• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

Despite the funny sounding name, I too had a bottle with a steak a few weeks ago and liked it enough to pick up 3 more bottles last week.

But my favorites for the last half of 2007 were the Hogue Reserve Cab & Merlot, followed by the Geyser Peak Merlot (Alexander Vally). All were excellent but the Hogue sold out too quick for me to get more than a case of each. I found 6 more of the Geyser Peaks 2 weeks ago when I went to Bryn Mawr to see "There will be Blood". I have to say whenever I search online for wines that run out where I live, that seems be up there with the Ardmore store in availability. They must get the Lions share of everything in our area. I even found one of the little Glenfiddich samplers with the 12, 15, & 18 year old single malts which ran out in my area before the end of November.

On another note, I have had the Bulleit Rye whiskey yet. Is it in the Select stores? So far, I've only checked the regular state store in Glenside, so hopefully I can get it at one of the specialty stores.

On another note, I have had the Bulleit Rye whiskey yet. Is it in the Select stores? So far, I've only checked the regular state store in Glenside, so hopefully I can get it at one of the specialty stores.

nah it's a regular store thing, not anything special.

i feel like i should clarify one thing: this isn't a small producer or a special LCB deal or anything. it's just a bourbon that i've found i like more than most others.

So I've been turning my attention towards cocktails recently and have been reading up on the numerous threads going on in the Cocktails forums. Only problem is, if I want to replicate some of those drink recipies at my house or a party, I can't get the correct ingrediants since our state stores don't have them. Katie pointed out to me that a number of items are available via SLO, but that takes things like planning and patience and I'm trying to mix some stuff up tonight. For example, I was looking for some rye whiskey and struck out at 3 locations (not Chestnut St, which I'll be hitting tonight) and the only vermouths that each spot carried was Martini and Rossi. What's the deal?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I'm sipping a glass of the Richard Hamilton Gumprs Shiraz 2005 right now.  It's an inky black huge fruit bomb of cherry, blackberry and pepper.  It's so viscous anad concentrated it's actually staining the sides of my wine glass.  A bit overwhelming on its own, but was a delicious accompaniment to my lamb chop dinner earlier this evening.

You were right on with your description. We're about to have it with some aged prime beef and I think it'll work very well. The accompliment is Jansson's Temptation potatoes, which is very rich.

We're on our way to Chick's tomorrow night for dinner (our first time). Hope to see you there.

So I've been turning my attention towards cocktails recently and have been reading up on the numerous threads going on in the Cocktails forums.  Only problem is, if I want to replicate some of those drink recipies at my house or a party, I can't get the correct ingrediants since our state stores don't have them.  Katie pointed out to me that a number of items are available via SLO, but that takes things like planning and patience and I'm trying to mix some stuff up tonight.  For example, I was looking for some rye whiskey and struck out at 3 locations (not Chestnut St, which I'll be hitting tonight) and the only vermouths that each spot carried was Martini and Rossi. What's the deal?

Don't know which Rye whiskey you were looking for, but the Wild Turkey is still plentiful. You can check for it thru this link http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/webApp/Product_...PRICE&filterBy=

Edited by Dennis (log)

So I've been turning my attention towards cocktails recently and have been reading up on the numerous threads going on in the Cocktails forums.  Only problem is, if I want to replicate some of those drink recipies at my house or a party, I can't get the correct ingrediants since our state stores don't have them.  Katie pointed out to me that a number of items are available via SLO, but that takes things like planning and patience and I'm trying to mix some stuff up tonight.  For example, I was looking for some rye whiskey and struck out at 3 locations (not Chestnut St, which I'll be hitting tonight) and the only vermouths that each spot carried was Martini and Rossi. What's the deal?

Tim:

Jim Beam Rye is on the shelf everywhere. It's listed.

Noilly Prat dry vermouth is usually at the Specialty stores (I pick mine up on 5th Street usually), but the search page currently shows it only at Franklin Mills in Philadelphia County. Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Narberth and Jenkintown stores are all listed as having some in Montgomery County if that's not too far out of your way. The Ardmore store usually has a pretty good selection of everything, including spirits, so that might be a place to make a field trip to for "research". :smile: They have the Wild Turkey Rye as well. Bryn Mawr seems to have a couple of bottles of the Sazerac 6 year old limited distribution stuff.

Report back with your findings, soldier...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Post-Gazette is running a four-part series on the PLCB that's interesting and infuriating. This thread is cited in one of the articles as are several posters.

There doesn't seem to be an overview link, but here is a link for an article from today that includes links to the other articles published so far. There will be more tomorrow and Wednesday:

Post-Gazette PLCB series

Ex-chairman's selects now in stores according to todays Inky. Says that Frank's union mart is already sold out. I just checked his site the other day and there was nothing about any releases. Thanks for the heads up Ex-chair.

Best,

Mike

nah it's a regular store thing, not anything special.

i feel like i should clarify one thing: this isn't a small producer or a special LCB deal or anything. it's just a bourbon that i've found i like more than most others.

I picked up a bottle of the Bulleit bourbon last night in Jenkintown. Smooooth as silk! Tried some "neat" and then over ice. I defintely will be drinking it neat. I'm still going to do a blind taste test with some friends this winter and will either pick up or have them bring some other bourbons to try. I have 3 on hand and would like to taste about 6. But first, I need to determine how to judge them. Any suggestions?

Edited by Dennis (log)

...But first, I need to determine how to judge them. Any suggestions?

Make sure you get a good differential in the makeup of the various bourbons. Get one with a high percentage of wheat (e.g. Maker's Mark and/or W.L. Weller Specail Reserve) vs. ones with a higher percentage of rye (Wild Turkey) and throw in some ringers for contrast (Booker's to taste something unfiltered and uncut). You'll start to taste the subtle differences that the makeup of the mashbill will produce, as well as the differences in aging. Should be some interesting lab work! Please report back.

edited to add:

On a careful second reading I realize you asked how to judge them, not how to choose them. I'd certainly look for characteristics like vanilla component, fruitiness, smoothness, spiciness, balance between sweetness and alcohol, complexity, finish, etc.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else notice that the current CS site is listing wines that haven't been available in over a year and at best there might be one bottle in some remote corner of the state? At first I couldn't believe it when I saw the Hannah & Hogue Reserve back on the list, then I did the check & was very disppointed...made no sense to list something that is basically gone....

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to why they did this? Personnaly, I think it's a bad idea, especially since the local store will probably not want to go the trouble to have an single orphanned bottle shipped in.

Edited by Dennis (log)

Did anybody else notice that the current CS site is listing wines that haven't been available in over a year and at best there might be one bottle in some remote corner of the state? At first I couldn't believe it when I saw the Hannah & Hogue Reserve back on the list, then I did the check & was very disppointed...made no sense to list something that is basically gone....

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to why they did this? Personnaly, I think it's a bad idea, especially since the local store will probably not want to go the trouble to have an single orphanned bottle shipped in.

Yes indeedy...it's very frustrating. And I'm glad you bring up the point of local stores having bottles shipped in. This is something that simply puzzles me (well, it used to; now I'm hardened and cynical.)

A few weeks ago I was trying to track down a particular wine which was on sale at a good price, and I wanted to stock up for our "house" wine selection. Very few bottles were available in my vicinity, but I did find (i) a store about an hour's drive with several cases, and (ii) a store way out in the western part of the state with several cases.

So I called the first store. Of course, they had none; it was an error on the website.

And then I called the second store. They had it. But they didn't think they could ship it. But they weren't sure; the store manager thought it might not be allowed under LCB rules. She was very nice, and said she'd happily do it if she could, but asked me to call the LCB customer service hotline to check if it was permissible.

So I did. And was never able to get through. As many times as I called, the automated call queue system ended up just dumping me to invalid extensions where the polite robotic voice told me she was very sorry but I'd pressed the wrong button. Or words to that effect.

Sad....

So now I have no idea. And the changes implemented after the Mr. Newman departed have, in my eyes, resulted in a more confusing line-up with poorer selections and "bargains" that are unreliable. Sigh...

A few weeks ago I was trying to track down a particular wine which was on sale at a good price, and I wanted to stock up for our "house" wine selection. Very few bottles were available in my vicinity, but I did find (i) a store about an hour's drive with several cases, and (ii) a store way out in the western part of the state with several cases.

So I called the first store. Of course, they had none; it was an error on the website.

And then I called the second store. They had it. But they didn't think they could ship it. But they weren't sure; the store manager thought it might not be allowed under LCB rules. She was very nice, and said she'd happily do it if she could, but asked me to call the LCB customer service hotline to check if it was permissible.

So I did. And was never able to get through. As many times as I called, the automated call queue system ended up just dumping me to invalid extensions where the polite robotic voice told me she was very sorry but I'd pressed the wrong button. Or words to that effect.

Sad....

So now I have no idea. And the changes implemented after the Mr. Newman departed have, in my eyes, resulted in a more confusing line-up with poorer selections and "bargains" that are unreliable. Sigh...

They don't have to "ship" the wine and no special permissions are needed. The wine has to be "transferred" from the originating store to the PLCB store of your choosing. Even the one that's closest to home. The store manager should be able to call the store of origin and request the transfer for you. You might have to pay a deposit up front, not sure about that. But that's how it's supposed to work. You just spoke to some very clueless employees, I think.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

To add to Katie's post, you will also be charged a UPS shipping fee. I've done this about 3 or 4 times with my local Newtown store. I don't remember being asked for a deposit but that may be because they know me by name, gee that's scary!

To add to Katie's post, you will also be charged a UPS shipping fee. I've done this about 3 or 4 times with my local Newtown store. I don't remember being asked for a deposit but that may be because they know me by name, gee that's scary!

Not necessarily, Jeff: if the transfer is reasonably local, there will be no shipping charge. If it's some distance, well... as far as I can tell, it's at the discretion of the managers involved. I've had wine transferred from Pittsburgh that was not available locally, and there was no charge. And I've had stuff brought in from the suburbs pretty often without shipping being mentioned.

To elaborate on Katie's main point: calling the store where the wine is available is essentially useless, except to verify things like vintage and such. Your local store - the one you want the wine shipped to - has to contact them and request the transfer.

The key to the process - in fact, the key to making the PLCB work for you - is to establish a relationship with the manager(s) of your local store. It's a much more pleasant process than most seem to think, and once you have them advocating for you, astonishing opportunities materialize. Like $20 Vosne-Romanee, and $17 half-bottles of '99 Barolo. Really truly.

The one situation where shipping is unavoidable is when buying the wine from the Online Store. And even then they run occasional no-shipping-charge promotions.

I agree and also have a good relationship with two of the managers at the Newtown store. But not once did either of them call to tell me about what's coming in or otherwise great values currently on ther shelves. That would be too much like the way it works just about everywhere else don't you think? :laugh:

That said, it might be worth a visit soon to ask about this.

I agree and also have a good relationship with two of the managers at the Newtown store. But not once did either of them call to tell me about what's coming in or otherwise great values currently on ther shelves.  That would be too much like the way it works just about everywhere else don't you think? :laugh:

That said, it might be worth a visit soon to ask about this.

Thanks all for your comments. I'll have to keep this in mind and, most importantly, make my local wine store do the work for me. Unfortunately my local local wine store is pretty dire. I go to Doylestown for the real shopping, or else to King of Prussia or Collegeville when I'm at work.

One caveat; the lady I spoke with who said she didn't know if she was allowed to send the wines out said that the reason she was unsure was because it was a Chairman's Selection, and each store was allocated a certain amount. Make any sense? In any case, I'll get friendly with the local store manager and make them do the legwork for me next time. :smile:

One caveat; the lady I spoke with who said she didn't know if she was allowed to send the wines out said that the reason she was unsure was because it was a Chairman's Selection, and each store was allocated a certain amount. Make any sense? In any case, I'll get friendly with the local store manager and make them do the legwork for me next time.  :smile:

It explains why the store might be reluctant to transfer out the wine, yes: transferring wine out does not count towards their sales totals. But there's no reason they'd be unable to. Many of my own transfers fall into precisely that category, since any number of Selections seem to mysteriously bipass Philadelphia County.

Aside from the fact that they need to be the ones to do it, that's also why it's not hard to get your store manager on your side: transferring wine in generates sales, by definition. In fact, my store occasionally transfers a few additional cases of wines I request, to put out for sale.

Also (and sorry if this sounds like I'm being a blowhard) keep in mind you can't make PLCB employees do anything - things may be much improved, but there's still enough of the old habits lingering around that it's a bad idea to think otherwise.

Alternatively, you could go to New Jersey where you can make employees do just about anything I'm told. But seriously, it does make sense, as Capaneus suggests, to chat it up with your local store folks, not just the managers. I've been turned on to some really nice wines that I might otherwise have never known about. They used to do fairly regular group tastings and tasting dinners when Jonathan was still at the helm, not sure if that happens with as much frequency now that the Stalinists are back in control.

Overall, I've been treated very well since the Chairman implemented his changes. The stores that I feel have treated me best are Maple Glenn, Jenkintown, Flourtown, & Gulf Mills. However, with that being said, the last time I was at the Jenkintown store, I sensed a lot of unrest with the employee's. They were ripping apart the LCB as if no one else was in the store. They felt as if they were being treated unfairly. They mentioned that they could easily be transferred to other stores that could create a hardship due to long travel distance or new hours that had to be worked in order to keep their jobs, and that their choice was "take it or leave it".

This wasn't just one employee, it was several of them.

I'm running low on reds, does anyone have a strong recommendation on any of the recent Chairman Selects?

If you like Garnacha, I have really enjoyed the 2005 Bodegas y Viñedos del Jalón Catalunya Las Pizarras(secret code 26175 - $19.99). And, I'm anxiously awaiting it's big brother the Altos Las Pizarras which as February is now gone, hopefully will be arriving soon.

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei