• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 2)

Friday lunch

Dim sum at Jade. Overall, we thought some of the dishes were above-average. The baked pineapple pork buns were the best--lots of filling, and the topping wasn't as sweet as the ones on the traditional pineapple top buns. more comments here

...dinner was at Rare. 12 courses. :wub:Pictures and comments here.

Saturday lunch

I took most of the day off so my bf could try Phnom Penh for lunch. We had the Butter Beef and Garlic Fried Squid (2 of my favourites) and he chose some Cambodian pho dish to round out the meal. The pho had shrimp, liver, and pork. Would skip this dish next time.

Dinner was at Golden Szechuan. Pictures here. The food was very good, especially the ma po do fu.

Friday lunch

Dim sum at Jade. Overall, we thought some of the dishes were above-average. The baked pineapple pork buns were the best--lots of filling, and the topping wasn't as sweet as the ones on the traditional pineapple top buns. more comments here

I would have to agree, I think dim sum at Jade is above-average, but I would rank Kirin higher.  Jade for dinner, however...  Had some Alaskan King Crab there a few weeks back that was outstanding.

...dinner was at Rare. 12 courses.  :wub:  Pictures and comments here.

Saturday lunch

I took most of the day off so my bf could try Phnom Penh for lunch. We had the Butter Beef and Garlic Fried Squid (2 of my favourites) and he chose some Cambodian pho dish to round out the meal. The pho had shrimp, liver, and pork. Would skip this dish next time.

Dinner was at Golden Szechuan. Pictures here. The food was very good, especially the ma po do fu.

Also have to agree about the blanched pork belly (link here), very good and an interesting presentation too.  However topping that was dinner at Shanghai River the other night (see below).

My last three were Shanghai River (where I protest that the xiao long bao are the signature dish; that title rightly belongs to the Szechuan crispy smoked duck); the NWCAV kitchen (salmon-amundo); oh and the little Russian bakery near my office where I got a panino for lunch.

Today: Jang Mo Jib, I didn't like the food their this time as much. Perhaps too many chinese. I should have gone to the one with the Korean people.

Saturday: Golden Phoenix? Dim sum at Nanaimo and Broadway... it's cheap but not really... quality not so good. and the "special dishes" are $4 and not good... regular dimsum $1.88. I guess I'd pig out on cheng fun for $1.88. But yea they also charge for tea, 0.70 per person. So... 7 dishes came to $20.84. I say it's too much for bad food.

THis week, grilled calamari at the Fish Cafe in Kerrisdale then tiramisou at Sweet Obsessions on Tuesday, then seafood boxty at St. James Well in Newport Village, Port Mood last night.

:biggrin: Lise

Today: Jang Mo Jib, I didn't like the food their this time as much.  Perhaps too many chinese.  I should have gone to the one with the Korean people.

This statement has me puzzled. You are either saying:

a. the quality of their food varies with the makeup of their clientele; or

b. your enjoyment of their food varies with their clientele.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Today: Jang Mo Jib, I didn't like the food their this time as much.  Perhaps too many chinese.  I should have gone to the one with the Korean people.

I think there was a bit of both.

I wanted a Korean experience and they were playing Chinese music. I don't want to sound racist or anything, I am Chinese. It just had me wondering how come the Korean people that got off the bus went to the other place than Jang Mo Jib.

Like would they cater to more of a Chinese taste than Korean taste?

(ie there are Korean styled Chinese food).

There's also a bit of "I want to hear all this Korean being shouted around the restaurant." I would say Jang Mo Jib caters to a lot of international students also.

While visiting Vancouver this past week, I had lunch at Oysi Oysi 2 days in a row. I really enjoyed it. Not bad prices, alot of variety on the menu, relaxed and quiet atmosphere, and friendly staff.

Lunch Day 1: Raw Oysters, Salmon Sashimi, Baked Oysters.

Lunch Day 2: Raw Oysters, Lunch Combo A (miso soup, choice of tempura shrimp and yam or vegetable, choice of chicken or beef teriyaki, choice of sashimi or california rolls - all for $7.95)

It was a pleasure, though both times it was way too much to finish. :wacko:

I reccommend it:

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=295

~Radio7

the tall drink of water...

Last night, I had pepperoni and mushroom pizza from Domino's. :unsure:

The night before, we had a really late dinner at Marjorie in Seattle after our Cinco de Mayo party. We ate some terrific pan-roasted chicken with silky potato puree, broccoli, and lots of delicious gravy. Also split a morel mushroom pizza (crust was a bit soggy), and the bacon cheese macaroni (too creamy for me, and the cheeses aren't very sharp...but it was good comfort food, nonetheless.) Drank some Syncline Syrah even though it was a bit heavy with our food choices.

Lunch was at Salumi--meatball sandwich, Marco Polo sandwich (braised chicken, prosciutto, green peppers and onions), and the pasta special of the day (spicy salumi with tomato sauce). Gina also brought out a selection of meats (lomo, lamb prosciutto, and a spicy salumi I'm forgetting...), some meat on bread with minty fig and goat cheese, and a braised chicken and mushroom dish. Everything was delicious as always!

Breakfast was at Cafe Besalu--strawberry danish, croissant, ginger biscuit, and coffee. The danish was exceptionally buttery, but everything was really good!

(I also had the opportunity to help host my first real, multi-course dinner party. pictures here!)

Edited by Ling (log)

Today - dropped by Feenies for brunch only to be told there were no tables available even though the place was half empty. Tried Sophie's but didn't feel like waiting in line and noticed Bistro Pastis was open for lunch. We secured a table, no problem, and had a wonderful brunch. My wife had a wonderful French onion soup and I had a nice, light offering of scrambled eggs with chives and wild smoked salmon. We split a no-so-light dish of crispy sweetbreads in what I believe was a parsnip-squash, bacon studded puree. Delicious.

Last night - Went to Don Francesco's. Started with my usual sublime squash-stuffed ravioli in black truffle butter, had a wonderful Hungarian-style paprika patridge for my main course, and finished with the house white chocolate mousse. Don Francesco was in fine singing form, serenading two birthday girls and an anniversary couple over the course of our seating.

Yesterday lunch - Dropped by Northern Chinese Delicacy in the Aberdeen Center on our way to the Richmond Auto Mall. Followed our waitress's advice and enjoyed a wonderful spicy chicken with crispy spinach. Along with the various dim sum items, we also had the restaurant's masterful tea-smoked duck. I can't recommend this particular menu item enough.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Ouisi - Dinner

First time there and I enjoyed the Ribs (the meat really came off the bone) and the corn bread was so good I was full on it before the meal came. Then I finished myself off by asking for more and dipping it in the gumbo. The Pistachio encrusted catfish was a really interesting - and good - concept as well. I wish the sangria came with booze infused fruit.

Moxie's - Dessert / Drinks

I was DD but my friend mentioned the drink she had was pretty 'weak' in potency. The Xango (Chango) which consisted of Bananas in Phyllo and then drizzled with Carmel, brown sugar and cinnamon was really good.

Au Petite Cafe - Lunch

Feeling dejected from Cafe D'lite being closed we headed for Au Petit and waited in the nice line (at 12:00). Not the best plan of action on a Sunday (to go to this super busy place) but it was worth the wait. We ordered the number 1 and 2 Bahn Mi as well as some Pho, the lemon grass chicken on Vermacilli and spring rolls. This time round the spring rolls were as I had said to Sandy 'the best I ever had'. The buns were SO soft on the inside and toasted on the outside. The meat inside was moist and juicy. I looked across the street and cursed at the kids who went to school there. Lucky bums.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I was down in Vancouver this past weekend for the Vancouver Marathon (I ran the half) and got to enjoy some great restaurants while we were there.

We were staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre downtown so we stayed within walking distance when we ventured out to eat.

On Friday night, we went to Sala Thai Restaurant and really enjoyed it. There were three of us and we ordered the Tom Yom Soup with prawns, Chicken Cashew Nuts, the special which was prawns and scallops in a green curry with some thai basil and a veggie dish that was also in a curry sauce. That soup was amazing and I really enjoyed the special, the sauce was delicious. After the prawns and scallops were all gone, I used the sauce to top off my rice.

On Saturday afternoon after we picked up our race packets, we headed down Robson to find lunch and ended up at Joe Fortes. I finally got to taste raw oysters and LOVED them :wub: . We started out with a half dozen of Fanny Bays, Gorge Inlets and Stellar Bays. I only got 2 out of the bunch and had to order some more for myself and got Kumamotos, Effingham and Caraquet. I tried them a few different ways (with lemon and hot sauce, with some freshly grated horseradish and cocktail sauce) but I must say my favourite was with just a bit of fresh lemon squeezed over. I'm just salivating thinking about it. Unfortunately there are no restaurants here in ol' PG that serves them raw but we've got a great seafood shop here that sells them so I will be definitely paying them a visit very soon to buy some. The shop is owned by a couple from back east so they've got Caraquets and Malpeques along with a few different west coast varieties. Just gotta figure out how to shuck the damn things....Along with the oysters, I had the ahi tuna which was absolutely delicious. It was done a perfect rare and served alongside some roasted potatoes and vegetables. We finished off lunch with the creme brulee, cheesecake and tiramisu. The creme brulee was my favourite of the three.

On Saturday night, we had dinner in. We were staying at a condo in the Wall Centre so I had done some shopping on Friday afternoon at the Granville market and picked up the fixings for our pasta dinner to get us all carbed up for the big race. I picked up some fresh pasta from Duso's and make a shrimp scampi dish and another dish with some fresh tomatoes tossed in some EVOO and fresh garlic. The Rosemary olive bread that we had was from Terra Breads and we bought some homemade dressing from The Stock Market. I loved the shopping at the market, you are all so fortunate to have such great, fresh food at your disposal. I also picked up some thai basil, lime leaves, mirin and some red curry paste at the South Seas China stall to bring home with me. I'm looking forward to doing some of my own thai cooking at home.

On Sunday, I was starving and grabbed a smokie from the street vendor on the corner of Robson and Burrard before heading back to our room to toast the completing of our run with some wine before heading out on the town that night. We bought a bottle of the Joie Noble Blend which we all really enjoyed and I was wishing I had bought a few more bottles to bring home with me.

We went to Capones for dinner that night. Food was not too bad but nothing out of the ordinary. Wouldn't have been my first choice but we wanted to enjoy some jazz and were there more for the drinks than the food. I started out with the calamari and had the steak which was done medium rare as per my request. I drank a few of the Tropical Splash Martinis and we also had a couple of shots of some concoction that the bartender had made up for us. Needless to say we had a great time that night.

All in all, I had a great time and really enjoyed the restaurants I got to try. I'm looking forward to when I get down there next and the great food that is to be had in your beautiful city.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Welcome Newbie. Glad you had an eating good time here. I was in P.G. last year and went to a restaurant that formerly was owned by Chef Moreno Miotto. Is it still open and doing well?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Newbie - thanks for the great report.  As the weather warms up and I itching to hit the farmers' markets as well as GI.

Did you have a good race?  Congratulations on attempting something that I will never, ever, ever, do!

Thanks! Yes, I did have a good race. It was my first ever and I completed it in a time of 2 hours and 7 minutes. It was a very satisfying experience to be able to accomplish it....and in the rain nonetheless.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Welcome Newbie. Glad you had an eating good time here. I was in P.G. last year and went to a restaurant that formerly was owned by Chef Moreno Miotto. Is it still open and doing well?

I believe the restaurant that you are mentioning is Cimo's Meditteranean and it is still open and doing very well. I've eaten there a few times recently and really enjoyed it, especially their calamari and their freshly made angel hair pasta with shrimp.

Actually, Chef Moreno is back in PG and has opened a new restaurant downtown called "White Goose Bistro". I was there for work a couple of weeks ago at lunch but wasn't feeling very well and am afraid that my tastebuds weren't working. I had the French Onion Soup and found that it tasted too sweet which I'm unsure was due to my sickness or what so will be going back to check it out again.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I ate at Go Fish on Friday afternoon prior to my shopping exhibition at GI. I was there about a year ago and have been dreaming about the fried halibut and that delicious tartar sauce ever since I've been planning my trip back.

I think there was a bit of both.

I wanted a Korean experience and they were playing Chinese music. I don't want to sound racist or anything, I am Chinese. It just had me wondering how come the Korean people that got off the bus went to the other place than Jang Mo Jib.

Like would they cater to more of a Chinese taste than Korean taste?

(ie there are Korean styled Chinese food).

There's also a bit of "I want to hear all this Korean being shouted around the restaurant." I would say Jang Mo Jib caters to a lot of international students also.

The owners probably hired more Chinese staff thinking that they can better serve their Chinese speaking customers in Richmond, that's all.

Haven't been to Jang Mo Jib do they have good BBQ? Any good dishes to recommend? If it has good food, we'll certainly visit regardless of the servers' or customers' nationality or language spoken.

I have been to too many authentic Chinese restaurants only Chinese go yet the food may not agree to my palate. The same will probably apply to Korean restaurants as well.

Last 3:

Kyung Bok Palace in North Vancouver - wang kalbi was excellent as always, chap chai was not as tasty as before, unfortunately they ran out of the marinated raw beef.

Feenie's - burger, and hot dog is good but I think I prefer Red Onion's.

Le Crocodile - the usual, liver terrine, tomato soup, rack of lamb.

New York last week

My business partner and myself headed to New York on a 3-day binge. We are opening a cured meat, cheese and wine tasting room and were looking for some inspiration. Both of us are big Mario Batali fans and were interested in checking out the Salumeria sections that have become features in several of his establishments.

We were quickly sidetracked, managing to clock up 30 plus establishments.

We ate: quail, langoustine, squab, Paris ham, lamb sweetbreads, hangar tartar, béarnaise ice cream, sturgeon, trout, corned duck, quail eggs, pork belly, fiddleheads, octopus, razor clams, mini burgers, English chips, charcuterie, pounds of cheese…I can’t remember everything.

We visited (ate or drank or both) : Del Posto, Morimoto, Bar Jamon, Casa Mono, Tasting Room, WD 50, Dash Dogs, Tide, Liquor Bar, Turks & Frogs, Tom & Gerry’s, Pop Burger, A Salt & Battery, Hogs & Heifers, Otto, Gramercy Tavern, Artisanal, Le Pain Quotidien, Dean & Deluca, Spotted Pig, The Otheroom, Vesuvio Bakery, Wine Bar, Teany, Blue Smoke, CBGB & the Porto Rico Importing Co.

For a full report view our blog at www.waiterblog.com, click of SALT Blog

MAY THE WIND AT YOUR BACK ALWAYS BE YOUR OWN, MAY THE ROAD RISE TO MEET YOU AND SPLIT YOUR FOREHEAD AND IF YOU COULD SHITE WALKING YOU'D BE A HORSE OF A MAN

The owners probably hired more Chinese staff thinking that they can better serve their Chinese speaking customers in Richmond, that's all.

Haven't been to Jang Mo Jib do they have good BBQ? Any good dishes to recommend? If it has good food, we'll certainly visit regardless of the servers' or customers' nationality or language spoken.

It's kind of like, a Chinese restaurant where they cater to more of a Western taste. Anyways, that's what I was thinking when I was eating there.

Anyways this JangMoJib was on Robson, where there's a lot of Korean restaurants.

I was considering going to the "hole in the wall" one on Denman.

I didn't really like their bbq bulgogi. They don't do the grill it yourself, so it comes out on a sizzling plate. I didn't like how they paired the veggies up with the beef. I had the Galbi the time before that and that was pretty good. I also had their tofu soup (deong gang / miso flavoured) and I liked it. I did not like their seafood tofu soup.

I haven't tried any Korean restaurants in Richmond.

I've only gone to ones on Kingsway, Coquitlam and Downtown.

Last Three places eaten:

Joey's (Coquitlam), It was alright. My friends loved it. I wasn't crazy about the food but their crab dip was certainly interesting. I had the burger and also shared the chocolate souflee. I had their green salad with dried cranberries (replaced the fries with that) and I enjoyed that a lot. Some of their lettuce weren't cut small enough I thought. All in all, the salad was very tasty and I was happy that I chose it instead of my regular choice of Caesar. The burger and soufle were highly recommended but I was a bit disappointed. The dessert seemed a bit overdone (it was crispy); it was kind of a lava cake instead of your usual puffy choclatey goodness.

My friends had the ribs and the maple glazed salmon. The salmon was very good and ribs were good.

Forgot my other two:

Coquitlam:

Insadong: it was quite good. I posted about this in the Korean Galbi thread. I would definitely go back with 4-5 people and order a combo A for BBQ.

Borandsi:

A nice cafe with BBT and board games ($3.50 per person per hour).

I had the Pat Bing Soo (Korean red bean ice) for Five dollars.

YUM!

http://vanshops.com/category/category_view...dx=26509&page=1

Edited by Quarki (log)

Last three dinners out:

Shanghai Palace - always our choice for Chinese comfort food. We stuck to the basics, since there were lots of kids with us. Their won ton soup is the best in town! Won tons in chili oil were good too.

Sassi's Restaurant - Scottsdale, AZ. This was the most amazing meal of my life. I discovered the Chef used to work in NY in one of Mario Battali's restaurants. If you ever get an opportunity to go, TAKE IT! I still dream about it...

Chartwells - Winemaker's Dinner featuring Moillard.

Foie gras terrine, rhubarb gelee, pistachio tuile - not my favorite way to eat foie gras. Much prefer it seared. Like eating a cold tub of butter. Served with Cremant De Bourgogne, Blanc de Blancs

Butter roasted rabbit, almond puree, apple jus - wine: Rully 2003

Morel crusted salmon, fava bean ragout, smoked bacon - wine: Chassagne Montrachet 2004

Seared duck breast, truffle pancake, confit salad - wine: Corton Grand Cru 1993 (this was my favorite dish!)

Brie Souffle, marinated strawberries - wine: Pommard ler Cru Epenots, 2000 - This was a bit of a letdown - there was no flavor of cheese in the souffle, and all in all it was rather bland.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Today I went to Dadeo's- one of Edmonton’s coolest restaurants, once again it was a afternoon visit and the place was still rocking. It is in the space of one of Edmonton’s old diners- booths and the old jute boxes at each table, unfortunately they do not work, but still add to the environment- that is being Cajun and the music definitely is present; not front and center but there- the blues and jazz are the most formidable tunes wafting from the speakers- definitely for me adding to the space and for me (Being blues biased)- love this place. The servers are not totally efficient but are cute and add to the space- fun is what this place is about- more fast and fun food then fine dinning but for me fine dinning can be boring dinning.

sidebar--- why can not somebody do both ( fine dinning service, food-fun space)

I have had the Po-Boys- catfish, chicken, pork; all were ok but the catfish was best, very fresh on the day I had it. I have had the prawns Creole the chicken main course- all where good but not great. It is a interpretation of Creole but not necessarily authentic. Creole sauce is a tough go and I have not seen to many interpretations that have grabbed me by the ****- still waiting for that real kick ass Creole; mixed with lettuce tomato, Cajun tarter, catfish on a French stick; I like mine closed faced- spicy and with a cold beer. Now that rocks.

I still love the place even with its warts and all- in all I have gone about 15 times and have a great time- full the belly and soul every time. It is a fun time and a quick place to get some chow and head out to a movie or clubbing.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Love to see what you guys were/are up to but better do a bit of maintenance on your website.

Edited by John Jameson (log)

MAY THE WIND AT YOUR BACK ALWAYS BE YOUR OWN, MAY THE ROAD RISE TO MEET YOU AND SPLIT YOUR FOREHEAD AND IF YOU COULD SHITE WALKING YOU'D BE A HORSE OF A MAN