• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 2)

Ohana Hawaiian BBQ - This new restaurant opened up on Kingsway in the end of June. It offers up typical Hawaiian plate lunch. I had the BBQ plate, which they call a mix of BBQ Rib, teriyaki beef, and BBQ Chicken. The BBQ Rib was a single strip of kalbi (same as you would find at most Korean restaurants) that had slightly sweeter marinade. It was a bit overcooked and slightly tougher than at most Korean places. The teriyaki beef was a paper thin slice of beef (similar to the style used for bulgogi), and incredibly overcooked to the consistency of beef jerky almost. The BBQ chicken was the best of the lot, a thin slice of chicken breast with an almost korean flavoured marinade. But the chicken was tender and tasty. The dish was served with 2 scoops of rice and a scoop of macaroni salad. As part of their opening special you get a free soda with your meal. Overall I think I'll pass on returning.

Vancouver 1st Hu Nan - Thanks to nondual for this recommendation. Had the sliced pork with cabbage, chili, and garlic. This dish has a bunch of other vegetables and some thinly sliced tofu mixed in as well. It had the perfect blend of spices (including some surprises of chunks of ginger mixed in), which turned up the heat to the right level and highlighted the flavour of the pork and cabbage perfectly. Also had the smoked pork with white chili. Nondual was right - really nice and spicy! HOT! The white chili highlighted the smokey flavours of the pork quite well. Will definitely return again.

Be Ga Ne - Had the full on 11 course meal "royal Korean cuisine". It included a jellyfish appetizer, squash soup, BBQ sablefish, BBQ kalbi, BBQ eel, those Korean crepes (I forget the name) that they roll at the table with about 6 fillings, several little Korean pancakes (again, sorry, I forget the name), 2 soups (served a palette cleansers between various courses), as well as 12 of those little side dishes which had some that are hard to find at other restaurants, and a homemade vanilla ice cream to wrap things up. The BBQ sablefish was the highlight - perfectly tender and smokey from the BBQ without being overpowered by the smoke. Will definitely return.

Cheers!

The last three places that I ate all took place on Commercial Drive (in the span of a mere two hours)

Stella's Tap and Tapas: Three of us feasted on a fabulous array of small plates and washed it all down with Strongbows and mineral water.

Memphis Blues: The best home-made pecan pie!

Thai Away Home: some curry take-away for later.

P.S. A couple of marzipan-pistachio chocolate cups from Dutch Girl chocolates snuck in there, and are worth a mention. . .

"People go to restaurants for hundreds of reasons, and food is only one of them." -Ruth Reichl

Last week, I went to Shanghai River in Richmond. I thought the room was decorated quite well although I found that the tables clashed with the modern wall mouldings and light fixtures. I suppose round tables were a requirement. We had a dizzying array of dishes – a cold plate, dumplings with shark’s fin broth (quite divine!), pan fried pork pot stickers, pork broth, deep fried pork cutlets, sautéed jumbo prawns, deep fried rice with broth ladled over top it, long green beans with spicy black bean sauce, and battered white fish with seaweed. For dessert, there were deep fried dumplings with red bean paste.

The next Friday, I went to Adesso Bistro for lunch. I’d previously been there for brunch and dinner and returned for their great pasta. Once again, I think that it’s the ideal neighbourhood restaurant – elegant with cozy charm. I had the braised beef short rib with pappardelle noodles – richly flavourful. My dining companions were all pleased with their respective pastas, paninis, and pizza.

And today, I finally checked out Red Door Pan Asian Grill for lunch. The meal pleased me greatly. Most “pan Asian” restaurants disappoint but I thought the food was quite solid with flavours as clean and sharp as the decor. Our server was incredibly attentive and helpful; she made numerous suggestions and checked in on us many times throughout the meal. We shared the calamari with a lime, cilantro, and chilli dip, a Cantonese chicken salad, the Singapore street noodles, and the seven flavour beef. I think the latter was my least favourite but it still lived up to its “flavourful” expectations. The Singapore street noodles’ soy/curry combination was subtly pleasing and the salad a refreshing contrast to our other heavier menu choices.

Also, in the last few weeks, I also dined out at Yuji’s Japanese Tapas (enjoyable meal – inventive - but portions were embarrassingly small for my appetite, the Ordinary Café (food service was quite ordinary – we had to wait an hour for our straight forward lunch items), and Wild Ginger. None were absolute standouts and hence I’m not giving them extensive e-gullet coverage!

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Just back from four days in wet and rainy Tofino. What we ate:

Wednesday night dinner was at On The Rocks, the bar at the Wickininnish Inn. My son a pizza from the kids menu, my wife had a salad, and we both had a bowl of seafood chowder. I prefer my chowder a little thicker and more rich, but the bowl was chock full of big chunks of seafood and that made up for it, to be sure. Our first time to the Wick - beautiful room and I could easily see myself sitting beside the fire some wintry afternoon sipping red wine and watching the waves crash on the rocks.

Breakfast Tuesday was cinnamon buns and coffee from Common Loaf. My flying instructor told me that the cin buns from here were with the cost of the flight all by themselves. Ours were very dry and stale. YMMV.

Dinner on Monday night was a take-out pizza from Breakers in Tofino. Not really gourmet, but very cheesy with thick-sliced toppings and a just-thick-enough sauce with a strong tomato flavour. Now the pizza is worth the flight.......

BTW, driving home today we passed a sign advertising Bratwurst and Currywurst. :blink: The mind boggles....

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Lee, where did you see the currywurst sign? It was a street food staple during a trip to Germany / Austria in 1990, and I have been in withdrawl for the past 15 years. I feel like a dog who's just spotted the neighbor's cat on a lazy stroll.

Currywurst can be had here in Chilliwack at a couple of different places...or at least it was available as recently as a month ago when I was at the German sausage maker. I will be out and about on the weekend and will keep an eye out.

Lee...we had a similar experience with Common Ground...and the woman behind the counter was incredibly rude when I asked if they had any sugar free beverages...she just gaped at me like I was something under a rock and told me 'we certainly would NOT carry anything with SACCHARIN!'....and we had some okay-ish roti rolls that were inexplicably served with sour cream and Louisiana hot sauce. Best meals we had there were at Sobo.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Lee, where did you see the currywurst sign? It was a street food staple during a trip to Germany / Austria in 1990, and I have been in withdrawl for the past 15 years. I feel like a dog who's just spotted the neighbor's cat on a lazy stroll.

Somewhere in Coombs, I believe. Neither my wife nor I remember exactly, as we were still laughing too hard from Goats-on-the-roof and the giant lawn gnome....

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I was praying that the weather would not be so good as to guilt me into getting up early this morning so I was pleased to see the clouds, had a little sleep-in, then did my favorite Saturday morning routine. Make large cup of tea and take back to bed with the first of my 3 Saturday newspapers. Watch Global TV's Saturday Morning Chef (this week it was Morton's, next week it's Tina Fineza, formally the Exec Chef at Bin 942 and the new Exec Chef for George, a new Ultra Lounge opening later this summer (a partnership with owners of Brix and Seattle's best Coffee) Second cup of tea and now halfway through the National Post. Third cup of tea and time to get up, still in PJ's, and hit the Globe and Mail. Breakfast was left over Kolachay's from yesterday's lunch takeout - New peppercorn beef was yummy! Brian you are right, they are better heated up in a microwave then conventional oven. Will that be enough get my microwave fixed after 2 years of it uselessly sitting there taking up space in my kitchen? The newspapers took me through to CBC's Vinyl Café show (10:00 am Saturday morning's on CBC Two and 12:00 Sunday's on CBC One) The Saturday morning show is followed by this amazing music anthology show which I love, then Kasey Wilson's and Tony Gismondi's Best of Food and Wine Show at 12:00 on Cfun Radio -Are you beginning to see why I like rainy Saturdays!

Had dinner at La Bodega last night for the first time in about 15 years. It was easy to order as the menu hasn't changed since then. We used to go there for late night dinner after work when I was still in the operations side of the restaurant business. We were treating the couple who have rented their apartment in Portugal to us for the month of September, and I must say it was the perfect place to have to pick up the tab. Very inexpensive, great value, good food. Nothing earth shattering but well cooked Calamari, fresh tomatoes with sweet red onion, chicken, prawns in garlic (I have a garlic hangover this morning) lots of bread for dipping and a great potato dish with tomato sauce. The food comes out fast and has lots of small dishes; in fact I think they may have been the first Tapas restaurant in Vancouver. The small dishes and simple food is perfect for kids as well. We had tons of Sangria, started with red but actually preferred the white sangria (the white sangria at Savory Coast is also just delicious by the way), tons of food and our bill for 4 was under $120.00 with tip.

The two of us dropped into C afterwards to see if it was late enough that they would sneak us in for dessert, which they did. Lovely table outside, a delicious Raspberry Daquois and really interesting chocolate dessert that I ordered because it was garnished with Fleur de Sel. I love that sweet and salty combination, and besides it would go with a glass of red wine, a Benzinger Merlot that was fabulous!

OK maybe it's a wine hangover and not a garlic hangover...

We stopped in at Brix after Bard on the Beach Wednesday night after seeing the opening night of Hamlet in the smaller studio stage. It was fabulous! The best Hamlet I have seen. Modern costume, no set, just a plain stage. The 2nd half was riveting! Brix is my client, but I have to say that was the best pizza I have had in ages, might even be the best ever. I had the vegetarian pizza, as I liked the combination of veg and cheese, then added Chorizo, as I am a carnivore!

My guest had the burger, which I tasted, and it was great. The best was we were able to sit outside and have dinner at midnight, and the place was packed! Favorite place in town for a burger though is the Sailing Club at Jericho. Can't say if it's the best burger or not as I have yet to try a Vera's, but it is certainly the best location to have a burger!

Our guests last night gave us some excellent dining tips. She is Chinese, he Portuguese. They eat in the neighborhood a lot, and like many people who are really into food go to specific restaurants for specific dishes.

They recommend "Kevin" at Victoria and 37th for spicy Szechwan style food and the wraps; Moi Garden (various locations in Richmond, Coquitlam, Main Street and Vic Drive for the curry or free range chicken, and Ho Gee Kee on Frazer and 43rd for the crab or lobster in rice dish. My dining companion, who is also Chinese, got very animated at the mention of the crab dish at Ho Gee Kee saying he drives in from Maple Ridge just for that dish. Our Portuguese guest told us the Senior Rooster (terrible name) on Rupert Street has excellent Portuguese food. Apparently the Chef is a 4-5 Star Chef from Europe…

Dinner at Lumiere tonight so I had better get some exercise in this afternoon and preburn some calories!

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Ho Gee Kee on Frazer and 43rd for the crab or lobster in rice dish. My dining companion, who is also Chinese, got very animated at the mention of the crab dish at Ho Gee Kee saying he drives in from Maple Ridge just for that dish. 

Is this a different place than Ho Yuen Ke on Fraser? Or one in the same?

Cheers!

Kaztenjammer Cafe

Spent the morning in English Bay looking for the elusive Tall Ships. We saw two. Where are the rest? Anyway, we were entertained by watching a seagull catch and eat its breakfast which involved it stabbing a flat fish though the middle and sucking out its intestines. As we walked along Denman I was surprised at how few shops are left selling anything other than food. Anyhow, my dad had a good laugh at sight of the condom shop, asking if they do fittings, hardy har.

Mom requested we have German food for lunch, so we headed to the Katzenjammer Café on West 10th. I had a glass of Dr. Loosen Riesling, (which the waiter pronounced "Loozen", so now I know the proper way to order it). We were delighted to have a German waiter on working holiday. I quizzed him on currywurst and he said that where he's from in East Germany, near Berlin, they make a sauce with ketchup and curry powder and serve it over a skinless sausage on a bun. Well, that wasn't quite what I was imagining, but sounds interesting! The wine was okay-I like a bit more backbone in my riesling.

Mom ordered the starter-size goulash, and potato pancakes with spinach and feta. Dad had the potato and bacon soup and one of the sausages- I forget which one. I ordered the duck with orange jus which is served with spaetzle and braised red cabbage. Dad liked his soup, but mom and I declared it a bit starchy. Mom's goulash was tasty, very meaty with a thick sauce. I like Budapest's goulash better. Her rosti were overcooked, almost burnt, but she said they were all right. My duck was by far the best dish of all. The sauce was a reduced duck jus with a touch of orange and the bird was cooked to perfection. I slathered pieces of meat and jus on my spaetzle and devoured it with forkfuls of cabbage. I liked the cabbage-subtly spiced with cloves et al and not over-cooked. The spaetzle was just the way I like it-a little crispy on the edges. Must be my German roots, as I have a great affinity to this kind of food. (In fact, I've been called a 'katzenjammer kid' on occasion.) Portions are huge, so it's very nice that they have kids meals and senior's portions. I've taken my son here before and he was quite happy.

We popped over to Mix for some take-out goodies. I wasn't impressed with the chocolate cupcakes-dry and tasteless, but oh, how I love that chocolate ripple scone. Lots of good sales on the street as they are tearing shops down to build yet more condos. If I won the lottery I'd buy my parents a condo on that street. I think they'd happily be regulars at the Katzenjammer Café.

We're off to Sooke on Monday, so looking forward to some food and wine adventures. We're going to try and stop at Marley Winery which we really enjoyed last summer on our wine and farm tour on the Island.

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I've got about 2 weeks' worth of eating to catch up on here. Highlights include, in reverse chronological order:

Dinner tonight was at the Grand View Szechuan restaurant, which is the establishment formerly known as the New Grand View. I was slightly disappointed that they did not elect to go with my suggestion of calling it the New New Grand View. To add to my disappointment, the hot towel machine appears to have been lost in the move from Broadway up to Fraser & 26th, so no more indvidually-wrapped steaming washcloths with your oranges and fortune cookies. Oh well, the menu's still the same and they brought the funny little coloured lamps with them. Forgot to ask about the new delivery radius. My bad. Food tastes same. Had soem yummy aspargus in black bean sauce - nice, crunchy bright green asparagus. No floppy stalks here.

Stuffed a bunch of cheese in my mouth at McClennan Creek Dairy's family fun day today. I probably should have washed my hands after petting the goats and before eating the cheese, but ingesting goat molecules seems to have done me no harm. I suppose they keep their goats quite clean. Their little shop is worth checking out - they had about 10 or 12 different types of goat cheese available, including a yummy rinded goat cheese with an ash goat stamped on the top. I was boring and bought some feta and some black pepper chevre, though there were many other exotic things to be had. An excellent stop if you are hungry for cheese and are out Abbotsford way. Our day also took us to Wisbey's Veggies, which is open at long last. A great source for wonderful local produce (inclduing purple cauliflower!) at good prices. They had some nice homegrown herbs too, including lovage, which I've never even heard of. Really nice sage too, which I will pick up next time I do fried sage leaves (grab sage leaf in tongs, dip into hot oil for a couple of seconds, drain a bit on paper towel, serve over whatever - sautéed pears with blue cheese and fried sage = wonderful starter.). We also stopped at The Ye Olde Little Country Heritage Shoppe and General Old-time Happy Family Fun Store. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's some permutation of the above and is on No. 5 Rd. in Abbotsford. Lots of free range frozen chicken and pork products, and a whole display fridge full of Little Qualicum Dairy cheeses.

The Yalumba tasting at the Hammie on Tuesday was great. Fine company, in the form of several eGulleteers (and my Mom, who we peer pressured into joining the forum and who should be appearing shortly as mamacat), and great food and wine. We tried the Viognier with a wonderful vichyoisse, rich with mussels and saffron. We drank another round of the Viognier for the Channel 4 camera guy and had to do a couple of takes toasting Shaw TV. I hope he wasn't scared of us. Crazy foodies. Tried a very alcoholic (and good) Grenache paired with a stuffed round o' veal, and an excellent Cabernet Sauvignon with a bit of duck on Cambonzola polenta. Polenta never had it so good. The Cab Sauv was the undisputed winner of the evening. I won two bottles of vino for getting the grand prize trivia question right (What was the wine rep's last name?), one of which Deborah and Ling and I demolished the next night while scarfing down some fantastic homemade Deborah cake, and one of which was consumed with last night's steak. Mamacat, Deborah and I hung around post-tasting to pack away some appetizers and a portion of GBP.

Sunday was my birthday. Hooray for birthdays! We started our day at Seb's Market Café. It was our first visit, and we will be back many times. I had the omelette with caramelized apple and bacon, which was to die for. Great combination of flavours, and a wonderful, perfect, fluffy omelette. Great artisan bread toasts with homemade preserves (of undetermined flavour, but I suspect some combination fo cranberry and apple) on the side, and one of the few portions of breakfast potatoes I've actually liked. Normally breakfast potatoes make me want to crawl back into bed again after eating them, but these were great. Crispy, but with none of the grease cesspools that are murder on those hangover breakfast mornings. Mr. Cat had their eggs benedict, which are served on fluffy country biscuits. Fantastic. Good coffee too.

As much as we like to eat our breakfasts at the local Melriche's, I loathe their coffee. It tastes sharp, and sort of skunky.

I didn't eat lunch so as to leave room for dinner at Parkside. We were all Parkside virgins, and just like Seb's, we will be back. Again and again. And again. Having planned ahead and having left a void in my tummy, I was the only one of the 5 of us who ate all the 3 courses. There is no room for restraint when it comes to birthday dinners. Started with a prawn and scallop tortellini in a lobster bisque - wonderful. Virtually the whole table went for the venison tenderloin medallions for the main. Again, fantastic. And a round of ducle de leche caramel flans for dessert. I had packed away a fair amount of wine so the extent of my commentary on this meal is "Yum. It was awesome. YUM. Fantastic". Nice cozy, unpretentious spot, and top-notch service.

A few days before that was a birthday dinner for Papacat at Memphis Blues. Neither health violations nor fear of a clogged artery can keep my Dad away from this place. 6 of us made a pathetic attempt at the Elvis Platter, and there were enough leftovers to be shared between 3 households (and amply, I might add.) When I'm actually at the restaurant, I poke at the sausage for a bit, eat a bit of chicken, and a few slabs of cornbread. I think the food always tastes better the next day, when you're picking it out of the takeout container straight out of the fridge. The grease has congealed so you're absolved of the psychological scarring that comes with ingesting glistening torrents of animal fat, and there's just some kind of primal pleasure associated with clandestinely snacking in the glow of the open refridgerator door.

I think that about wraps it up. I was stuck in Detroit, which is a cultural and gastronomic hellhole, so I missed the C luncheon and the Microbrew tasting (shakes fist in general direction of Detroit).

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

The grease has congealed so you're absolved of the psychological scarring that comes with ingesting glistening torrents of animal fat, and there's just some kind of primal pleasure associated with clandestinely snacking in the glow of the open refridgerator door.

Who says glistening torrents of animal fat aren't a primal pleasure?! :wub:

Happy belated, Jenn.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Addendum to my long-winded post above: the feta from McClennan Creek Dairy is exceptionally good. At this very moment, it is melting atop a Greek pizza in my oven. I ate a bit (ok, a small handful) as I was putting the pizza together, and it is really is fantastic. It comes vaccum-packed and, since it's not passing its time bobbing along in a sea of brine, the flavour of the cheese itself is much more prominent (unlike many fetas, which taste like they've spent several years in Davy Jones' locker.) Crumbles beautifully, and the cheese itself is less sharp/briney and more warm salty goat. Mmmmm... warm salty goat.....

Jenn

Wow, it really is amazing how much some of you can eat! And how often! I am impressed!

Went to La Terrazza this week on the recommendation of a friend who received a notice of the restaurants 7 year anniversary promotion. 7 different appetizers and 7 different wines, all at $7. Supposed to just be in their lounge but they had no problem letting us sit on the patio and order from the special menu (we asked first)

We had 5 of the 7 items between 2 of us, and that was almost too much (though not for some of you based on your comments!)

The items ranged from a small (but still good value) plate of 3 fresh oysters with various accoutrements, to a tomato and bocconcini salad that was fabulous to a really sublime pasta bolgnese dish that was quite a large portion for the price.

The salad used regular bocconcini rather then the buffalo mozzarella that same salad uses on their main menu but it was still excellent, but the bolognese sauce was the same as the dining room menu and it was amazing! I understand they make their bolognese with finely ground tenderloin! It was perfect with a Chianti available by the glass. The other 2 dishes were a house made sausage (apparently made by the chef's family who have a farm in the interior) with a creamy polenta. We had a scallop dish that was wonderful - my friend liked that one the best. I as you may have guessed, loved the pasta bolgnese.

We had a beautiful fresh fruit dish that we shared for dessert that had gooseberries in it! I haven't eaten gooseberries since I was a little girl and picked them off the bushes in my parent's backyard, delicious! The topped it with a basil gelato that they get from that great Gelato place on the East side, can't recall the name, you know, the one with all those wild flavours like blue cheese and walnut, balsamic vinegar, garlic!

Anyway, we loved the little menu, the food was great and the value excellent. Had a peak at their regular menu which seemed very nice, will have to go back and try that one night.

We also stopped at The Ye Olde Little Country Heritage Shoppe and General Old-time Happy Family Fun Store. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's some permutation of the above and is on No. 5 Rd. in Abbotsford. Lots of free range frozen chicken and pork products, and a whole display fridge full of Little Qualicum Dairy cheeses.

It's called the Little Farmhouse :smile: and is attached to the Happy Hens Hatchery.

Next time you are out this way, keep coming to Chilliwack and visit the Happy Goats...they have a good selection of McLennan's as well as a host of other goaty goodness!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

This week:

-a rather forgettable take-out dish of chicken curry my brother bought for me (pieces of dark chicken meat simmered until they were rather dry in a very watered-down sauce)

-Sushi King: cheap take-out sushi en route to my friend's house. I haven't eaten here in years. The tuna sashimi was gray. Quite bad.

-Earl's: Ok, I had a date but by the time I had dinner with my family (complete with the Frog Commissary carrot cake--made by yours truly :wink: ) it was almost 11:00p.m. So my date picked me up and asked me where I wanted to grab dessert...I knew it was probably too late, but I suggested swinging by West and then Cin Cin's (both closed!) before ending up at Earl's across the street. I had the Yalumba Cab. Sauv. and their version of an apple pie--pastry was a cross between brioche and puff pastry, apple filling was a bit boring (not enough spice, apples rather mushy), topped with some decent vanilla ice-cream, swirls of caramel around the plate.

Ho Gee Kee on Frazer and 43rd for the crab or lobster in rice dish. My dining companion, who is also Chinese, got very animated at the mention of the crab dish at Ho Gee Kee saying he drives in from Maple Ridge just for that dish. 

Is this a different place than Ho Yuen Ke on Fraser? Or one in the same?

Cheers!

Hi Vancouver Lee,

I can only assume it is the same place as the recommendation came from someone else and I just wrote it down phonetically. Surely there can't be two places that sounds that similar at 43 and Fraser? Thanks!

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Some time ago: Beach House, on a Sunday afternoon after hiking Hollyburn Peak. These days I have to haul Chocoholic Jr. on my back up mountains, he is comfortably seated in a rather complex contraption strapped to my back. Good for the legs, the child weighs in at a healthy 26 pounds these days, add to that the 5 pound contraption and various items his mother stuffs in it. Much huffing and puffing results. Our hiking companions have a similarly aged little one so her father is in the same boat. Anyway, we arrive at the Beach House, covered in mud, exhausted, hungry and with two energetic almost two year olds in tow. We dominated the (almost empty) patio, only managing to break one glass. It was that magic time in between lunch and dinner so we munched on appies and drank Joie Chardonnay and lots of water. It was slightly chaotic but very enjoyable. Thanks to the staff there for coping with our unruly offspring. Andrew told me later he spotted us on the patio (he wasn't working that day) and feared the worst since we had the most junior waiter. No worries, he did a cracking job.

Last week: Earl's on top. Casual meal with an old friend. I was really impressed by the striploin special I had, the anise-flavored reduction it was served with was very tasty and the beef tender and flavorful. The Earl's sized mango Margarita went down well. I love patios in the summer, too bad they are always full of smokers. :angry:

Last night: Chambar with two buddies. I took the day off and went for a drive with a friend. Whistler, Lillooet, Lytton, Boston Bar, Hope. Lots of windy back country roads, gorgeous views and liberal interpretation of the local speed limits :wink: . 6 hours later in Vancouver I was parched and very hungry. Sitting at the (Cham)bar, sampling Belgium beer was exactly what I needed. Our table took longer than expected so we were treated to a free round of beers and later free appies (it took quite a while). I am not a Poutine fan, but their version with Szechuan peppercorns and a reduction of some kind is very good. The rest of the food was great as always, my two friends were both Chambar first timers and both very impressed, vowing to return. I had the game trio, elk, venison and figs wrapped in wild board bacon. Paired with a Chimay Red, this was perfection. Chocolate mousse with their Finit martini for dessert finished me off.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Just got back from a fantastic dinner at Bin 941. It was Mr. Cat's first time there, and he loved it. It was my ass-tillionth time there, and I, as always, loved it. I wouldn't wait 40min outside a men's bathroom for many other restaurants in this town, that's for sure.

I started with a "Bingria", their version of sangria. Red wine, a bit of ice wine, some apricot brandy, and lots of chopped apple, orange, and even a few raspberries. Mr. Cat commenced consumption of a bottle of the Yalumba Viognier, based solely on the strength of my recommendation afetr the last HSG wine tasting. He enjoyed it thoroughly, as did I, after downing the Bingria in the proverbial one fell swoop.

We ended up being the accidental beneficiaries of a misplaced pork order, which was quite delicious. Accidental free pork is really the tastiest of the porcine dishes. That was followed by our actual orders, some scallop and prawn tournedos as well as an ahi tuna and chow mein deal. Both were delicious, especially the leek tempura galette thingamob that accompanied the crustaceans. It was like the Emily Post of onion rings - totally refined. Finished up with the phyllo-ed beef tenderloin that, while incredibly good, will never match the sheer orgasma-tude of the tenderloin at the Taste of Fiction waiterblog dinner. Drank the Grey Monk Pinot Auxerrois with that. We couldn't get ourselves into the red spirit tonight, but the two whites were exemplary - and budget-friendly - choices.

Breakfast was the usual lazy-ass foray to Melriche's in Yaletown. Yummy apple cinnamon pancakes (cinnamon pancake with big slabs of apple smushed on top) and a booth big enough for two to spread the morning paper across.

The <insert gratuitous polysyllabic word here> preantepenultimate </pretentious> meal I shoved in my maw was a big load of mussels and peel-n-eat prawns at Milestones last night. Now, while we are all quick to criticize Milestone's for their general plebeian crapitude, I have to say that their mussels were amazingly tasty. They must have received a golden batch from their suppliers, because every mussel in the dish was incredibly plump, juicy and moist. Considering the last bucket o' mussels I ate (in Detroit, which I'm sure explains EVERYTHING) was the sea-borne equivalent of Biafrans (i.e. emaciated, though mercifully free of circling flies), the Milestone's version was a ridiculously tasty relief.

Now I'm going to go roll around and digest. We are off to a wedding at Rossini's in Gastown tomorrow night. I will report back with any Big Al sightings.

Jenn

Saturday night:

-late night snack at Hapa Izakaya. I shared a bottle of the Indigo Wind sparking sake, and had a glass of the Quail's Gate Chardonnay. Also had a really good dish of beef tongue ("gyutan steak" on the fresh sheet)--rather thick slices of chewy, rich meat. It was so good, we ordered a few more dishes of tongue to share. (I've only recently begun eating tongue again, after overcoming my childhood fear that eating it would mean I've french-kissed a cow. :laugh: )Friends had the bacon-wrapped enoki mushrooms, the unagi on rice, the seared mackerel, and beers. Conversation revolved around my poor driving skills. Everyone had a different story to tell about how I'd endangered each and every one of their lives at one point.....*shakes fist at non-Egullet friends*

Sunday night:

-Feenie's for Burger Club. I like the burgers at Feenie's--sesame on both the top and bottom of the toasted bun, thick patty with a hint of pink in the center. I think it's a good deal for $12, considering you get a nice serving of some pretty darn good fries and a few interesting dipping sauces (I'm partial to the dill mayo). Shared a bottle of the Inniskillin Dark Horse Meritage. I've been feeling sick, so I guess tonight will go down in history as the day Ling had to take home half her dinner in a doggy-bag. :sad: A bit of good-natured (I think? :raz: ) mocking about my driving skills, which ends when peppyre insisted on taking my keys and driving us over to Lee and Tricia's place.

After a glass of wine on the rooftop, I drove over to La Terrazza where one of the guys I'm seeing had a white chocolate cheesecake waiting for me. Unfortunately, I got lost and was driving onto oncoming traffic at one point, so I arrived a bit later than expected. :wacko: The cheesecake (wrapped in phyllo, topped with sour cherries) was still warm when I got there. It was not your standard NY-style cheesecake; it had a lighter mouthfeel and I'm quite sure it contained ricotta. Evening ends with my date making fun of my parking job (a mere 3 feet away from the curb!) as he walked me to my car. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ling (log)

Here's my take on Friday's trio of restaurants.

Lunch with canucklehead, Daddy-A and peppyre at Simply Thai on Hamilton Street in Yaletown. Though it was packed to the rafters, they managed to shoehorn us into the last available four-top. Started off with Spring Rolls and Peek Gai Yad Sai (stuffed chicken wings)... little morsels of deep-fried goodness. These were quickly followed by three selections from their "Power Lunch" menu: Simply Thai Salad (garden greens, cucumber, tomatoes, onions and boiled egg with Simply Thai's special dressing topped with grilled chicken breast), the requisite Pad Thai, and Pork Green Curry. Of all the dishes, I felt the Pad Thai was the weakest; too sweet for my liking. The Green Curry packed a nice amount of heat, but the hands-down winner was the Stuffed Chicken Wings. Two orders of those with a Singha chaser and I'd be all set.

Quick trip around the corner to Ganache Pâtisserie for dessert x 4. I'll post my photo and review on the "Sweets In The City" thread. Needless to say, Chef Peter Fong's pastries did not disappoint.

Ian and I were able to squeeze in a date at Cru, thanks to the ever-gracious Mark Taylor who saved us two seats at the bar on a very busy Friday night. I partook of a Coupe Framboise, and Ian started the evening's libations off with a pint of draft wheat ale. Two amuses-bouches soon appeared to accompany our drinks.

gallery_18820_1524_31417.jpg

Cortes Island Oysters with an orange and ginger mignonette

Wonderfully light and sweet. The perfect way to start off our prix-fixe dinner.

gallery_18820_1524_48986.jpg

Asparagus Velouté with crème fraiche and white truffle oil

Tough for me to comment, as Ian only sacrificed one spoonful of his incredibly delicious soup. Creamy and rich in texture, yet still very bright and fresh tasting. Delicious.

gallery_18820_1524_17964.jpg

Beef Tenderloin Carpaccio with caperberries, truffle aioli and shaved parmesan

Pairing: Kenwood 2002 Sonoma County Zinfandel

Excellent as always. Paired with an extraordinary wine, big on body with lots of blackberry and fig, beautifully smooth finish.

gallery_18820_1524_517370.jpg

Beef Tenderloin with cabernet mushroom demi and blue cheese soufflé

Pairing: Kenwood 2002 Sonoma County Zinfandel

One of my go-to main courses. If ever I’m in need of a really good dinner, I’m assured of nothing but the best whenever I order this dish. Ian usually has the lamb, but he declared this to be one of, if not the best piece of beef he’s ever eaten in Vancouver. And the blue-cheese soufflé? I would never have thought I’d enjoy blue-cheese anything until I tried it for the first time… it started me off on the path to stinky-cheese enlightenment.

gallery_18820_1524_69564.jpg

Pan-seared Local Halibut in a coconut-curry broth with pea shoots

Pairing: Pierre Sparr 2003 Pinot Gris Reserve

Few restaurants in Vancouver, if any at all, do halibut as well as Cru. A perfectly seasoned, well-seared exterior with fork-tender flesh on the inside. The coconut-curry broth was very well executed: extremely soft and flavourful without overpowering the fish. Nicely accented by the round honey and pear aromas of the Pinot Gris..

gallery_18820_1524_6331.jpg

Bitter Chocolate Torte with port-stewed rhubarb and crème fraîche

Pairing: Broadbent Madeira Terrantez Old Reserve

Intense dark-chocolate flavour, velvety-smooth texture, paired nicely with the Madeira’s rich fragrance. I had to pry Ian's fork away in order to get my share.

gallery_18820_1524_30688.jpg

Frozen Passionfruit Soufflé with macadamia-nut biscotto

Pairing: Quails’ Gate botrytis-affected Optima 2003

This was, by far, the runaway dish of the evening. Delicate and light with just the right amount of tang, perfectly tempered by the Optima’s honey notes.

All in all, yet another extraordinary evening at Cru. Mim was wonderfully entertaining behind the bar; unless we have friends joining us for dinner, it’s now our new favourite place to sit.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Mamacat - the newest eGullet member and my dear mother (say Hi to the Vancouver forum, mamacat!) - and I just returned from an amusing evening wherein we kidnapped a few unsuspecting American tourists and dragged them to the Hammie for the GBP.

We were at La Terrazza, enjoying their 7-for-7 special (a selection of 7 small plates and 7 glasses of wine for $7 each, to celebrate their 7th anniversary). Having started with a spinach salad with cold smoked tuna and McClennan Creek Dairy goat feta chez snacky-cat beforehand, we only snacked on one course each. Yes, admirable restraint indeed. So as we were dining, we chatted to our server about how 7-for-7 was a wonderful idea, and the conversation turned to how summer was a slow season for them. Somehow that segued into the business sent their way by concierges, at which point the couple at the table next to us (on their small but delightfully leafy and shady patio) piped up and said they were sent there by the concierge at the Westin Bayshore. They were in town for a few days from NYC.

Fortified by a couple glasses of wine, our table and their table quickly fell into conversation, which invariably turned to where we liked to stuff our faces locally. We, as full-fledged GBP junkies (if only it made you thin like heroin, my god, my life would be perfect), instantly began preaching the gospel of the Hammie, and had rather quickly convinced them not to have dessert at La Terrazza, but instead to follow us up the street, where we would safely deposit them at Our Holy Lady of the Dessert.

So after our paying our respective bills, we led them through Yaletown and deposited them into the care of Chef Neil, and right next to a table anchored by Mooshmouse and *Deborah*, who - coincidentally - had a plate of gingerbready goodness sitting in front of them. Mamacat and I declined dessert as we were on a mission to reach Chapters before closing, and we left our newfound American friends on the patio at the clubhouse. While we do have the smallest sliver of regret for poaching some La Terrazza customers, it was totally worth it. We also left them with a list of must-eat joints downtown, including Parkside and Chambar, and they pledged to go to Parkside tomorrow. So if any of you are there, say Hi to Mitch and Lillian from mamacat and I.

Lunch today was the usual Tuesday trip to Matzusushi in Coquitlam, where I had my favourite piping hot asparagus tempura roll.

Dinner on Sunday was Primo's, a restaurant which gives me transferred embarassment. It was a favourite of mamacat's back in its heydey, but it's now just a bizarre shell of its former self, and I've never seen more than 10 people in there. (NB: I didn't pick the joint, it was Dad-of-snacky_cat's-GF's-daughter's choice.) I had the chicken fajitas, the skillet vehicle of which was filled with a good centimetre of oil, though it did have the virtue of offering a half-chicken's worth of chicken. Had some white sangria, which lacked in alcoholic bite what the chicken made up for with oil. Meh.

Anyway, the point of that whole post was to say that if you ever encounter kindly strangers in a restaurant, take 'em to the HSG. I'm sure it's good karma or something.

Jenn

Recent meals:

Dinner last night with Mooshmouse and some other friends at Hamilton Street Grill. The rest of the party had appies, but I treated my upset stomach to a Campari and soda and some of the special Seafood Risotto....wow! lovely risotto! with fish and shrimp in, and prawns, mussels and scallops on top. We drank a Mission Hill Five Vineyards Pinot Grigio with. For dessert, we shared some GBP (ginger is good for your digestion, after all), and Neil brought out some fabulous sorbets: blueberry, passionfruit, and a green apple that really sang in my mouth. We also got a nice half-bottle of red dessert wine....I’m trying hard to remember, Wild Goose Black Brant? Moosh or Neil will correct me I’m sure. I am somewhat hindered in my recollection by the double Grand Marnier I had a taste for, to send me off to a sweet and dreamless sleep. Happy meeting with snacky_cat and new eG member mamacat!

Sunday was the Feenie’s Burger Club outing, discussed there. After the delicious burger, I also had the molten chocolate cake with peanut butter sauce anglaise and milk chocolate ice cream. It was pretty good, although much more molten than cake...I think I would have preferred a little more cake to it. Nice flavours though.

Last Thursday, I took a girlfriend to Chambar for a pre-Beck show birthday dinner. It’s the place for birthdays, it seems; Sean Sherwood was also there with a birthday celebration :smile:

This is my meat-and-potatoes girlfriend, and I was a touch hesitant to take her to Chambar but she looked at the menu online and figured she’d be able to manage. I had a Bellevue Kriek to start, and she had her usual rum and coke. I had the Moules Congolaise with a Saison Dupont for my main, and she had the halibut on a lemon-yogourt blini, which she liked very much...she also helped me with my frites. For dessert (much more important than a starter!) she had the Dame Blanche (vanilla ice cream with Belgian chocolate sauce and a chocolate tuile cigar), and I had the waffle with chocolate sauce and a Chambar coffee (with Chambord). I can’t remember the last Belgian waffle I had, so I’m not sure how this one would compare to others; I found it a bit ...heavy? but we ate up every bite, of course.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies