• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 3)

DJOblong

Host's note: this discussion is continued from the topic "Truth be told: Where've you eaten lately? (Part 2)"

My first post here - don't expect too much with me with a small baby at home. Impressed by the commitment here - Ling in particular. So much detail!

Yesterday

Lunch at Lift - lovely fish & chips - moist halibut tasted quite fresh and nice beer batter. Good tartar sauce - none of that ruining agent called DILL! (pet peeve) and fries with genuine potato skin on the end indicating genuine potatoey-ness which is always a reassuring sign. Nice Russell Honey Blonde beer accompaniment. GREAT prices - $15 for the fish and chips. Must head back there for dinner some time. smile.gif

Dinner at Hamilton Street Grill. I have read about this place on the forum quite a bit - seems like an old time favourite? I have to say I think it needs a good overhaul in the decor department. Outdoor furniture is truly abominable. Food is OK. Had the ravioli appetizer - nice - and the Hanagr Steak which was tasty but too tough really. The prices should be lower or they should smarten the place up. Hardly anyone there and the service was slow. I won't go back there unless something changes sadly. sad.gif

Lunch today at Phat in Yaletown - BBQ Beef brisket baguette (how many B's in that sentence? Some kind of record?) and an oatmeal & chocolate chip cookie after. tongue.gif

Edited by Smithy (log)

I can't believe you have a small baby at home AND was able to get out that many times in a couple of days.

I don't think I left my house for 3 months after I had my babe....

PS Welcome - your review was great!

Edited by quattroporte (log)

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Dinner at Hamilton Street Grill. I have read about this place on the forum quite a bit - seems like an old time favourite? I have to say I think it needs a good overhaul in the decor department. Outdoor furniture is truly abominable. Food is OK. Had the ravioli appetizer - nice - and the Hanagr Steak which was tasty but too tough really. The prices should be lower or they should smarten the place up. Hardly anyone there and the service was slow. I won't go back there unless something changes sadly. :sad:

You would not be saying that if you had eaten the Gingerbread Pudding.

I love the Hanger at HSG-perhaps the cut is not for everyone.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Dinner at Hamilton Street Grill. I have read about this place on the forum quite a bit - seems like an old time favourite? I have to say I think it needs a good overhaul in the decor department. Outdoor furniture is truly abominable. Food is OK. Had the ravioli appetizer - nice - and the Hanagr Steak which was tasty but too tough really. The prices should be lower or they should smarten the place up. Hardly anyone there and the service was slow. I won't go back there unless something changes sadly. :sad:

I am not sure that HSG can lower their prices anymore than they are. Yes it is a little dated in its decor out front (private dining room is beautiful) but where else in Yaletown or anywhere downtown can you get a 20 oz Angus New York Steak for $32.99, is it still that cheap? They have the best deal on beef around, maybe not as good as that place on the corner of Hastings and Clark but fantastic for downtown. And the ginger bread pudding is fantastic, especailly on a rainy night in the winter time. I am sure the owner could fix up the room and then he would be justified in raising his prices 20% or more. I think that it offers great value. It is too bad that your Hanger Steak was tough. It is a tricky piece of meat to cook but still ranks up there for flavour even if you have to chew a little more. Here is a little info that I didnt know about this cut of meat. Hanger Steak Give the place a second visit. I am sure the owner would love to have a second chance to show you why this restaurant has been around for 9 years.

p.s. Phat rules. Montreal smoked meat sandwich please.

I am not sure that HSG can lower their prices anymore than they are. Yes it is a little dated in its decor out front (private dining room is beautiful) but where else in Yaletown or anywhere downtown can you get a 20 oz Angus New York Steak for $32.99, is it still that cheap? They have the best deal on beef around, maybe not as good as that place on the corner of Hastings and Clark but fantastic for downtown. And the ginger bread pudding is fantastic, especailly on a rainy night in the winter time. I am sure the owner could fix up the room and then he would be justified in raising his prices 20% or more. I think that it offers great value. It is too bad that your Hanger Steak was tough. It is a tricky piece of meat to cook but still ranks up there for flavour even if you have to chew a little more. Here is a little info that I didnt know about this cut of meat. Hanger Steak Give the place a second visit. I am sure the owner would love to have a second chance to show you why this restaurant has been around for 9 years.

p.s. Phat rules. Montreal smoked meat sandwich please.

How did you order your Hanger, DJOblong? It won't do to eat this cut medium.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I am sad you did not enjoy your hanger. As stated, sometimes a tricky cut. I have sold nearly 6000 servings of this in the last few years so I know it can be good. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and ours did not cut it. It happens. I appreciate the feedback. I am not here to tell you you are wrong or anything like that. Perception is reality, and this was what you saw. Good for you for speaking up.

The room could use a little work. I am in the last 150 days of a ten year lease and have not signed the new one yet. Although it is coming, I am reluctant to spend any more $$$ on the room other than day to day maintanence. If the rumours of the big chains coming into the neighbourhood are true, I will have to give the room a facelft.

As for the service being slow, now that concerns me. Perhaps a few more details of your visit will help me track the server down and give them a good beating.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

As for the service being slow, now that concerns me. Perhaps a few more details of your visit will help me track the server down and give them a good beating.

You see what happens when you leave the roost for an evening Neil? (And before any of you go nutso over the beating comment, I'm almost 100% sure he's kidding. :wink: )

My last 3?

Taco Shack - My 12 y.o declared these even better than the tacos in Mexico! Definitely the best of the 3 visits I've made, convincing me it's best to eat them ASAP after ordering.

Salt - Meat, cheese, wine & chocolate for dessert. Sure, I'll hurdle a few winos for another visit.

Dairy Queen - after a belated birthday rib-fest last night, my stomach just wanted something cool. Chocolate milkshake. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

I have to step in to back up the HSG servers. Having been there several times in the last 9 months as it is little g-man friendly (see Dining with a Baby thread for more details), I have spent a lot of time there and the two regular guys in particular (the muscley guy and the skinny guy) have always been great. Maybe DJOBLong was in on an off night...

To keep this on topic, my last three:

Last night: Rekado's

Sat lunch: Rekado's

Friday night: Rekado's

New Phillipino place on Main Street around the corner from my house that is coming in mighty handy while my kitchen is under renovation. They have good dumplings and good barbecue. Looks like a Cactus Club. Prices are reasonable. Larry the owner is a nice guy, I am getting to know him well.

I have to step in to back up the HSG servers. Having been there several times in the last 9 months as it is little g-man friendly (see Dining with a Baby thread for more details), I have spent a lot of time there and the two regular guys in particular (the muscley guy and the skinny guy) have always been great. Maybe DJOBLong was in on an off night...

To keep this on topic, my last three:

Last night: Rekado's

Sat lunch: Rekado's

Friday night: Rekado's

New Phillipino place on Main Street around the corner from my house that is coming in mighty handy while my kitchen is under renovation. They have good dumplings and good barbecue. Looks like a Cactus Club. Prices are reasonable. Larry the owner is a nice guy, I am getting to know him well.

For my sake, I hope it is the skinny guy I have to lay a beating on.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I've got to agree wholeheartedly with this. The Gingerbread Pudding is probably one of the BEST desserts in the city (and I eat dessert a lot). When I actually think back to the 2 times I've eaten there (the lamb shanks both times); I don't think I actually liked it. :shock: It was tender enough but I guess all the hype about made me wish it would convert me into appreciating shanks but alas it wasn't the case. Bias speaking; I don't like lamb shanks. :raz:

Service was great both times and I filled out the "rate the experience" card and they sent me an email for a complimentary appy for my b-day. Only Chambar has done this as well.

More on HSG.

Went Friday night. I cannot believe the place was not packed. Even though there has been some talk in the media regarding the damage Canada Line construction is doing to the local merchants you don’t really notice it until you witness a half-empty for yourself.

It is important for the community to make a point to go into the affected business, such as the HSG, and give support. Considering the fact that the construction will go on for at least another year, I hope Neil and the rest of the affected merchants will stay and fight.

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

There have been some challenges getting people into Yaletown.

Besides the Canadaline, this last couple of weeks has seen sewer upgrades on the 1100 block of Hamilton, in front of Ciopinnos, on both Friday and Saturday nights as well as a gas line upgrade on Drake, between Pacific and Hamilton.

I think of the five entry points / exit points in Yaletown, four were blocked off or being worked on.

I serve on a commitee that works with business / communication issues throughout the entire Canadaline project as well as being president of the Yaletown Business Improvent Assoc. We really have our work cut out for us if we are going to help some of the businesses in Yaletown survive the 28 month build of the Canadaline. I am affected but nothing like the people around the corners of Mainland / Davie and Pacific. Only 24 more months to go.

FYI : Yaletown is the only area affected throughout the entire length of the build. Some areas are cut / cover / and move on. We get it for the full run.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Three places I USED to go to but don't because of the sounds of drilling, the constant mess of water and dirt and the view of construction fencing.

1.) Jugo Juice on Pacific and Davie

2.) Quiznos on Pacific and Davie

3.) Coffee shop at Opus.

I know this is off topic but....

I feel for the owners at the shops on Davie at Pacific. Jugo Juice used to be a prime summer hang out. There were always customers there. Now??? Dead. the patio is not usable because of all the scaffolding. 24 months? Are there any concessions to businesses that are impacted by the contstruction?

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

On a more positive note, the mess should be ending soon, and then they will get down to serious digging.

The concrete mess is called Micro piling. It is used to support the sides of the hole while digging, so the streets and buildings do not cave in. They ran into some difficult soil and it ran a little longer than planned. Once this is over, Mainland will be back open with a temp. bridge across Davie and the concrete sludge will be gone.

The hoarding around the site will get changed, and some signage as well as some public art will be installed to help tidy up the look of the dig.

The Tunnel Boring machine is chuggig under False Creek as we speak, heading towards Yaletown.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

We are fans of Rekados as well-a solid neighborhood joint, very child-friendly. I had a good lunch with my son at Crave the other day. We split an order of the beer batter fish and chips. The batter tasted like my mom's--it had the real bitterness of the hops in it. The addictive creamy tartar sauce was full of capers and pickles, and most of the fries were good--golden brown and well-seasoned. I had a glass of their unsweetened iced tea. Service was friendly and prompt and they have finally turned down their music! Thank you!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Pizza Hut because my room mate insisted...I do think their pizza is very greasy and I always get major heart burn

White Spot Nothing remarkable, I always have the red clam chowder because I can never find anywhere that sells Manhattan Clam Chowder. I hate Boston Clam Chowder. I really do not like white anything. It seems only White Spot and the BC Ferries offers red clam chowder. I make better Manhattan clam chowder but it is nice to have someone else prepare it. I can eat soup anytime of year. Had of course a mushroom burger. I think burgers are about the only thing to eat there. I eat there for nostalgia, been going there since I was a little girl and the prices are good when your are not flush. Despite their commercials with Feeny, there is no way, they are gourmet!!!! I did notice the last hamburger I had was major improvement though from one I had about six months ago. More meat so wondering if they are revamping recipe.

Old Surrey House A meal to remember....got in on special that they were runnin for month of July and August. 45.00 for each person

Prawns ProvencaleA classic appetizer sauteed with onions, garlic and fresh tomatoes.

this is always my fave appy at this restaurant, the butter and garlic just stands up to be noticed.....the prawns are so succulent......I always want more...it does prime the appetite

Caesar Salad

Made at our table, fresh egg,red wine vinegar,oil,fresh garlic,anchovies,cheese,lovely croutons and I may have missed something...

very good

Chateaubriand Bouquetiere

Traditionally French, the Chateaubriand features a 8oz Filet Tenderloin flambeed tableside with Remy Martin Cognac

came with red peppers,leeks,asparagus,baby potatoes,stuffed tomato with parmesan,sea asparagus,mushrooms

asked for medium rare and it was medium rare....It was delicious and a great cut of beef

Cherries JubileeFlambeed in Kirsch & Cherry Brandy and smothered over vanilla ice cream

First time I have ever had this, and personally not sure what the fuss is all about this dessert. My room mate thought she had died and gone to heaven.

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

Habit - good as always...love the halibut and chicken wings

The Main - first time there...I had a pepperoni/mushroom/fresh tomato pizza which was excellent. My buddy had the roast lamb which he devoured. Will go back!

Sweet Revenge-Very cool dessert place. Had killer apple pie with ice cream...decent indian chai tea.

My dad and I went to Aurora Bistro last night for a long-overdue visit.

It was a pleasant evening, not too hot. We arrived just after 7:00 to find four other tables occupied, not bad for a Monday night. They have a special on: three courses, three wines, $48; but we opted to order from the regular menu.

We ordered a bottle of Golden Mile Cellars 2004 Cabernet-Syrah, not spectacular but completely serviceable, something I’d order again. Chef Jeff kindly brought us an amuse, a teaser of the Smoked Salmon and Chouriço Rillette currently on the menu, with a jicama and...fennel? salad on top. I liked it, the salmon I assume is house-smoked, it was a nice texture combination with complex flavours.

We also got to look at some pictures of Chef’s new son Ronin, who, of course, is adorable :biggrin:

We both started with a Stoney Paradise Heirloom Tomato Salad, as juicy and delicious as you could want: regular red tomatoes, green tomatoes, orange tomatoes, and the Sungold orange cherry tomatoes which I happen to think are the absolute star of the tomato world. Served simply with a gazpacho vinaigrette and some Gort’s Gouda. We were both very happy with it, summer on a plate.

For mains, my dad once again had the Maple and Mustard-Glazed Pork Tenderloin, and, predictably, cleaned his plate. He just can’t get any further on the menu, he loves that pork so much :laugh: I had a beautifully cooked piece of halibut, served with (I suspect) Milan’s haricots chers, chanterelles, peaches, and I am drawing a blank on the name of the starch. :blush: It was nutty and delicious.

We were sorely tempted to have dessert (Wild Huckleberry Trifle! the superfabulous Dark Chocolate Pâté!) but I had saved a bit of birthday cake for my dad to taste, and we didn’t think we could manage two dessert courses on a school night. Next time!

Thanks so much to Chef and the rest of the crew for an excellent dinner. Aurora remains on the short list.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Bridges at Granville Island on the dock patio

-i always have the smoked salmon pizza, it's so good!

Havana on Commercial

-we used to go here all the time, now we sometimes just go for drinks, the food seems to have gone a bit downhill? The Chicken Wrap has always been good though

Il Giardino

-we had a very good dinner here, the food and service were excellent, it has such a nice homey feel to it

I can never find anywhere that sells Manhattan Clam Chowder. I hate Boston Clam Chowder. I really do not like white anything. It seems only White Spot and the BC Ferries offers red clam chowder.

The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver has a Manhattan Seafood Chowder as their house soup. It has mixed seafood (fish & shellfish), and is very popular, so I guess it's considered to be pretty good. Available in both Griffins and 900 West Lounge.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

We ate on the patio at Parkside this past Sunday as recommended by a number of you and we are definite converts. We will absolutely be back. We liked it much better than West but that may be just us. We were served by Zahara as well as two gentlemen although I didn't catch their names.

I had the appetizer special which was Deep-fried Zuchinni Blossoms stuffed with herbed ricotta. I'd never tried zucchini blossoms and was glad for the opportunity. They were delicious. Not greasy, just crisp with the lovely flavour of the fresh herbs. With Zahara's input I chose the Fillet of halibut with fresh chanterelle mushrooms, lemon, parsley, garlic and crushed new potatoes for my main. Also, oh my goodness delicious. Perfectly seasoned. My husband thought it was good but thought his main was better. I don't agree. :) Dessert was Okanagan peach tart with yoghurt sorbet and pecan praline. The peaches and sorbet had wonderful flavour and complimented each other well. My only complaint is the crust was a bit soft so I left most of it. I'm pregnant so I was a bit limited for drinks. They asked if they could make me something fruity and virgin, made with their home made sorbets. It was raspberry and I could have had several but I needed room for all the great food.

My husband, Matt, began with Crisp fried Deep Bay Oysters wrapped in pancetta with lemon, chili, garlic butter and corn relish. He hasn't had oysters in quite sometime and never this way. He thought it was fantastic! His second course was Bucatini with tuna, olives, capers, anchovy, garlic and parsley. He didn't like this as much. Neither did I. It was good but he wouldn't order it again. For his main he chose Grilled lamb tenderloin, gnocchi & fava beans, pea puree, mint & olive oil jus. He said he could eat it everyday! The lamb was perfect and he really liked the gnocchi which I don't think he expected. I tried his lamb but I still think my halibut was better. For dessert he had Coupe glacée: dark chocolate ice cream, house made marshmallow, cherries & white chocolate foam minus the cherries. He doesn't like fruit and chocolate. He let me have one very small mouthful and it was divine. The icecream was deliciously bittersweet and smooth. The white chocolate foam and marshmallows offset it perfectly. I had hoped he'd ask for wine pairings but he decided on cocktails instead. He had the Pim's cocktail and a Mojito. Loved the Pim's, enjoyed the mojito but didn't like that the mint was crushed instead of left whole. Personal preference I guess.

The service was timely and friendly. The food fantastic. Thanks to you, we now know what the fuss is about and we'll be back.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

A weekend of good food and a couple of service miscues for us....

Friday night - Toshi's. Lots of waiting for lots of sushi. Worth it.

Saturday night - Rekados. My wife is filipina and we've been to dozens of parties, weddings, etc and the food has always been amazing. We rarely venture into Filipino restaurants; however, and when I read a few comments on this board I thought Rekados will be a must visit on the next trip into town.

Shared some lumpia shanghai to start which were pretty good - nice crisp wrapper, decent amount of ground pork filling, spicy sweet dipping sauce and a very tasty pea shoot garnish. Next we had tanigue - two almost boneless fish steaks covered with a coconut milk based sauce with curry, shrimp paste and spices. Very good. The excess sauce was great over rice. We also had grilled short ribs and pancit bihon (fried rice noodles) . The short ribs were flavourful but quite tough - wouldn't order them again.

The bihon order never arrived and when we asked our server we were told the order was misplaced in the kitchen. We had basically finished dinner and would have been quite happy to call it a night. Our server insisted on bringing us the order - on the house (we ended up having it today for lunch). The manager also brought out a complimentary trio of ice creams mango, ube (purple yam and jackfruit) a scoop of each on a chinese style soup spoon.

Rekados will be a great place to bring our non-filipino friends in future to introduce them to the cuisine.

Sunday night we went to Northern Delicacy and encountered more kitchen mistakes with our orders. This was our second visit and again the food was very good. Tea smoked duck was the highlight (thanks for the recommendation Lord Balthazar).

However, both times we've been to Northern Delicacy there have been miscues with the orders. Last night our first dishes arrived very promptly. Then we waited. And waited. Servers came round wanting to clear our tables. No, we said. We're just starting. Tea replenished several times. Servers checked with kitchen. Still no food. We summoned the manager. He checks and informs us there's been a problem with the computer. Apologizes profusely. Five minutes later the remaining dishes arrive. Total time elapsed between second and third courses - between 45 minutes and an hour.