• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another new one.

I am a retired pilot.  I worked/lived almost everywhere during my career.  I’ve been interested in cooking as long as I can remember.  In my travels I’ve found that the average person (outside of the U.S., England and Australia) has a deep understanding of their own “ethnic” food.

My wife calls me a “peasant cook.”  Generally I’m more interested it local home cooking or food served in workingman restaurants.  I seldom buy cookbooks anymore.  I check the www for a number of recipes and use them for a guide.  I am a lifelong knife collector.  I also collect “kitchenalia”.

I recently moved from Australia to the Northwest coast of Oregon.  Excellent seafood here - as there was there..

I use the name Bernoulli.  I was taught in the USAF that Bernoulli’s theorem is what makes airplanes fly.  It isn’t.  I find that funny, but I love the sound of the name.

Welcome, Bernoulli!  As a physicist and flight instructor I appreciated your member name immediately.  

When your wife refers to you as a 'peasant' cook, I hope she isn't denigrating your food!  What kind of peasant food in particular do you like to prepare?  Do you have favorite cuisines from the various places where you've been stationed over the years?

There are a lot a seafood aficionados here - of the 'cooking' as well as the 'eating' sort of enthusiasm.  We also have a lot of collectors and users of kitchen gadgets, both old and new.  Your introductory post came in as your 7th post, so it's clear you've been exploring the forums.  Please, continue to join in on the discussions!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown