 05 bordeaux thus far and am confident that good wine will be found at all price levels. Be patient - spring is the time US retailers start seeing inventory - expect the PLCB to lag behind that. The wines by and large should be long lived so there is no hurry.

Dough can sense fear.

Current Chairman Selects has gone wild again and is listing just about every selection they had over the past year. I think they need some new people to handle their website. Not only is it frustrating to see something listed that you can't get, but you have to sort thru a zillion wines and guess at which ones might actually be available.

Current Chairman Selects has gone wild again and is listing just about every selection they had over the past year. I think they need some new people to handle their website. Not only is it frustrating to see something listed that you can't get, but you have to sort thru a zillion wines and guess at which ones might actually be available.

Even when a store in my area show one or two bottles, I learn at the store that they are sold out. Looks to me like they have to clean up the store inventory reporting to eliminate the "orphan" bottles so that the wines will drop off the listing. That's not something I will hold my breath for. On the positive side, when I ask about a wine showing in the inventory, the store personnel have always tried to find the wine.

And then there are the things I cannot understand. Recently, People Who Know have been telling me I ought to be drinking more zweigelt. Really, all the Beautiful People are doing it. So I do a quick Product Search. I find that the PLCB carries six zweigelts - not scads, but hey, some of them are very attractively priced.

Which makes it all the more maddening that none of them, not a bottle, not a drop, is available within the confines of Philadelphia County.

We are what, five million thirsty folk? So how is it that Mount Pocono needs several bottlings of Austrian red, but we can do without?

I've had the politics of this persuasively explained to me, but still, it is getting extremely old.

are you speaking of the berger zweigelt that comes in liter bottles?

i've been buying this in maryland for about 9 or 10/ bottle. my latest everyday red, it's delicious! tastes very much like gamay.

are you speaking of the berger zweigelt that comes in liter bottles?

i've been buying this in maryland for about 9 or 10/ bottle. my latest everyday red, it's delicious! tastes very much like gamay.

Sure. I'll say yes. Whatever! I'd settle for any zweigelt.

I actually don't know the Berger, or much zweigelt generally, other than some exposure at a couple of tastings. It was just a search to see what was around. Which, it turns out, is bupkas.

Unless I want to move to Mount Pocono, of course.

My excitement level rose when I saw the Campillo Rioja Reserva 1996 listed! Darn shame that it doesn't actually exists anywhere.

My excitement level rose when I saw the Campillo Rioja Reserva 1996 listed! Darn shame that it doesn't actually exists anywhere.

Sure it does! I'm looking at three bottles as I type this.

Talked to my local store manager yesterday. All the remaining stock of the select programs goes on sale 20% off monday morning.

Best,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for sharing that news. Gives me time to make a shopping list!

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

• 3 weeks later...
Talked to my local store manager yesterday. All the remaining stock of the select programs goes on sale 20% off monday morning.

Best,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for sharing that news. Gives me time to make a shopping list!

Anyone buy anything during the sale period? I had my eyes on the 1998 vintage Hardy's Australian port for around $11. Had a previous bottle and was amazed by the QPR. As should be the case, this port was still somewhat tannic but certainly drinkable with some air time. I purchased four bottles have over time while waiting for the 'real' Port to mature. It's a no guilt pleasure - cheaper than many tawny ports and much more serious. Also, purchased 4 JOSMEYER CASK 38 VIN D ALSACE 2003 I think. Have not tried that yet but was looking for some whites of this type for upcoming summer whites. About $10 which appeared to be an excellent price. Thought about some others, but never found some of the exact wines I was seeking.

Anyone buy anything during the sale period? I had my eyes on the 1998 vintage Hardy's Australian port for around $11. Had a previous bottle and was amazed by the QPR. As should be the case, this port was still somewhat tannic but certainly drinkable with some air time. I purchased four bottles have over time while waiting for the 'real' Port to mature. It's a no guilt pleasure - cheaper than many tawny ports and much more serious. Also, purchased 4 JOSMEYER CASK 38 VIN D ALSACE 2003 I think. Have not tried that yet but was looking for some whites of this type for upcoming summer whites. About $10 which appeared to be an excellent price. Thought about some others, but never found some of the exact wines I was seeking.

Funny. Bought the Port and the Josmeyer as well, six of the one and a case of the other. The other major investment was a case of the Columbia Crest Water Clore. At $28, I'd considered it. At $22, it was a no-brainer.

Aside from that, I just swept up odds and ends around Philadelphia, mostly various whites.

Now if only they'd clean up the website.

We were in the Lancaster specialty store yesterday and the place is pretty much picked clean of old Chairmans Selection items. The store has been cleaned up and looks much better than it had. Awaiting the arrival of whatever the new program will bring on.

Was looking for a 375ml bottle of Galliano. Stores no longer have this and LCB headquarters tells me they can't even order it as the distributor won't send it to the state. A 750ml bottle will most likely outlast me. I worked at a bar were the Galliano bottle lasted, as near as we could figure, almost 6 years.

Did pick up some other items I had SLO and they are getting a bottle of Armagnac in for me from another store. The guys at this store have always been helpful to me getting stuff in from other places.