• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 2)

and then on to Guu with Garlic to curse the Wild or Chambar where I will pose as several different eGulleters cashing in on free beers. I might not be as beautiful as snacky cat or as handsome as Neil, but with a little mascara, some dark light, and a razor, I'm sure I could pass as Arne. Bring on the Stella and Go Canucks Go!

Okay I wasn't going to post, but curiousity has gotten the better of me. Re: mascara remark - WTF?? !!!!

1)The Graveyard, Fraser and 41st

It was the festival of All Souls, a community ritual organized by artist Paula Jardin. This is one of the most beautiful and profound events I have ever been to in Vancouver. Paula created a magical atmosphere where anyone of any culture could come and honor their departed friends and ancestors. We stood around burning barrels and warmed our fingers while folk singers warmed our souls with traditional songs. Many people had created lanterns featuring photos of the honored ones, along with messages and poems. Many of the memories cited references to food..."Dear dad, we miss your sandwiches..." All India Sweets sold chai and burfi to boost our energy and keep us warm. The pistaschio burfi was full of whole nuts, and was my favorite of the varieties offered.

2) Takeout Wingnuts for our Halloween pre-trick or treat dinner. I ordered the Togarashi which were not as spicy as they should have been. I ended up putting them in the leftover honey garlic sauce, which made them much more interesting. The protein sustained us through our nocturnal wanderings for sweet things. When "U" sorted out his booty I discovered that S'mores bars have changed. When I grew up they were nuts suspended in chocolate toffee, but now they're graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows. I managed to cadge one bite and I think I'm hooked.

3) The Graveyard, Fraser and 41st

Today is all saints day, so I wanted to take "U" for a picnic in the graveyard and show him some of the altars that had been set up. We picked up perogies to go from European Breads and I talked to him about my grandmother. I told him about some of the food she used to make and thought about how I have inherited her love of sweets and chocolate. The potato perogies were shaped like the Ukrainian ones I'm familiar with. The turkey ones and the pork ones are shaped like the navel of Venus. Served with sour cream and sprinkled with salt and pepper they are classic. The woman at the bakery told me the pork were tastier than the turkey and she was right.

We spread out picnic blanket over a cement bench and chatted and watched the graves turn silvery, then grey, then black. "U" told me he was familiar with the convention of people talking to graves, since he's seen it in his comic books. He told me how much he loves my mom, and he said he talks to his toys all the time. I was surprised there was no one else having a picnic, but then it occurred to me that in Mexico it would be much warmer at this time of the year, and maybe we should have an all soul's day in the summer instead.

The Mouse and the Bean are having Mexican food-related events all week to honor their traditions. Check out their web site if you are interested.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Took the growing brood to Mo:Le in Victoria this morning and gorged on a fabulous beet-top bechemel sauced Galloping Goose sausage omelette with chanterelles and pesto hash (it's easier to eat than write!).

that sounds amazing! must try that next time i find myself in victoria.

My mother-in-law's good friend found that wrapping the doughnuts in duck bacon and then dipping them the syrup was quite tasty.  I love her!!!!!

Jeff

i think i love her too!

Quentina

I might not be as beautiful as snacky cat or as handsome as Neil, but with a little mascara, some dark light, and a razor, I'm sure I could pass as Arne. Bring on the Stella and Go Canucks Go!

:wub: The $20 I greased your palm with to say that is in the mail!

Hey Cat and other Seb's fans, I think I read in the Straight

that the place has game nights (as in wild game, not hockey game).

Has anyone ever tried this? Or a meal other than breakfast,

for that matter. Just curious.

Yeah - Mr Cat and I spotted the wild game night ad posted on the till when we were waiting for a table the other weekend. IIRC, it runs until Nov. 19th. We're making good progress on our quest to eat our way through the encyclopaedia of indigenous North American even-toed ungulates, but figured we'd stop by and try out the menu anyway. I shall report back after Operation Caribou, of course.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

On doctor's orders - I am trying to eat out less. So yesterday I only had two meals out.

Lunch - Stella's On Commerial

Hard to guage since it was a quiet lunch. Shared some plates with Mooshmouse and it was very nice. I liked the Cobb Salad - their version comes tossed. With crispy bacon and avocado - well, its hard to screw things up.

Dinner - Chambar

Introduced myself that Quentin and asked about my free beer - but I decided to take a rain check on it. I think Quentin is serious about the beer thing... so awaken the inner frat-boy in you and head on over.

The food there never dissapoints me. Sat at the bar and I think it is actually the best seat in the house (as many other egullet people have pointed out). The bar is deep enough to hold all of the food I ended up ordering and still have a civilized conversation with my dining partner. Shrimp & harissa salad and Venison Carpaccio (holy mother was that good) - then Mussels Conglaise and Duck L'Orange (with nice bitter undertones - rather than tasting like Tang). All top notch.

The service was great and Mark the barman and his team were all very friendly, relaxed, and professional.

I think bar seating at Chambar is going to my regular thing.

last place I ate?

in the lunchroom at work where a good friend of mine made me a birthday cake with three layers using five different types of meat (short rib, chuck, sirloin, chorizo, turkey) and parsley mashed potato frosting.

some people do know me too well.

meatcake.jpg

WTF is that man ? that must be the most sinister thing i`ve seen in years. well done !

tt

The Mouse family has been doing a lot of dining out over the past month, largely due to the fact that our stovetop wasn't hooked up until a week-and-a-half after we moved in and that our kitchen still isn't 100% finished.

Working backwards for my last three meals, there's:

Pho Thy on Victoria Drive at 39th with the usual suspects on Wednesday for bahn mi and pho (excuse the lack of diacritical marks). Their mixed-meat bahn mi was excellent, very well stuffed. Excellent bread with just the right balance of crunch and doughiness. And I was pleasantly surprised by the clear, light sweetness of the soup broth. Best part of lunch? Getting the bill: lunch for 5 people was $39, and all of us were absolutely stuffed.

Blue Water Café with *Deborah* on Tuesday evening for dinner before Turandot. We took advantage of the Early Prix Fixe menu, excellent dining value at $35. Sipped on a cocktail while awaiting my dining partner, the name of which I've since forgotten. As a first course, I ordered the Green Pea Soup with double-smoked bacon, parmesan cream and morel mushroom/duck liver crostini. A little bit on the salty side for me, but still a nice way to warm my stomach on a rainy evening. *Deborah* and I both had the Free Range Chicken Breast as a main course; it was served with chanterelles mushrooms, sweet corn and artichoke hearts over mashed potatoes and bathed in an anchovy/red pepper sauce. Perfectly crisped chicken skin, nice flavour balance in the sauce. Wine pairing for the main dish was a Mt. Boucherie Summit Reserve Pinot Noir. Admittedly, not my favourite wine... a bit thin in my estimation for the earthiness of this dish. However, dessert was certainly the pièce-de-résistance: Mocha Praline Parfait served frozen with espresso anglaise. My, oh my. Chocolately, espresso-y, creamy goodness. After our first bite, we had to pause and unstick our eyeballs which had rolled to the backs of our heads. A pity that we had to rush through dessert so that we could get to the opera on time. I'll be ordering the parfait again, that's for darn sure.

And Tuesday lunch with canucklehead at Stella's. Ordered a few shared plates: Cobb Salad (one of the only acceptable ways to serve iceburg lettuce), "Cheater" Sushi (five morsels for $5 is a steal... ahi tuna, pickled ginger, wasabi and sushi rice loosely piled atop nori and drizzled with a sake/soy reduction), a cornet of Belgian Fries and Fire-grilled Jerk Chicken Skewers served with pineapple salsa and sweet-potato crisps. Of all the small plates, the chicken skewers was the only disappointment for me. Chicken was dry and overcooked, and the salsa lacked punch especially in comparison to the version that we had made at Monday night's Serious Foodie class. Nonetheless, Stella's has always been fairly reliable for me, a place on The Drive where I can drop in for consistently good, reasonably priced food.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Brunch this morning was at Bacchus, to celebrate a birthday. It was Mr Cat's first visit and he was so delighted with the decor and the food that he actually responded positively to my idea of going for the New Year's Eve gala. Considering we usually spend NYE doing the circuit of all the lame hipster Emily Carr student parties in the skeezy Woodward's area, this is a landmark day in the Cat family.

Myself and the birthday lady both had the smoked salmon and sun choke hash, which was just delicious. Two perfectly poached eggs atop sun chokes, a very generous poriton of cubed smoked salmon, and wee wee wee tiny potatoes. Papacat and Mr Cat both had the omelette du jour, which today featured chorizo and mushrooms, and Uncle Cat had the eggs benny with Nova Scotia lobster. Everyone loved their meals, though sadly I didn't manage to snag a bite of anyone else's. The omelettes were fresh and fluffy, and Papacat's black rye toast looked out of the world. Washed everything down with a Beaulieu Vinyards Semillon Blanc, and noshed on some chocolate truffles on nut cookies sent out by the kitchen in honour of the birthday. Returned to casa del cat to toast the birthday lady with some chapmagne, and polish off some mango and strawberry mousse cake from Anna's. This is hands-down my favourite cake in the world. It's so light it's practically health food.

Brunch yesterday at Milestone's to satisfy Mr Cat's eggs benny craving. I had a cornbread muffin and the California Spring Salad. As much as we belittle Milestone's around here, I freakin' love that salad. Strawberries, poppy-dusted goat cheese and little sweet pecans top off a bunch of greens in a light and sweet/savory mystery dressing.

Dinner the night before at the HSG with all Mr Cat's crazy half-relatives in tow. The new TVs are completely hot and provided excellent hockey viewing, and the food was amazing as always. We finally got around to trying a new menu item - the black and blue ahi tuna. Holy crap, was that ever awesome! Especially if you dragged a yam fry around in the remnants of the sauce. I had a hanger steak (delish, comme toujours), and was so full we had nary a inch of space left for GBP. Sorry Mamacat, GBP evangelist extraordinaire. I am a bad kitten. :smile:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Been a busy last couple of months in the Daddy-A household ... not a tonne of time for dining out (in the evenings at least with the lovely "J"). Of course heading into holiday season that will all change. Time to get out the elastic waisted pants :biggrin:

Wednesday: Lunch at Pondok Indonesian with Mooshmouse. Really good all round ... Tahu Sayur Isi (stuffed, deep fried tofu) and the Laksa were standouts. Perfect place to sit inside and eat spicey food on a rainy day.

Thursday: Lunch at Mui Gardens on Main with canucklehead. I'm not a huge fan of Sweet & Sour Pork (the "red sauce" always kinda scares me :unsure: ) but the dish at Mui was very good. I'll be enjoying leftovers for lunch today :raz:

Friday: Dinner at Cru. What can I say about this place that hasn't already been said? We missed the intrepid Mr. Taylor as he was up partaking in the debauchery known as Cornucopia, but we were well looked after. Took the lovely "J" and my brother and his wife (their first visit). Started with an amuse of beef tenderloin served on a "slaw" of some sort. My brother was cusious as to why we were getting something we hadn't ordered. I suggested he not question the gift and just enjoy. :laugh:

Prix fixe's all round - Standouts were the Tenderloin Carpaccio w/ the Caper Berries (who knew?) and the Herb-Crusted Lamb (all entres were excellent, these were just the best IMO). Wines were the '03 Quattro (forgot the vineyard - will edit later when I can look at the bill) and the '03 Yalumba Old Vine Granche. Desserts were the Bitter Chocolate Torte for my brother & sil, Goat Cheese Cake for "J", and the Almond Cake for your truly.

A couple thoughts on Cru ...

Easily one of the best values in Vancouver.

The more I eat here, the more I love the room. I was commenting last night that the "feel" of the room was the same that I wanted for our dining room at home. Classic yet comfortable.

Perfect portion sizes. Nobody felt over-stuffed nor under-fed. The sauces, in particular the cabernet mushroom demi served with my beef tenderloin, really add to that feeling of being "satisfied." So much flavour.

Highlight of the evening ... counting cougars.

A.

^Of the desserts, which was your favourite? I still haven't made it to Cru...I tried to make a reservation a few weeks ago, but they were all booked up! :smile:

Last Saturday:

Lunch--take-out items from Northern Delicacy in Aberdeen. Apparently, my parents told me they don't use MSG (or maybe I'm confusing this with another dim sum place in the food court...)

Last Sunday:

Bi-monthly take-out of curry beef brisket and Hainan chicken at Deer Garden.

Yesterday:

Dinner with my family at Empire Seafood in Richmond. Here are some pictures. My favourite dish was the crispy chicken, which was surprising since I usually find it rather dry at other restaurants. Last night's chicken was the stand-out for me--very moist, wonderfully crisp skin, fresh "chicken" flavour to the meat. Everything else was fine...but perhaps not as good as the dinners I've had at Kirin or SSW. Have read that SSW has gone down in terms of quality, but I haven't been there in at least 6 months, so I can't comment.

Last night's dinner:

-cold appetizer plate (jellyfish, sliced pork, smoked salmon, etc.)

-abalone with pea shoots

-shark fin soup

-lobster

-crispy chicken

-ling cod with Chinese ham and shiitake

-Fukien fried rice

-deep-fried crab claws

-scallops and shrimp, green beans

-glutinous rice balls with black sesame filling, red bean soup

Edited by Ling (log)

Friday: Dinner at Cru.  What can I say about this place that hasn't already been said?  We missed the intrepid Mr. Taylor as he was up partaking in the debauchery known as Cornucopia, but we were well looked after.  Took the lovely "J" and my brother and his wife (their first visit).  Started with an amuse of beef tenderloin served on a "slaw" of some sort.  My brother was cusious as to why we were getting something we hadn't ordered.  I suggested he not question the gift and just enjoy. :laugh:

Prix fixe's all round -  Standouts were the Tenderloin Carpaccio w/ the Caper Berries (who knew?) and the Herb-Crusted Lamb (all entres were excellent, these were just the best IMO).  Wines were the '03 Quattro (forgot the vineyard - will edit later when I can look at the bill) and the '03 Yalumba Old Vine Granche.  Desserts were the Bitter Chocolate Torte for my brother & sil, Goat Cheese Cake for "J", and the Almond Cake for your truly.

The more I eat here, the more I love the room.  I was commenting last night that the "feel" of the room was the same that I wanted for our dining room at home.  Classic yet comfortable.

Perfect portion sizes.  Nobody felt over-stuffed nor under-fed.  The sauces, in particular the cabernet mushroom demi served with my beef tenderloin, really add to that feeling of being "satisfied."  So much flavour.

A.

Thanks for the kind words, Arne.

The wine was a Montgras "Quatro" 2003 from Chile. A carmenere-malbec-cabernet blend. They have a couple of single varietal wines on the market here, but I was impressed with this premium blend. ( a restricted listing ).

That Yalumba "bush vine" Grenache is one great juicy red.

It sounds like we had one of those impromptu "wild game" nights while you were in!

~Mark

Edited by eatbc (log)

The last three places were

The Bengal Lounge at the Empress for their curry buffet. We took my husband's sister, brother-in-law and niece out for lunch as they have just moved to Victoria and hadn't "done" the Empress yet.

It's still a great room, the buffet was good (lamb, chicken, tandoori, daal, assorted condiments and chutneys with mango mousse cake for dessert).

For those of us who didn't like curry, the sandwich plate with shrimp mousse, salmon, chicken, cucumber and other assorted sandwiches was delicious. Yes, it's overpriced, but they LOVED it. Being there on Remembrance Day right after the ceremony with the place full of veterans and their families added to the occasion.

Ali Baba Pizza in Victoria - I'd never ordered from them before - nice crisp, not too thick crust and intriguing toppings (smoked salmon, artichoke,and spinach

for example - sounds meh but is surprisingly good).

Eugene's in Victoria before heading back up island. My husband had to get his calamari fix, but the portion size has gone way down! Not sure if this is a one time problem or not.

Have to hit Zambri's next time I'm down.

Edited by Brenda (log)

Ali Baba Pizza in Victoria - I'd never ordered from them before - nice crisp, not too thick crust and intriguing toppings (smoked salmon, artichoke,and spinach

for example - sounds meh but is surprisingly good).

Doesn't sound meh at all, sounds delicious, excellent combination! What kind of sauce do they use? :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

The more I eat here, the more I love the room.  I was commenting last night that the "feel" of the room was the same that I wanted for our dining room at home.  Classic yet comfortable.

Perfect portion sizes.  Nobody felt over-stuffed nor under-fed.  The sauces, in particular the cabernet mushroom demi served with my beef tenderloin, really add to that feeling of being "satisfied."  So much flavour.

A.

I have to agree Daddy-A, it's such an elegant yet soothing room to dine in. That's actually what I focused on in my review of it. I haven't seen any cougars on any of my visits though.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Well, it's unfortunate my first dining out in a while was so lacklustre..but what can you do :unsure:

Last night was a friend's birthday dinner at Section 3 in Yaletown. My friend swears she's had phenomenal food there, but I've only previously had their pizza which was adequate and serves its purpose as pre-drinking stomach filler. I'd eaten a big lunch so only ordered a salad which claimed it had extrasharp jack cheese and...pancetta, I think (there was so little of it I could hardly tell :hmmm: ). The cheese, well what little there was was so tasteless, it may as well have been tofu. Don't get me wrong, I like tofu, but I didn't happen to order it. And it came in a deep square dish that made cutting up the large hunk of grilled fennel (which, to be fair, was quite nice) very awkward. I do like the atmosphere there though, especially the "nerd" sign over hte bar.

Then it was off to the new Yaletown Death by Chocolate for birthday dessert (note to self: DO NOT trust this friend's judgment on food) . Well I wasn't disappointed as my expectations were low. Happily, the service was excellent.

Today it was off to Granville Island where I had a lovely Italian vegetable soup at that cafe on the waterfront (can't remember the name), and finished off with a wonderful cranberry tart from Terra Breads.

I'm on vacation this week and the better half (mr. freak? the big freak? :biggrin: ) is back in town, so will no doubt have more and better to report!

**Melanie**

Busy weekend as I had a friend visiting from Seattle:

Thursday Night - Musashi (next to Kintaro on Denman)

------------------

I was told that they had really good raw stuff. We ordered some Toro Sashimi and some suchi (Salmon, Tamago, Saba, Hamachi) and then some rolls (spicy tuna, BC roll).

The toro was ok, not as melt-in-your mouth as I was hoping for. The rest of the sushi was very good. The salmon was SO red...kinda made me wonder where it came from. The Tamago was a bit too sweet but the spicy tuna roll was awesome. Yumm! BC roll was average.

Friday Morning - Hatch (Broadway by Kingsway)

-----------------

I posted in the breakfast thread here

Friday Night - Mark's Fiasco (Broadway and Bayswater)

--------------

Lots of drinking due to 10-year reunion. Also ordered three pizza's one of which was very memorable - I think it was the Mediterranean. Really tasty as agreed by friends who destroyed the pizza before I could get a second slice - the vultures.

We also had pizza at around 3am outside of The Fringe. You know..standard. Really good when really drunk. The greese on top wasn't really noticed.

Saturday Night - Nu (False creek)

------------------

Nu has been getting a lot of mixed reviews as of late and I can tell from the Nu Thread that some people have been quite dissapointed. I too have had mixed feelings about Nu but my friend from Seattle wanted to try the beer-oyster valve thing and I really wanted a "junkanoo" involving ginger beer and a mixture of rum and other fine liquers.

I am happy to report that many of Nu's shortcomings have improved significantly:

- Slow to seat - Solved. We arrived and were seated within 3 minutes (on a saturday night at 9:30pm).

- Where's the waitor? - Solved, she came right away, asked if we would like water or order drinks. We asked her to grab the water and come back. She was back within 4 minutes and took our drink orders. She was very attentive and made sure we were never dry of liquid.

- Food - Everything we ordered was quite good. The chicken popsicles were a bit cold and the cheese was no longer melted. The cheese stuffed crackers were good. Liquid cheese is always good. The fried ribs were surprisingly good. I was ready to lick the plate. The Beer/Oyster was ok, my oyster was too small and I got too much beer in the shot. The Fois Gras Croquettes were enjoyed by all - there is a theme to this place, yummy goodness stuffed in a shell of sorts.

Sunday Morning - Melriches

------------------

I posted in the breakfast thread here

Wow. Really good potatoes...I had to say it again as I had a rant somewhere on how restaurants never good the potatoes right IMHO.

The sandwich I had was touted "world famous" and it was pretty good but not what I would call "world famous". They did have a "yaletown special" which is essentially eggs benny on a bagel - that was good.

Hmm thats not the last THREE places...I can't count...

:biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Last three places:

-----------------------

Mistral Bistro:

Very good French comfort food. I had Nicoise-sytle this-crust onion tart. I am used to puff pastry as the base but this thin crust version was quite good with the sweet carmelized onions punctuated by olives and anchovies. My friend had the Duck Platter which was also pretty good. Standouts in the duck platter were the Pate in crepine and the Fois gras terrine.

For the main, I had the much talked-about cassoulet while my other friends had the rib-eye and the duck breast. The cassoulet was nicely seasoned with a whole duck confit leg that was perfect crisp-tender. My friend's duck breast was a standout. It was done med-rare and was extremely tender. The rib-eye was good but I think I would rather go to a steakhouse or HSG for hangar steak for a piece of boeuf. Of course the accompanying pomme frites were yummy.

For dessert, we had the mango clafoutis (special that evening instead of blueberry) and warm apple tart. The clafoutis was similar to light bread pudding with chunks of mangoes inside and the apple tart was very good.

Overall, it's a very good French Bistro and a nice addition to Bistro Pastis and La Regalade as my favorite Bistro's in YVR.

------------------------------

Matzusushi (NE corner of North Rd and Lougheed Hwy)

This is one of my favorite places for cheap sushi and sashimi. It's a bonus that it is close to my workplace. The sashimi is very good and they have them on display in the fridge. You select the piece you want and they will slice and serve it to you. I had a meltingly good piece of toro and a tempura udon.

-------------------------------

Top Gun in Richmond for Dim Sum

Decent dim-sum and 20% or 30% off before 11:00. The must-order dish there is the home made BBQ pork (char siu) that they make out of pork cheeks. It has a nice bite to it because of the fat content from the pork cheek.

Alex

Edited by achiu (log)

My friend had the Duck Platter which was also pretty good.  Standouts in the duck platter were the Pate in crepine and the Fois gras terrine.

For the main, I had the much talked-about cassoulet while my other friends had the rib-eye and the duck breast.  The cassoulet was nicely seasoned with a whole duck confit leg that was perfect crisp-tender.  My friend's duck breast was a standout.  It was done med-rare and was extremely tender.  The rib-eye was good but I think I would rather go to a steakhouse or HSG for hangar steak for a piece of boeuf.  Of course the accompanying pomme frites were yummy.

I told my friend about Mistral, and he went a few weeks ago and ordered pretty much the same things as you did--the Duck Platter (which he enjoyed very much), the cassoulet, and the steak. He also had another appetizer, the "Mediterranean black olive spread with croutons, Puree of creamed Cod, Anchovy and garlic dipping sauce with crisp celery". Interestingly, he did not enjoy the cassoulet as much as he thought he would have, but thought his gf's steak was "one of the best" steaks he's had in a long time.

I also told him to check out La Regalade and he went the following week...he liked the food overall at Mistral a little better, but he enjoyed his meal at La Regalade too.

I also told him to check out La Regalade and he went the following week...he liked the food overall at Mistral a little better, but he enjoyed his meal at La Regalade too.

I really like the roast duck at La Regalade. They slow roast it so the meat is fork tender but they finish it at high temp so some of the skin gets crispy. An order is half a duck and they usually cook it in a fruit (pears, apples, peaches, whatever they have fresh) sauce. They also have a scallop and carmelized onion tart that is really good. The scallops are sliced thin (carpacio style) and placed on top at the end with just enough time in the oven to warm them up.

^The scallop and onion tart caught my eye when I was perusing the menu a few weeks ago. I've always associated onions that have been cooked down with heartier meats like beef cheeks, and short ribs for example. But that's something I would order, because I haven't thought of scallops on a fall tart before. I love duck with fruit. The duck at Parkside is also very good and tender. Guess I know what I'll be getting once I make it down to Mistral. :wink: Thanks.