• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

Clearly he is adequately backed financially. Seems like everyone on his board is a money guy, anyway I wish him well if he still reads these posts and maybe he can let us know how we here in PA might avail ourselves of some of his current and future picks.

i'm thinking the only way that could happen is if you'd buy them in another state. say, one that's "over the river and through the woods," if you know what i mean, and has a different set of liquor laws?

not that i would advocate anything illegal, of course, having never done anything of the sort myself.

I don't even know how to get to New Jersey James, let alone do something illegal there. But if I were to figure it out, it'd be nice to have say a dozen or so of the ex Chairman's value oriented stuff to just look at, not purchase of course.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I sure hope that he has a web page and a search fuction so we can find the wines in a no sales tax state. Gotta love it.

Best,

Mike

Keep in mind that these merchants will be pricing these wines however they wish. No reason to think the savings will be passed on to us.

I asked him this very same question. The incentive for the retailers is their geographic exclusive for an "X miles" radius. This would vary from store to store and state to state. You're right that there's no guarantee that they wouldn't price the wines outrageously just to turn the profit, but their competition would be the other stores that are dealing with NewmanwineandSpirits and the ability to look up what others are charging for the same product. In regular retail states unlike PA, the competition is pretty fierce to get folks to come in the door and the difference in pricing for popular brands is often pennies. If you're perceived as having the best prices overall, you'll have more customers. Adding the new "X-Chairman's Selections" would be an even bigger draw.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...

After reading the recommendation in the Wine Scholl News Letter regrading the Rizzi 2001 Riserva Barbaresco, I decided to give it a try. I was very disappointed. The wine is already turning brown and just didn't seem to have anything good (tannis, nose, or taste) going for it. The cork looked fine so I don't think the wine was bad. Maybe I was expecting too much and I'll admit I am not familair with this particular grape/wine. However, I do regulary enjoy Chiantis & Valpollicellas which this wine was nothing like. I'm glad I only paid the $18 price instead of the suggested $65 price. Please let me know if any of you shared a similar experience or if it's just my lack of knowledge regarding this varietal. BTW, I'm still drinking some excellent Chianti's from the 2001 vintage.

After reading the recommendation in the Wine Scholl News Letter regrading the Rizzi 2001 Riserva Barbaresco, I decided to give it a try. I was very disappointed. The wine is already turning brown and just didn't seem to have anything good (tannis, nose, or taste) going for it. The cork looked fine so I don't think the wine was bad. Maybe I was expecting too much and I'll admit I am not familair with this particular grape/wine. However, I do regulary enjoy Chiantis & Valpollicellas which this wine was nothing like. I'm glad I only paid the $18 price instead of the suggested $65 price. Please let me know if any of you shared a similar experience or if it's just my lack of knowledge regarding this varietal. BTW, I'm still drinking some excellent Chianti's from the 2001 vintage.

Actually, I bought a case the last go-round, and I liked the wine quite a lot. It's leaner and more austere than most Barbarescos of this vintage, but still quite a good wine. I haven't drank a bottle in a couple of months - I have one left, though I've been thinking of restocking - but that latest one was pretty much the same wine I recall.

Barbaresco and Barolo are Nebbiolo, not Sangiovese, and I've found that many people find them difficult to approach. And while '01 was an unusually plush vintage in the Piedmonte, the Rizzi reminds me much more of traditional wines.

On the other hand, the browning is not something I've noticed in my own wine. Your bottle may have been somehow adulterated. You'd likely have noticed if it was cooked or madeirized, but something else may be off.

How long did you have it? Did you buy it and open it right away, or hold it for awhile? Where and how was it stored? Sounds like it was exposed to some extreme temperature changes. Even on a good day, that wine shouldn't be BROWN. And 2001 isn't old enough to be getting that lovely brick color from aging yet.

Methinks you got a funky bottle.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

How long did you have it? Did you buy it and open it right away, or hold it for awhile? Where and how was it stored? Sounds like it was exposed to some extreme temperature changes. Even on a good day, that wine shouldn't be BROWN. And 2001 isn't old enough to be getting that lovely brick color from aging yet.

Methinks you got a funky bottle.

I bought it last week at the Flourtown shop and stored in my wine rack at home (which is cold). It didn't taste or smell funky...just lifeless.

Edited by Dennis (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Wow.  Hip-hop vodka in PA.  Who'da thunk it.  :rolleyes:

My latest bargain is the 1.75 liter MAGNUM of Eagle Rare 10 year old bourbon that's on closeout for the low low price of $35.99.  Yes.  That's right.  The regular 750ml bottle @ $24.99 is still one of my faves, but when I saw this big-assed bottle at the 7th and South Street store I snapped it up.  There's still a few more sprinkled about, so run and get yours before they're gone!  This is great bourbon even at the regular price, but the humongous bottle makes quite a statement.  Could be a fabulous gift for the bourbon lover in your life.  Or yourself, if you think like I do.  :smile:

Yesterday Maggie was shopping for gifts and I asked her to get a bottle of bourbon for me to gift a friend. She called me to report the Eagle Rare 10 year old on sale. I told her to grab it as we all know it is good stuff. When she got home she discovered she had instead grabbed a bottle of the 17 year old Eagle Rare that was not on sale. I said we should take it back. She decided to instead give it to ME!!!! I have always loved her, and now I know why. Never has the 17 year old and am anxious to try it.

But the Eagle Rare 10 year old on sale is a good thing. Not as good a deal as the closeout on the 1.5L bottles talked about above. But a good price on good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Mike. How's the 17 yr. old bourbon? I thinking you musta cracked it open by now....

I realized I hadn't posted anything new to this thread in a while and decided to purposefully choose some wine and remember to write about it. I bought a bottle of Cosentino "The Med" 2005 Lodi Red Wine. This bottle is currently a Chairman's Selection for $9.99 and I'd bought it to accompany some rotisserie chicken for dinner earlier in the week. This wine is a really interesting blend of Mediterranean varietals including Tempranillo, Dolcetto, Carignane, Valdique, Alicante, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Cao, Barbera and Primitivo. So we've got some Spanish, French, Portugese and Italian going on. It's actually very food friendly as a result, with a lot of cooked dark cherry flavors, really ripe fruitiness and smoothed out tannins. It's much more Californian in style however, being very ripe and "in your face" fruit forward. But a pretty nice bottle for the money, seeing as how it's listed on the winery website at $18. It's got a good beat and you can definitely dance to it. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So, Mike. How's the 17 yr. old bourbon? I thinking you musta cracked it open by now....

Katie, it is very interesting. The fist thing is the color. It is in the same tall clear bottle as the 10 year old, but it is much, much darker. Those extra 7 years of oak really brought on a dark rich color.

I have been sipping this neat, much as a cognac. Fist off it is just so smooth and mellow. It is 90 proof but not at all hot. First taste makes me think I am drinking something other than bourbon. It is wheated just like the 10 year old and the first taste is so mellow and smooth with no real spiciness other than some hint of vanilla. I have often seen whiskey described as having the taste of leather. Never really got that until I tasted this. As I said mouth feel is smooth and not hot. There than comes a perfect aftertaste were I do find it to be bourbon. I have not mixed this with anything and doubt I will, though I may try a Manhattan. On one level I'm not sure it tastes like bourbon to me. Or like what i think bourbon ought to taste like.

I think it goes for 58 or 59 bucks. Would I pay that for another bottle? Not really sure. I really like it to sip but I wonder if it refined past what i am looking for in a bourbon. I guess i seem ambivalent. I should not be. It is wonderful stuff that shows me something unique. It was also a wonderful gift from my darling wife. I would gladly e-mail a few ounces to you if the technology allowed.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I opened up my HUGE bottle of the 10 year old at Xmas and thought it was very nice. I'd like to compare directly to the Buffalo Trace sometime since they're made by the same distiller. However, the deal that I really liked was the Wild Turkey Rye.

I bought 6 bottles the 1st time it was out and just picked up aother 6 last week. I've given away a few as gifts but the bulk is for me. I guess I've aquired a taste for Rye Whiskey. Now all I have to do is sample some of the competition so I can get a better idea of whats out there. Although, I think it will be hard to beat the $15.99 price tag for the Wild Turkey.

Not even 24 hours since my post and I'm going to have to "drink" my words....

After my last post, I decided to revisit the Eagle Rare and I have to admit that it's every bit as good as the Wild Turkey but different. So, I've decided that I need to do a side by side comparison soon and see just what my tastebuds can discern between the two.

Atta boy, Dennis! Taking one for the team in the name of bourbon research. I respect your intrepid approach. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

dennis, you should check out the bulleit bourbon when you have a chance. it's made with a high percentage of rye, so it's somehwere between the eagle rare (mostly corn) and the wild turkey rye (mostly rye). it's in between them in alcohol content too, at 90 proof. it's my favorite everyday bourbon.

I think the silence on this page says it all.

yep. political douchebaggery can take the fun out of most anything.

edited to add: i mean, the chairman's selection program wasn't perfect, but it was fun. and it was also cool to know that the person in charge really dug what he was doing. and sure they're continuing the program, and who knows, there might even be a deal or three, but really the joy has been sucked out of it. for a moment there it was possible to actually LIKE our draconian state store system, but no more.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I think the silence on this page says it all.

yep. political douchebaggery can take the fun out of most anything.

edited to add: i mean, the chairman's selection program wasn't perfect, but it was fun. and it was also cool to know that the person in charge really dug what he was doing. and sure they're continuing the program, and who knows, there might even be a deal or three, but really the joy has been sucked out of it. for a moment there it was possible to actually LIKE our draconian state store system, but no more.

All true.

On the other hand, even if the fun has somewhat gone out of it, I'm still buying. In the current crop, the best buys are any number of Australian Shirazes. Personally, I've picked up a truckload of assorted Rolf Binder bottlings, which, at $12 to $15, may be the best bargains I've ever drunk. No joke. If these were CdR people would be elbowing each other in wine-store aisles all over the country. But it's Australia, which has had a string of great vintages longer than my memory, and we're likely spoiled. The Rolf Binder "Halliwell" '04 is my go-to tipple of the moment, and I'd be embarrassed to tell you just how much I've bought. Even though I've had to bug the bejeezus out of my local store, since distribution continues to largely bypass Philadelphia.

But if you don't find these, there are at least a half-dozen other great finds in the CS program right now. But skip the Phillip Shaw "Number 25" merlot, cab, cabernet franc blend. I found it thin and unpleasantly acidic.

And while we're on the subject of great wines from former British colonies, if you ever wanted to try a Canadian icewine, but were spooked by the prospect of a second mortgage, pick up a split of the Jackson-Triggs Vidal bottling, still around at about $13 per. It's great stuff - I like it better than the Inniskillin also floating around, and it's half the price. The small size and low, low price make it a great opportunity to make the very charming acquaintance of this Northern sweetie...

On the other hand, even if the fun has somewhat gone out of it, I'm still buying. In the current crop, the best buys are any number of Australian Shirazes. Personally, I've picked up a truckload of assorted Rolf Binder bottlings, which, at $12 to $15, may be the best bargains I've ever drunk. No joke. If these were CdR people would be elbowing each other in wine-store aisles all over the country.

tell us more.

ok actually nevermind, i know how you taste things, i'll check them out.

I tried a bottle of the Craneford Allyson Parsons shiraz '05 the other day because my usually reliable source was touting it. My wife loved it. Overly extracted with alot of rs, so all you people who like them huge and sweet this ones for you. Pedro you would choke. $11.99

Best,

Mike

I tried a bottle of the Craneford Allyson Parsons shiraz '05 the other day because my usually reliable source was touting it. My wife loved it. Overly extracted with alot of rs, so all you people who like them huge and sweet this ones for you. Pedro you would choke. $11.99

Best,

Mike

Sounds right. I can handle a bit of residual sugar, but huge reds have a lot more trouble carrying it gracefully.

The Halliwell is big, no mistake. But it is bone-dry, and has beautiful structure: the acids and tannins are just perfectly balanced When we first opened my first bottle, at Cochon, it just seemed like too much, it was a bit overwhelming. But within ten minutes or so it had settled down, and developed into quite an elegant wine, if that can be said of something this brawny.

Honestly, this compares favorably to some very decent Northern Rhones I've had recently. And at $12.99 it's about a third the price.

Listen: how much did I like this? I waited until I was able to pick up all I wanted before I told you people about it. There isn't a whole lot of it out there.

dennis, you should check out the bulleit bourbon when you have a chance.  it's made with a high percentage of rye, so it's somehwere between the eagle rare (mostly corn) and the wild turkey rye (mostly rye).  it's in between them in alcohol content too, at 90 proof.  it's my favorite everyday bourbon.

I was at the state store yesterday and somehow I remembered your recommendation for this interesting bourbon. I'm not that sophisticated a cocktail drinker but my favorite by far is a Manhattan made with straight rye. There's something about the bite that straight rye has that I miss when using a bourbon. But the high percentage of rye caught my eye. I made one yesterday using the typical sweet vermouth (I also like Fee Bros. orange bitters) and it was lovely but not what I really like best.

So today I tinkered with it slightly and instead of the sweet vermouth used martini & rossie Bianco. Very smooth, not too sweet, and I sure could get used to these! :smile:

Carole:

I've always considered the Bianco a sort of pre-made "perfect" vermouth, in that it has a bit of sweetness to back up the dryness. The Bulleit is very tasty stuff and is the best balance of higher proof and good flavor without burning out the esophagus, IMO. The idea of a simple and straightforward Manhattan made with these components sounds right up my alley. I have the Bianco at home and plan to fix my lack of a bottle of Bulleit post haste, to give this a whirl. Thanks for the suggestion.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm sipping a glass of the Richard Hamilton Gumprs Shiraz 2005 right now. It's an inky black huge fruit bomb of cherry, blackberry and pepper. It's so viscous anad concentrated it's actually staining the sides of my wine glass. A bit overwhelming on its own, but was a delicious accompaniment to my lamb chop dinner earlier this evening. This could undoubtedly rest for a little while, but is tasty if accompanied by food right now. A very nice bottle for $11.99 and certainly something I'd buy again.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm sipping a glass of the Richard Hamilton Gumprs Shiraz 2005 right now.  It's an inky black huge fruit bomb of cherry, blackberry and pepper.  It's so viscous anad concentrated it's actually staining the sides of my wine glass.  A bit overwhelming on its own, but was a delicious accompaniment to my lamb chop dinner earlier this evening.  This could undoubtedly rest for a little while, but is tasty if accompanied by food right now.  A very nice bottle for $11.99 and certainly something I'd buy again.

We had a bottle of this with onion soup I made on Sunday. It really was a big wine with lots of fruit as Katie says. However, it went well with the onion soup. The price was very nice as well.