• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

Funny you say that, I just had my last bottle of the Poet yesterday at lunch. This is the reason I was asking about the syrah. The Poet is one of my favorite wines and I'm hoping the syrah will be great too. At 10 bucks, it's surely worth it to find out. Just was curious as to others reactions.

Has anyone tried the Cosentino Syrah that is currently a Chairmans selection? It's flying off the shelves in Newtown and before I go somewhere else I was just wondering if anyone has opinions on the stuff.

I bought a case and shared a bottle with family on Friday. All four people liked it and thought it was an excellent deal. While I also enjoyed the Cosentino Syrah, I couldn't help but notice the 14.5% alcohol level. Accordingly, this wine seems to have a slightly "hot" finish for my taste, at least. Jeff, if you're still interested and you're the guy who lives in Holland, LMK and you may have part of my case.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Shared a bottle of the Cosentino Syrah with Miss Claire last night while watching some tv and munching some leftover pot roast. We both enjoyed it and found it to be a very good value at $9.99. It's most definitely California Syrah - no Rhone earthiness and lots of in your face fruit. But a tasty example of that style nonetheless. I didn't find it hot, but we served it at about 64 farenheit so that might have taken that edge off of it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Many of us have fallen in love with St Germain Elderflower Liqueur thanks to our resident bartendrix pouring it over at Chick's. The weather is getting a little cold for those white-wine spritzers, but I could imagine still enjoying this in various contexts.

I was dreading navigating the SLO process to get a bottle or two, but figured 'd suck it up and do it one of these days. Imagine my surprise when I not only found it on the shelf at a State Store, but also a Chairman's Selection! $25 for 750ml, down from 30-something...

Also, there's yet another Inniskillin Vidal Ice wine, $25 for a 187ml. I haven't tried this one yet, but the one they were running a few months ago for $30 was awesome. This one is "Gold" 2004, oak-aged. We'll see...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Imagine how flummoxed and angry I was to have ordered the St. Germain at the SLO price of $33-something per bottle, waiting weeks for it while it was "backordered" and then finding it on the shelf for less. :angry:

It's a bargain at $24.99/bottle. I'll be reporting back on new and interesting uses for it. I'm working on a French cocktail dinner for November, so it might be featured somehow in a newer variant on French cocktails.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Imagine how flummoxed and angry I was to have ordered the St. Germain at the SLO price of $33-something per bottle, waiting weeks for it while it was "backordered" and then finding it on the shelf for less.  :angry:

It's a bargain at $24.99/bottle.  I'll be reporting back on new and interesting uses for it.  I'm working on a French cocktail dinner for November, so it might be featured somehow in a newer variant on French cocktails.

I've been meaning to mention it for a while. In general, I've been following with some curiosity the expansion of the spirits side of the Chairman's Selection program. It seems to be creeping about in the shadows, ashamed of itself: no mention on the website, no advertising of any kind. Since the initial appearance of the Armandale, it's expanded some: besides the St.Germain, a few weeks ago, yesterday I saw a half-dozen tequilas and a few other assorted items at the 19th and Chestnut store.

I wonder if there's any way to search the program comprehensively.

Also, there's yet another Inniskillin Vidal Ice wine, $25 for a 187ml.  I haven't tried this one yet, but the one they were running a few months ago for $30 was awesome.  This one is "Gold" 2004, oak-aged.  We'll see...

And for $12.99, they have a Jackson-Triggs Vidal Icewine 187ml, code 10231. An easier casual expense.

The couple of Vidal dessert wines I've tried have generally been lower in acidity than Rieslings. How do others' experiences compare?

Also, there's yet another Inniskillin Vidal Ice wine, $25 for a 187ml.  I haven't tried this one yet, but the one they were running a few months ago for $30 was awesome.  This one is "Gold" 2004, oak-aged.  We'll see...

And for $12.99, they have a Jackson-Triggs Vidal Icewine 187ml, code 10231. An easier casual expense.

The couple of Vidal dessert wines I've tried have generally been lower in acidity than Rieslings. How do others' experiences compare?

I think you're generally right, although that other (un-oaked) Inniskillin Vidal was really nicely balanced. I grabbed one of those Jackson Triggs too, perhaps we'll need to do an Icy Vidal tasting...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Don't know about anyone else but the 375's of the '01 Luce are just starting to hit the PAWS on the left side of the state...can the East be that much further behind? For $20, this should is quite a deal since the 750 goes for $60+.

Luce delle Vite 2001 2001 - 92 points in Wine Spectator

Now $19.99 ... Quoted at $37.50 ... Save $17.51 Code: 23604

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

been a while since I shopped at the PLCB, but was near one for business so swung by for giggles. I was psyched to see a Priorat as a CS so picked up a bottle. Pulled to cellar temp, popped, poured, and immediately remembered why I haven't been to the PLCB in a while: yet another cooked bottle from the LCB. My personal experience has been that its quite a crap shoot getting well conditioned bottles there. I'd venture 1 in 4 have been off in one way or another. Am I alone in this experience?

Importantly, I saw a blatantly underpriced high-end bottle (as labeled on the shelf) that I considered picking up. Any experience on price label "errors" and having management agree to that labeled price? The shelf label clearly referenced the bottle in question, so it wasn't simply a mis-placed product. I normally wouldn't even consider rolling the dice given storage concerns, but at the price listed, I might be willing to gamble. Any clue on how the temperature controlled room inventory is stored prior to being shelved?

Edited by jwjon1 (log)

been a while since I shopped at the PLCB, but was near one for business so swung by for giggles.  I was psyched to see a Priorat as a CS so picked up a bottle.  Pulled to cellar temp, popped, poured, and immediately remembered why I haven't been to the PLCB in a while: yet another cooked bottle from the LCB.  My personal experience has been that its quite a crap shoot getting well conditioned bottles there. I'd venture 1 in 4 have been  off in one way or another.  Am I alone in this experience?

Importantly, I saw a blatantly underpriced high-end bottle (as labeled on the shelf) that I considered picking up.  Any experience on price label "errors" and having management agree to that labeled price?  The shelf label clearly referenced the bottle in question, so it wasn't simply a mis-placed product.  I normally wouldn't even consider rolling the dice given storage concerns, but at the price listed, I might be willing to gamble.  Any clue on how the temperature controlled room inventory is stored prior to being shelved?

Well, one of the perks of a government-run liquor distribution system, at least in our case, is that they're less concerned with the fluctuations of the market. The price they will sell a bottle remains constant for its shelf life. So that might explain your find, if it's an older wine.

Otherwise, some of us have occasionally run into odd, unadvertised discounts: Chapoutier is a frequent suspect. I have a guess (and it's only that) that these wines might be small quantities purchased in lots with the Chairman's Selections, but of which there are too few to include in the program.

You've got me curious, now. What was the wine?

Found Chateau Meyney 2000 (first label, not the Prieur de Meyney) on closeout for about $28.50. Meyney has always served me pretty well as a solid producer over the years and I look forward to the 2000s. There are still some scattered about the state but not many.

been a while since I shopped at the PLCB, but was near one for business so swung by for giggles.  I was psyched to see a Priorat as a CS so picked up a bottle.  Pulled to cellar temp, popped, poured, and immediately remembered why I haven't been to the PLCB in a while: yet another cooked bottle from the LCB.  My personal experience has been that its quite a crap shoot getting well conditioned bottles there. I'd venture 1 in 4 have been  off in one way or another.  Am I alone in this experience?

If the "Priorat" in question was the Torres Emblema, I wouldn't necessarily use it as a benchmark for other Priorat wines. I had one bottle: Fruity, almost sweet, easy drinking and simple. There was a whimsical reference to it in a previous post.

Importantly, I saw a blatantly underpriced high-end bottle (as labeled on the shelf) that I considered picking up.

Turns out the bottle in question, 1996 Clicquot La Grande Dame (item 005889), is on closeout for $90, which is an absolute steal. The current release (1998) sells for $145. Guess its a shelving space issue, but if it were my shop, I'd discount the '98. I'm not complaining, however!

If you can still find it...try the Hogue 2003 Reserve Cab. It's got an excellent nose and great taste and the $14.99 price tag makes it a good bargain. I checked it out on line and it lists for $30 everywhere but here and it has Gold Medal from the Nortwest wine competition.

Noticed that the FRESCOBALDI DI REMOLE IMP. SANGIOVESE VI (code 08283) is on sale at the moment for $7.99. At that price this is a steal! Very nice with your favorite Italian meal. I've already stocked up on all I could find within close range :smile:

Most stores, unfortunately, seem to only have a handful of bottles. The one I found with more than a couple of cases said they weren't allowed to ship it out to a store near me :angry: which distressed me greatly. Yet another PA quirk, I suppose.

In case anyone missed it, there was an interesting article by Michael Klein this week about Newman and his new wine venture. Here's the link.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/...ak_for_LCB.html

Thanks for posting this article. You gotta wonder why he doesn't plan on doing business with PALCB :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I had the pleasure of attending a private tasting event earlier this week that featured Jonathan Newman as guest speaker. He talked a lot about his new venture and about how things had gone down at the PLCB. When asked how many states he'll be doing business with his answer was a wry, "Forty-nine."

Success is the best revenge. I have no doubt he'll be laughing all the way to the bank. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I sure hope that he has a web page and a search fuction so we can find the wines in a no sales tax state. Gotta love it.

Best,

Mike

Already does: newmanwineandspirits.com

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I sure hope that he has a web page and a search fuction so we can find the wines in a no sales tax state. Gotta love it.

Best,

Mike

Keep in mind that these merchants will be pricing these wines however they wish. No reason to think the savings will be passed on to us.

Best,

Mike

Already does: newmanwineandspirits.com

Clearly he is adequately backed financially. Seems like everyone on his board is a money guy, anyway I wish him well if he still reads these posts and maybe he can let us know how we here in PA might avail ourselves of some of his current and future picks.

Clearly he is adequately backed financially. Seems like everyone on his board is a money guy, anyway I wish him well if he still reads these posts and maybe he can let us know how we here in PA might avail ourselves of some of his current and future picks.

i'm thinking the only way that could happen is if you'd buy them in another state. say, one that's "over the river and through the woods," if you know what i mean, and has a different set of liquor laws?

not that i would advocate anything illegal, of course, having never done anything of the sort myself.