• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 2)

I need assistance in picking a good restaurant in the east end near Slocan as I am taking someone to a meeting there tomorrow night and have been told I have my choice of restaurants in that area as payment!

There's always Senhor Rooster on Rupert.

Thanks, dahling for the referral to Senhor Rooster.

We went tonight. I wrote it up under the forum Senhor Rooster; thought perhaps that was more appropriate then here. Just one note, Daniel invented a new sauce today and worked on it all day. A curry sauce which he said had two different kinds of curry and coconut in it. He says it is quite difficult to make a cold curry sauce. It was perfect. He gave us a gift of a curry sauce to take home as we just adored it. I tried to buy it but he said it was on him. The texture was so creamy and like velvet. I don't even care for curry but became converted as of tonight but only for his curry sauce. I will probably become a regular to buy this curry sauce until I figure out how to make this sauce. Its very mild btw. Very subtle and has some ingredient in it that I just cannot figure out but when the sauce hits your mouth its just an exquisite explosion of flavours. My friend just used a whole bun to try out the dipping sauce;I was watching addiction in the making.

Anyway, I guess you get the drift, we liked the curry sauce. He also was working on a new relish which I was too chicken to try when he said it was hot and my friend burnt the hell out of her mouth and was in pain all night....approach his green relish with "extreme caution".

Now, I have to try out the Hamilton Grill and Chambers and some of the other raves.

Thanks again for the referral. It turned out to be 3 min from Sunny Hill hosp.

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

We were over in Vancouver for the weekend and went to Hapa Isakaya on Friday night for a lemon drop martini or two and some wonderful tuna with yuzu marinade, prawns with chili mayo, and gyosa. We also shared one of those Korean sizzling rice dishes (can't remember the name) - spicy and garlicky goodness. It was fun - high energy, and the food coming out of the kitchen (we were at the bar) looked so good and fresh.

On Saturday for lunch we met a friend at Feenie's. I hadn't realised that lunch on the weekend is really more brunch there but enjoyed it anyway. My husband had a Feenie's weenie, and the friend had a goat cheese and mushroom omelet. Me - a salad although I was eyeing the burgers at the next table longingly. However, I knew I had to save room for

Parkside last night. We both had cocktails - mine the frozen pink grapefruit vodka one and his the Knobb Creek whisky sour (his was best). They had a wonderful starter of crab, grapefruit, and avocado with a kind of russian dressing/ remoulade (not as retro as it sounds!).

For mains, lamb with preserved lemon and olives (never met a preserved lemon I didn't like). The lamb was perfectly rare and tender. The other main was venison with a sweet reduction of cranberries and wine and asparagus and potato galette. We had a Cote du Rhone with our mains.

Neither of us opted for the cheval on offer. I'm afraid the sad story of the Toronto mountie and his horse was too fresh in our minds....

Panacotta with berries and caramelized apple tart with maple ice cream did us both in. How does Ling do this day after day?

Oh and we came home with some take-away curries from Rangoli for supper tonight.

You folks in Vancouver have such a great array of places; there were many others I'll have to try next time, NU, Hamilton Street, West ....

I have to get this in, although I am packing madly!

Last night, I took my dad to Parkside to celebrate closing on my new house.

Blood orange Negroni (of course! the only gin I ever drink).

1999 G.A. Rossi di Medelena Lupicaia, Michel decanted it an hour before we arrived. It was dry it was rich, it was flavourful. My dad and I enjoyed it, but it didn't have a lot of finish, so it's not among our very favourites. I wouldn't say no to more, though!

Start: I had a Tain of Dungeness, avocado, pink grapefruit, saffron potato, and a mayonnaise-based pink chili-lime sauce, superlative. Howard had a green and white asparagus wrapped in Holstein ham, with frisée salad with an egg. He didn’t see the point of the egg but loved the rest.

Extra course of foie gras seared, on sliced golden delicious sautéed in Calvados on toasted brioche, and the jus was exceptional. Served with a little Trockenbeerenauslese. :wub:

Main of me: seared venison tenderloin, cranberry black pepper sauce, braised red cabbage with cinnamon that Howard ate more of than I did! some pomme quelque chose and some turnip. Excellent. Howard had the gorgeous, crispy-skinned deboned roasted Cornish hen which he simply adored, with purée of Jerusalem artichoke. It was all wonderful, flavourful, rich but not too rich. We were happy but not dead with food even after four courses. Very well paced. Chef is in Montréal, but the kitchen did not miss a step.

Intermezzo: scoop of mascarpone sorbet served on top of huckleberries and port sauce, drizzled with aged balsamic. Boy, that was good.

“How do you like being treated like a rock star, Dude?” :biggrin:

Dessert: chocolate tart with spiced poached pear and fromage frais ice cream sooo smooth and nice, cornstarch? not eggy. And he had the Vanilla and Grand Marnier panna cotta, also really excellent. Served with a Banyuls (the chocolate tart) and a little glass of Lillet rocks with an orange zest, which he liked quite a bit.

Four hours of really good dinner, outstanding service (of course), yadda yadda yadda.

I will be taking my mother there next time she comes to town, too :laugh: lucky me.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Friday

Collingwood Neighbourhood House

This week, J and I taught the kids how to make shepherd's pie. For dessert, I taught them how to do "ice-cream cone" cupcakes--essentially cake batter that's baked inside a cone, then frosted with icing and decorated with sprinkles to resemble a scoop of ice-cream. The kids loved it!

vincent.jpg

...after that, we stopped by HSG for wine and gingerbread pudding. It's been awhile since I've had the real deal. As good as I remember. Best comfort dessert ever! :smile: J liked it a lot too.

hsgpudding.jpg

Saturday

Opening soon dinner at Rare One

Photos of the incredible dinner HERE.

To summarize, J's favourite dish was the duo of beef--striploin on leeks, and braised beef cheeks on puy lentils. My favourite dish was the seared scallop with pheasant rillettes, and caramelized sherry vinegar .

Sunday

Feenie's

I drank two glasses of the Mission Hill pinot noir Reserve tonight, and it was really good. I'm not usually a fan of Mission Hill, but this was great--lots of fruit, long finish.

The chef sent out this amuse of navy bean ravioli and truffle beurre blanc for my table.

feenietruffleravioli.jpg

I had the tuna tartare with black and white sesame seeds and avocado. There was a thin layer of tiny white fish roe on the top which provided a bit of a nice, briny crunch. This was really good, fresh tuna--I'd definitely order it again.

feeniestuna.jpg

I had my usual mission trout with the cauliflower/lemon puree, wild rice, browned butter, raisins and capers. (Really great, as usual. The presentation was especially attractive tonight.)

feeniestrout.jpg

We shared this as an appetizer...the navy bean ravioli with beurre blanc and bacon.

feeniestrio.jpg

Special of the day--braised lamb shank with polenta. Three of my friends ordered this, and they all exclaimed over how tender the meat was.)

feenieslamb.jpg

Someone had the shepherd's pie and two of my friends had the burger. I'll just post a pic of the burger since I've posted a pic of the shepherd's pie before. The patty was a perfect medium-rare.

feenieburger.jpg

The chef sent out a scoop of sorbet for all my friends...this is a champagne sorbet that's no longer on the menu. Very refreshing, very light. (Sorry about the pic--white on white + flash is not a good combo!)

feenieschampagne.jpg

I had the poire william (pear liqueur) sorbet--richer mouthfeel, more body, less sweet than the champagne. There must have been fresh pear in this--the flavour was incredible! I loved this! One of the best sorbets I've ever had. Served with peanut/chocolate biscotti.

feeniespoirewilliam.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

Even though I haven't been doing much dining out lately,

I had to chime in here after the posts on Parkside.

Significantly better half made reservations there on Thursday for

my birthday on Saturday. On the day, though, we learned a friend

was playing in a band, which is an incredible rarity for him.

We debated all day whether to ditch the Parkside and hear the band.

I've read so many great things about the restaurant and since I don't get to go

to fancy-schmancy restaurants much these days, and since it was

a special occasion I was really torn. As the day wore on, ever mindful

of the courtesy to call and cancel as soon as possible, we finally did

so. Much to our surprise and chagrin, the person on the other end said

there was no record of our reservation! No biggie, I guess, and I only

mention it because I was thinking how I would have felt had we decided

to go. After making a tough choice, and it being my birthday, only to be

told at the door there was no reservation? I woulda wept.

It all worked out anyway, but I wonder how often this happens.

Tried Da Mario on Hastings in Burnaby for the first time. Excruciatingly

slow service, but friendly. And the food was worth the wait.

Other than that, a quick visit to Black Tuna where I was disappointed to

see Chilean Sea Bass on the menu. When I mentioned to the server that

I thought it was endangered, or at least in bad form to serve it, he actually

laughed. Said I must be thinking of some other fish. Whatever.

Third place? Um, well, yummy French toast at Marina Grill, which never disappoints.

C'est tout!

Tuesday

Aki

I watched "Eve and the Fire Horse" at Tinseltown, then J took me to Aki and we had uni, amberjack, sockeye salmon sashimi, yakiudon, California rolls, and steamed clams in sake. Washed the food down with more sake. The sashimi was of excellent quality, and the uni was good. A light hand was used for the soy sauce in the yakiudon, and although it looked much paler than other restaurant versions, it was absolutely delicious--very chewy and peppery. Beef was overcooked, though.

Wednesday and Thursday

I ate non-descript Chinese take-out for dinner both nights. On Wednesday, it was a strange sweet and sour pad-thai-like noodle dish from a restaurant in Richmond called Coconut Cafe, I believe. Someone bought it home for me. On Thursday, it was some 'gong chow ngao hoa' (fried broad rice noodles?).

Friday

Collingwood Neighbourhood House

Today's cooking class featured asian-style honey garlic chicken thighs, bok choy, and apple pie for dessert. I taught the kids how to make pie crust from scratch, and then I made them caramel sauce to eat with their pie. :smile:

I only ate some of the pie though, as someone made dinner for me tonight. :wink:

Edited by Ling (log)

Cod fish n salad at the fisn n chips place in granville island.

We ad 30 minutes to eat something before a play at the waterfront. The cod was flakey and the batter a little on the heavy side. I opted for greens over chips. Sandy ordered a salmon burger with cajon spices. This was mediocre at best. I think Go Fish is still the place to go. Her dish came with chips - they were pretty good but not as cunchy as I like.

Congee Noodle House

Sliced fish congee (again!) and wow this time it was very very good. I could eat this and chinese donuts all day.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Last four places of the week:

Bin 941 for after the winefest nosh

Las Margaritas - haven't been since my university days and felt like old times

Pho Century - little hole in the wall in a strip mall location with some amazing Vietnamese food

Food from the Festival du Bois in Mallardville last weekend - tortiere, sugar pie, maple syrup candy, smoked meat sandwich, poutine - all the good stuff!

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Last 3 places I et? Sure, in reverse order,

Frankie's Italian and Pizza in Mira Mesa (San Diego)...

for an aenemic pizza and an all iceberg antipasto salad. One and a quarter stars

Pho Ho Hiep- a great big #1 bowl of everything. Always great when the head is clogged. Three and a half stars.

Tommy's- for a breakfast sandwich while the wifeoid is sleeping. A fried egg and sausage in a hamburger bun with chili (to die for/from), onions, pickles, a huge tomato slice, american cheese, and mayo. Don't tell my cardiologist! Four and nine tenths stars. It makes me cry I'm so happy to eat such junk after being good far too long and often! :raz:

Darn-- I have no high class places. BUT off to the San Francisco / Sonoma area for WineSonoma's memorial this weekend.

HVR

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

~ We went to Yuji's after the Wine Fest and it was incredible. Nice little wine list, comfy vibe and the food was inexpensive and awesome. The Boiled Chicken Salad, Kiwi Rolls and Tuna Trio were our favourites. So lively and fun there!

~ Kitsilano Restaurant or "Kit's Cafe" to locals for an early afternoon breakfast. For $3.95, it's the best deal around with eggs, bacon, good hash and great thick-cut toast for sopping up eggs.

47616999_882ee0425d.jpg

~ Nat's Pizza for Chorizo Mushroom, Pesto Artichoke & the always-necessary Margarita. I brought some in for the kitchen boys today. Good, rustic thin-crust pie...

k

Edited by kurtisk (log)

Friday

I had lunch with J at Bao Chao all the way out on Slocan (?) in Burnaby. He had the rare beef (on the side) with flank and tendon, and I had the rare beef (on the side) with tendon and tripe. Split an order of (very good) Vietnamese spring rolls. The broth for the pho is a bit more oily than I'm used to (not that I mind), light in colour, but deep in flavour.

Our cooking class made lasagna and the CI sour cream chocolate bundt cake. We bought those ready-cook (no need to pre-boil) lasagna noodles for the kids to layer with the mozzarella, ricotta, fresh basil, ground beef, and sauteed onions, but the top layer of noodle didn't soften at all and had to be peeled off to make the dish more palatable. (Said one kid upon biting into the crispy, dry top noodle layer--"Tastes like chips!" :laugh: Not what we were going for...)

The partially decimated lasagna, with the top layer removed. (I swear, sometimes the stuff we make looks and tastes pretty decent. Unfortunately, yesterday was not one of those days. :wacko::raz: )

Also, note the spinach. Some people think that kids need vegetables.

lasagna.jpg

Cake turned out well--good structure, easy to slice (on the dense side), very moist. It's my second favourite chocolate cake recipe thus far. This was baked in my Nordicware rose-shaped bundt. I taught the kids how to make a "cheat" chocolate buttercream on the side.

bundt.jpg

Keiju.jpg

For my 2nd dinner, I started eating this disgustingly oily Chinese roast duck and Singapore-curry vermecelli from a styrofoam container someone had bought home. The duck was pretty damn bad--not a lot of meat, very greasy, not a lot of the usual spices. It was from Kent's Kitchen. :wacko: I put that away and finished off a pan of brownies instead.

Watched "Hills Have Eyes" with my friend. Went to Tim Hortons afterwards as it was open and on the drive home. Their monthly donut is a lemon one and it reminds me of the KK donut, but eggier (kind of like the crueller.)

Saturday

Vogue in Richmond. The ma pao dofu is pretty spicy (too spicy for parents) but I liked it a lot. :smile: The lion's head meatballs were not that tasty. A lot of filler...weird, gummy texture. Kind of bland.

Edited by Ling (log)

Kent's Kitchen.

Do you know which one, the one with the insane parking lot by London Drugs on Victoria or the one on on Keefer? Maybe it doesn't make a difference though? Both were incredibly busy last time I was there, I think the Victoria drive one had people lined up outside. :wacko: That visit was quite awhile ago however.

Have you by chance tried any of the takeout from that similiar type place on Commercial Drive (don't even know if it's still there, think there was/is another one on Davie)? :unsure:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

^It was the location on Keefer...my sister brought it home. *shudder* GAK. That was the worst Chinese BBQ duck I'd ever eaten.

Ack, that's not good. You'd think they'd have got it right, there. I guess perhaps they've morphed into a Chinese version of Mickey D's. :blink:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Last three:

Baru on Thursday (again all, thanks for the recommendation)

Feenie's on Sunday (had the burger, but with short rib this time - excellent, but too much food)

Arian Perisan Restaurant on Tuesday (finally a Persian restaurant in Kits!)

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Snacky and I just got back from Taos, New Mexico...she worked, I just tagged along because I love the southwest. The three most outstanding meals we had there were all lunches. First at Orlando's, a southwestern/Mexican family place that has been in Taos for years. Not big, not fancy but very popular with the locals and the food is the reason why. I had a chicken taco salad which tasted like none I've ever had before...everything so fresh with the chicken wonderfully grilled and spiced. Next day we ventured off to visit an Alpaca farm in Mora and had lunch at Hatchas, which looked to be the only place in town. Again, not fancy but what an amazing lunch! I had chiles relleno and Jenn had some sort of carne dish (not asada...the other one...adovana or something like that). The sauces were amazing...just the right amount of heat and wonderfully spiced. To go with our plates we had a basket of warm tortillas and Navajo frybread. The frybread was soft, puffy and perfect for sopping up the sauces. We were served a huge amount of food and just about went into shock when the bill arrived and it was $13 & change for both of us! Perhaps our best lunch, though, was at Joseph's Table in Taos. The prix fixe lunch menu was $16 per person and was amazing. A fresh tomato soup, unadulterated with cream, that was refreshing and beautifully textured. It came with a parmesan crisp on top. Next course was a sea bass served over a bed of deep-fried kale (the kale was all crunchy and yummy) with fresh green beans on the side garished with finely chopped tomatoes & chiles. The dessert was called a mocha tart but it was actually an intensely chocolate lava cake with an intensely chocolate sauce. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

OK, I'm going to go over three. Our last night we stayed at a B&B in Santa Fe and the breakfast we had was a standout for the side dish that accompanied the eggs and ham. The cook had made puff pastry shells in muffin tins then filled them with mashed potatoes flavoured with chiles. My oh my, they were so good!

Finally, the place we stayed at in Taos, Casa Gallina, is a B&B where the owner has chickens in the back yard. We got to feed them, collect their eggs and then have those eggs for breakfast. We are now both fans of free range fresh chicken eggs...amazing!

A few days ago, I had dinner with four friends at Phnom Penh.

My current favourite dish--the rare beef with onions, peppers, anchovy/lemon dressing

ppbeef.jpg

butter beef with garlic chips...this is another one of my favourites

ppbutterbeef.jpg

beef filet with rice...we ordered this b/c my friend's gf likes it. Beef is cooked through. Pretty standard stuff.

ppfilet.jpg

ribs...fried. huge portion.

ppribs.jpg

shrimp paste on sugar cane

(not my favourite. No "springy" aka "dan gna" texture...but I'm not a big fan of shrimp paste to begin with)

ppshrimp.jpg

their famous fried squid

ppsquid.jpg

wings...served with the same pungent sauce as the squid and the ribs.

We got two plates of the wings. We are gluttons.

ppwings.jpg

I love Phnom Pehn!

Saturday...Dockside Brewing Company

Dinner resos for 30 at 7pm; it was a birthday party.

I drank the Libery School 2002 Chardonnay (excellent) and had the Effingham oysters with mango salsa. (Gave the salsa to my friend, as I prefer my oysters naked, or near-naked.)

I had a really unfortunate main...I'm still kind of scratching my head over this. Usually, I try to pick the thing that seems the most interesting on the menu...but this dish just wasn't that good at all. I had the halibut "t-bone" with tobiko beurre blanc, coconut rice, pinot-noir poached pear.

The fish was overcooked and undersalted. In fact, I don't even know if there was any salt on any of the items on my plate. The tobiko added a weird texture to the sauce that reminded me of fish cartilage when I was eating the fish...ok so I guess it wasn't as interesting as I had hoped it would be. The pear was fine...but wine-poached pears always remind me of dessert. I thought it would add to the dish, but it just sat off to the side looking strangely out-of-place. The coconut rice had the barest whiff of coconut...it was so bland, none of my friends wanted to eat it either. The rice was topped with a sizeable, unattractive garnish of julienned vegetables coated in batter, then fried.

:wacko:

However, my friend's dish--the lamb sirloin with goat cheese--was wonderful! Lamb was deliciously juicy and tender, with rich brown sauce. Perfect balance of seasoning for my tastes. He gave me three huge bites. :biggrin:

I also had some of my other friend's lobster ravioli--big portion for $19, but pasta was quite thick and not as light-tasting as the ravioli I've had at other restaurants. He thought the dish was just OK and I agree with him there.

Then I went to another birthday party at a club, and by the time we were done, it was 4 a.m. and we were drunk and hungry.

We ate at Pho Hoa. I had the pho with rare beef, fatty flank, tendon, and tripe. J had this grilled pork dish with rice, and gave me a bite too.

Edited by Ling (log)

This month I ended up going to a couple of places more our of nostalgia than anything else. First off, I wanted to take Little Zuke and papa Zuke to Chocoatl, so we ended up at the Yaletown Brewery for lunch. They have a children's menu and give your child crayons and novelties, which is a godsend when you just want a relaxing family meal. I guess we haven't been there for over five years. Mr. Zuke had a pasta dish from the past, and I decided to go beyond the pizza and try the duck salad. I asked to subsitute garlic chips for the other fried allium that was listed, and you know, the salad was quite good. It wasn't exactly as described on the menu, but the flavors were bright and punchy. The duck was sliced cold--it would have been amazing if it had been warm. The smell of truffle oil came wafting off the dish--after reading Andrew's review of the OC, it seems to me truffle oil might be the new balsamic vinegar of casual dining!

At Chocoatl, they whipped up a very dark, bitter soya milk hot choc for my partner, who is lactose intolerant. They make their own soya milk--how dedicated is that? I had the rose (like drinking chocolate in a rose garden), and we got a bit of hazelnut for the little one.

Next two stops were at Sweet Cherubim, where I have not been for years. I had the same thing I've always ordered which is a tofu rice samosa with green salsa (I would love the recipe for that stuff) and green salad with Sunshine Miso Dressing. This is quintessential Vancouver east side food to me-tasty and comforting. I also had a chai and a Chocolate Bliss Ball, which kept me buzzing for hours. A few days later I took my son there, and the samosa was too spicy for him, but he feasted on mango pudding.

Sometimes it's nice to revisit old favorites!

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

butter beef with garlic chips...this is another one of my favourites

ppbutterbeef.jpg

That is my favorite dish at Phnom Penh without a doubt. Glad to see others like it too. I think if there was anything that describes a true father son bonding moment it's having dad order this dish and having me wrap and carve it up. :biggrin:

I've been trying to stay healthy so..

Sunday Night

roasted pecan and kiwi salad with some thick balsamic

- Simple is so good.

Smoked sausage with potato, mushroom and leek soup

- I had no clue what to do with leeks but this experiment went well.

Lorna pointed me to a tart recipe which I intend to try next.

Monday Night

Chicken Saltimbocca (sp?)

- I used some basil between Proscuitto and the chicken

- The pounding is SO satisfying

- After searing the suckers I took em off the heat and looked around for a deglazing agent

- I'm sure some might frown but i had a jar of pickles in the fridge ... :biggrin:

- Just a table spoon or so mixed into the pan to deglaze then follow up with some chicken stock

- A little butter to monter

- Delish! Hint of dilly flavour (not too much)

Tuesday Night

CRU

I ordered the smoked albacore tuna (YUM). This really is quite stellar.

IMGP0111.JPG

Sandy had the Caesar - I Like how they left the lettuce in big pieces for you to cut and assemble.

IMGP0109.JPG

Proceeded to the Carpaccio . Also very good and really nice hunks of asiago shaved on top. I respect an establishment that doesn't skimp on cheeeeeese.

IMGP0113.JPG

I had the tenderloin with blue cheese (look at how well it's melted mmm)

- I loved the leek and mushroom bread pudding too. Damn!

IMGP0116.JPG

Sandy had the Albacore Tuna Steak - It was pretty good but I found it too gingery.

IMGP0118.JPG

Finish off with some Cheese

* Poplar Grove Tiger Blue, Naramata, B.C.

(semi-hard, strong, cow’s milk blue)

- Classic!

* Majorero Maxo, Spain

(firm, truffle-like, raw goat's milk)

- Quite like Chevre

* Taleggio, Lombardy, Italy

(creamy, savoury, semi-soft cow’s milk)

- I swear this reminds of being inside a barn!

* Five-year old Cheddar, Quebec

(firm, sharp, raw cow’s milk)

- So sharp, so good.

IMGP0123.JPG

Desserts consisted of Goat Cheese Cake - Really nice with a hint of tartness.

IMGP0125.JPG

Brown Butter Almond Cake - The ice cream was marvellous - some kind of unique tasting honey and the cake was not as heavy as I had thought.

IMGP0126.JPG

Bitter Chocolate Torte - Wow. Really dense and SO good.

IMGP0128.JPG

Anyone else notice that CRU has a deceptive lighting system. The whole time the outside looked "light out" and we were surprised how early it must be...till I checked out my watch and it read "11:30pm". Holy crap!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The "restaurant" is located in a japanese old folks care home in burnaby. interesting atmosphere to say the least.

Awesome. Some of my most memorable meals have been in hospitals.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Well, we felt like meat ... so I figured that we would take heed to all that advertising on the Team1040 telling me to go to the Kansas City BBQ Shack in Burnaby.

Actually, we went on a Monday (I think) and stopped by Senhor Rooster but it was closed unfortunately. Now that I know where it is i'll have to stop by again. I was disappointed but what can you do?

So, we headed off to the Kansas City BBQ Shack and found out that it was situated within the Brentwood Bowling center adjacent to the fitness club/raquetball club.

It's fairly non-descript with the usual BBQ motif and pictures of blues greats adorning the walls. Nothing special. The salad bar looked pretty bad actually. I was thinking that I was in Mister Mikes all of a sudden.

The sign said to seat ourselves and we did. There was only one server on that evening and she was busy. She later told us that it's not usually that busy on a Monday evening. She was trying hard and seemed nice. Lots of tats on her too. Interesting presentation.

We looked at the menu and it was standard fare. We decided to go for the Chief platter which was supposed to feed 4 people. I should have taken a pic with the cel phone but forgot (sorry eGullet!) but basically it consisted of:

- pork ribs (not bad - standard stuff)

- pulled pork (pretty good, then again i'm a sucker for this stuff)

- bbq chicken (not bad tasting, a little dry though)

- two types of sausage. One was chorizo for sure. The other was something or other. Pretty good actually.

- ham (actually, very good, even better the next day)

- fries (standard)

- brown beans (good)

- rice (adequate)

- coleslaw (not bad - not great)

- table consisted of 3 different types of bbq sauce.

When the platter was brought out we thought "no problem, we'll finish this off" even though we were three guys and the description said "for 4 people". Alas, the description was right. It was quite a bit of food and priced at 44-45 bucks would make it ~ just over 11 bucks a person before taxes and tip. Not bad value. I've had worse. Then again, there's only so much meat a person can handle.

Would I go back there again? Sure, but i'd try out other places first.

I

I had a great time in Seattle yesterday.

One day in Seattle

I hit up:

-Boat Street Cafe

-Fran's Chocolates

-Salumi

-Union

-an EG cocktail party

-Monsoon

-Mistral

...and had more dessert at The Barking Frog. That was pretty much 12+ hours of constant eating. :wacko::smile:

Tonight, I had dinner at Hu Nan. My date ordered, since his family is from that area of China and he's familiar with the cuisine. We had the special, which was a spicy chicken dish with a ton of Szechuan peppercorns, tilapia with a full blanket of diced chili (extremely spicy), and "la ro" which is a special type of bacon, cut into batons and stir-fried with leeks (although we got garlic chives in our dish). The fish was a bit too spicy for me, but I really loved the bacon dish and the chicken dish. Hu Nan gets the stamp of approval from my date too, but he was less impressed with the pork dish than I was (though he still enjoyed it.)

Edited by Ling (log)

I had a great time in Seattle yesterday.

One day in Seattle

I hit up:

-Boat Street Cafe

-Fran's Chocolates

-Salumi

-Union

-an EG cocktail party

-Monsoon

-Mistral

...and had more dessert at The Barking Frog. That was pretty much 12+ hours of constant eating.  :wacko:  :smile:

What did you have at Fran's Chocolates?

LB ... if you click over to her "Day in Seattle" post, you'll find a link to her dessert post contained therin. Pretty impressive.

I gained 10 lbs. just reading that!

A.